Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Saw a Dick Harrell car today, must say I am very disappointed by the quality...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
He was in one of the large magazines with that car and he said that's the car he drives to and from work everyday so yes it sounds like it gets driven quite a bit.
Yeah, I read the same article which is why I figured it was daily driven and the change confirmed it I don't have the mag anymore but I could swear the side stripes used to be different... Can you confirm this?

About the quality, I have seen the Dick Harrells in person and all the ones I saw were very high quality builds. No waves in the fenders or anything, looked like it cost what it does based on the quality.
I didn't see the waves in this one at first either but once you saw them, man you saw them...

BTW the hood scoops are added to the stock hoods not on a fiberglass one.
What type of hood though? I thought it looked stock as well but then the material was NOT metal (I tapped on it as did Mike )... My factory hood was metal and I know these cars did NOT start off as SS's (the only non-metal Camaro hood I know of)... Did they take apart SS hoods?

I figured they just made a mold of the bottom of a metal hood and glassed it
Old 06-01-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember when GMMG was building this particular car it has the Edlebrock cat back and the Edlebrock shocks on it along with a few other Edlebrock parts ... Vic requested for the car to be built with some of his parts on it .. this car has been driven quite a bit .. I saw it on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2006 ... I do not remember this car looking any different than any other of the DH cars that GMMG built and I have seen at least 90% of the ones that were built ... I have never seen a DH car that did not look great ... Please tell me where you see any poor workmanship on any of these cars ... I saw the first DH edition prototype that was built off of the original Sonoco car that GM Performance Division built and it had no flaws the craftmanship was outstanding ... none of the dozens of DH cars that I have seen had poor craftmanship ... the orange car in the photos was built for Dickey Harrell's daughter and was featchered in GM High Tech Performance Magazine and was a center fold ... the other car that was featchered in the centerfold and article in GMHTP magazine belonged to a friend of mine who was one of the techs who built all of those DH cars and it was the prototype car # 1 ... The photos that you have posted do not show any of the flaws that you describe ... ... I just find it hard to beleive especially coming from someone who drives a very run of the mill nondiscript car like you drive ... I gotta run up the flag on this one .. .. sounds like envy, jealousy, or just soure grapes to me .. Either that or the OP is trying out for troll status ..

Old 06-01-2008, 03:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it got in an accident and the body shop who fixed it didn't do a very good job...?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have never seen a DH car that did not look great ... Please tell me where you see any poor workmanship on any of these cars ...
Did you READ the post or are you just retarded... I FULLY explained where I saw the flaws. Book a flight I'll be happy to go point them out with you

The photos that you have posted do not show any of the flaws that you describe ... ...
Well I guess it is a mass hallucination since others noticed the hood alignment as well

I just find it hard to beleive especially coming from someone who drives a very run of the mill nondiscript car like you drive ...

I gotta run up the flag on this one .. .. sounds like envy, jealousy, or just soure grapes to me .. Either that or the OP is trying out for troll status ..
I think you just like anything with DICK in it and should go back to other forums more sutied to your tastes
Old 06-01-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The photos that you have posted do not show any of the flaws that you describe ... ... I just find it hard to beleive especially coming from someone who drives a very run of the mill nondiscript car like you drive ... I gotta run up the flag on this one .. .. sounds like envy, jealousy, or just soure grapes to me .. Either that or the OP is trying out for troll status ..
Ehhh... Even Ray Charles can see the downright terrible fitting hood. As far as the "very run of the mill nondiscript car" comment... What? He's put a lot of work into his car that he's done mostly himself and it's pretty damn nice. Let's see your not run-of-the-mill supercar, shall we?
Old 06-01-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

featchered in the centerfold... hard to beleive especially...
please learn to spell basic words correctly. it is so apparent when i read through posts on this site how stupid some of the american population is. it is so sad that you are the future of this country... or the present??
you cant even spell your city or state right!

6litereater's car is amazing...and that's all there is to it.

now go buy hooked on phonics!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate that spoiler...
Old 06-01-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Theres a lot of cars like that, especially with classic cars. In pics they look awesome, at a passing glance they look great but if you get some one who really knows body work or has restored a similar car correctly, they can start pointing out tons of flaws or errors in the way the car was restored. Most people when they see a car like that they are kinda in shock due to the rarity to really take a close look at it. Far as peoples cars on here being nonscript or generic looking, most every ones car has a combination of the same 10 mods in some form or fashion.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Either way all the DH cars I've seen in person have been done very well without the flaws listed.

6LITEREATER - Vic's car always had those wierd side stripes on them.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can confirm that the stripes have indeed been changed. They used to be black Dick Harrell stripes just like most of the other cars.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

That could be one bad car in the batch, I mean you don't always **** a solid log do you?

