Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

so are C6 Legal on the track (shaved door handles)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008 | 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Default so are C6 Legal on the track (shaved door handles)

I know your think this doesn't apply to Appearance and detailing but it does. I've been looking for some shaved door kits and did searches like I was supposed to do and i found a few good threads. I also saw a lot of this, "You know you cant go to a legit 1/4 track right? if you flip the emergency crew has to be able to get inside. " the very first thing that went through my head was, what about C6 Corvettes? what if the battery gets damaged or the wires get severed? So with that said are C6 corvettes legal to race stock?

second thing is are there any official write ups on shaving door handles? i cant find one? thanks guys and gals!
Old 06-01-2008 | 05:20 PM
Launching!

C6's have external door handles.
Old 06-01-2008 | 05:28 PM
On The Tree

the have a button on the door that you press and it opens the door similar to a shaved door handle but not the same.
Old 06-01-2008 | 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

but in a freak accident if the battery is disconnected and the driver is unconsious, will the door open from the outside?
Old 06-01-2008 | 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
but in a freak accident if the battery is disconnected and the driver is unconsious, will the door open from the outside?
regardless the doors will be locked anyway from the inside by the driver or the automatic locks.....passanger window plus + blunt instrument = fastest way to get in.
Old 06-01-2008 | 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't there some manual release for these??? I think I remember reading this, but I could be mistaken.
Old 06-02-2008 | 09:41 AM
On The Tree

well if the blunt force tactic is used why wouldn't shaved handles be legal?
Old 06-02-2008 | 10:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ryarbrough
Isn't there some manual release for these??? I think I remember reading this, but I could be mistaken.
They come with one key that is to the rear hatch. There is a manual release lever in the back for the driver door in a just in case senerio. Or if the battery is dead.
Old 06-02-2008 | 03:26 PM
On The Tree

but wouldn't you still need to get inside? i mean f-bodies have a key that goes to the back glass to.
Old 06-02-2008 | 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

they all have ONSTAR, which has a 10 minute battery backup. If the airbags deploy or if the sensors detect a sever enough crash, the Advanced Automatic Crash Notification system turns the dome lights on and unlocks the doors.
Old 06-02-2008 | 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick Fix - Dont wreck.
Old 06-02-2008 | 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

they all have ONSTAR, which has a 10 minute battery backup. If the airbags deploy or if the sensors detect a sever enough crash, the Advanced Automatic Crash Notification system turns the dome lights on and unlocks the doors.

why cant everyone give perfect answers to questions like this lol
Old 06-02-2008 | 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bricez28

why cant everyone give perfect answers to questions like this lol
In a perfect world, they all would work, but in a racing scenario at obvious high speeds, there is no