Nothing can look as good as your car either so....
Old 06-01-2008, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

I remember when GMMG was building this particular car it has the Edlebrock cat back and the Edlebrock shocks on it along with a few other Edlebrock parts ... Vic requested for the car to be built with some of his parts on it .. this car has been driven quite a bit .. I saw it on the Hot Rod Power Tour in 2006 ... I do not remember this car looking any different than any other of the DH cars that GMMG built and I have seen at least 90% of the ones that were built ... I have never seen a DH car that did not look great ... Please tell me where you see any poor workmanship on any of these cars ... I saw the first DH edition prototype that was built off of the original Sonoco car that GM Performance Division built and it had no flaws the craftmanship was outstanding ... none of the dozens of DH cars that I have seen had poor craftmanship ... the orange car in the photos was built for Dickey Harrell's daughter and was featchered in GM High Tech Performance Magazine and was a center fold ... the other car that was featchered in the centerfold and article in GMHTP magazine belonged to a friend of mine who was one of the techs who built all of those DH cars and it was the prototype car # 1 ... The photos that you have posted do not show any of the flaws that you describe ... ... I just find it hard to beleive especially coming from someone who drives a very run of the mill nondiscript car like you drive ... I gotta run up the flag on this one .. .. sounds like envy, jealousy, or just soure grapes to me .. Either that or the OP is trying out for troll status ..
Thats funny. i wouldnt say 6litereater would ever be a troll. as far as the "Run of the mill" statement. thats a little unfair. in that case, everyone on this board has a "run of the mill" car, except for the dick harrells? come on now. the guy is just saying what he saw, and i think hes reputable enough around here to take his word on it. these cars are no doubt bad ***, and hes not ******* on them. i would venture to say also that he doesnt think his car is better.....
Old 06-01-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
That could be one bad car in the batch, I mean you don't always **** a solid log do you?
that might be excusable for a mass-produced, multi-hundreds-of-thousands-of-units-made car, but for "special edition" cars like the Dick Harrells.....there IS no excuse. problems such as the ones described by the OP should not exist on a car that expensive.

the only way this doesn't reflect poorly on the guys who made the car is if the car was in an accident after the owner took delivery of it, and it was repaired poorly by some average, shitty body shop.

but even then, i wouldn't trust such a car with a shitty body shop, and most definitely would not take the car back until they had it looking like new again.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned

I'm wondering if it didn't leave the shop like that but cured later and ended up like that...

Thanks for the complimentary comments though
Old 06-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

Here is another one to compare against. This one is for sale on Craigslist http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/car/702728822.html

And I do not care what anyone says, if my hood (on my very run of the mill nondiscript car) fit like this around the headlights...I would have been pissed.

On a $100k car, those kind of little details should be much better than they are.

Last edited by XtinctZ28; 06-02-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Holy crap, all these comments on how much and I was going to go search I was thinking like 40k in which case I was just going to say blah well I guess its not that much but over 100k and it looks like that o.O WTF

This last hood above me is horrible.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Did you READ the post or are you just retarded... I FULLY explained where I saw the flaws. Book a flight I'll be happy to go point them out with you

Well I guess it is a mass hallucination since others noticed the hood alignment as well

I think you just like anything with DICK in it and should go back to other forums more sutied to your tastes

I do not need to book a flight to see this car I saw it when it was being constructed and I saw it after it was completed. I have seen 90% of the wide body cars that were produced by GMMG and the craftmanship was outstanding. Keep in mind that the hood could have been removed and when it was put back on it was not aligned properly on any of these cars after the car left GMMG. I could see that happening. I have never seen any paint or body work on any of the these cars that was less than outstanding. GMMG has a very good reputation that was earned by producing great specialty vehicles. You are the only one who has ever criticze the quality of the build their cars. These cars have been featured in many magazine articles and at many automotive events. They have received nothing but stellar reviews. You are the one lone voice out there calling out that they build poor quality vehicles. When you resorted to name calling and a personal attack it just reinforced my feelings that you are a just a jealous, envious person. A person that wants to demean a much nicer car than the one that you drive. Maybe you chould check into attending a anger management class or seek some counseling to help you with your obvious problem.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen 90% of the wide body cars that were produced by GMMG and the craftmanship was outstanding.
Meaning you haven't seen this one, like the OP has in person, correct? You're asserting that the craftsmanship on this car can't possibly be bad because you've seen others that were constructed well? I'm not trying to single you out in particular so please don't feel hostility, I am just trying to understand where your logic is in that argument.

I appreciate the OP actually giving first-hand experience, whether it is good or bad, with another Dick Harrell car. Is anyone really surprised that a DD DH car could be in less than optimal shape? Being a detailer I can tell you that a very expensive car in less than perfect shape for it's purchase value is of no surprise at all and often the norm.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are they perfect? No . . . But REMEMBER:

These cars are HAND built . . . nothing mass produced . . .

And 2nd, atleast SOMEONE had the ***** to build it . . .

Hand built cars have "unique" features or flaws . . . whichever you choose . . .

The 63 Grand Sport Replica Vette I helped build, looked awesome, but it too had what one could critique as horrific flaws, but it still sold for over $100,000 and was a BLAST to drive.

When you build a car like this with materials of diffent charateristics, and "moldablity" issues that you find aweful occur.

When you build a car yourself, then critique . . .
Old 06-02-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

When you resorted to name calling and a personal attack it just reinforced my feelings that you are a just a jealous, envious person. A person that wants to demean a much nicer car than the one that you drive. Maybe you chould check into attending a anger management class or seek some counseling to help you with your obvious problem.

lol. You attacked and insulted him because he was expressing his opinions on a car that's not even yours! You need to go seek help if you're getting butt hurt over someone elses car! Saying that he must be jealous of the car because of what he said is just ludicrous. I think we all know who has the problem in this thread.

Quick Reply: Saw a Dick Harrell car today, must say I am very disappointed by the quality...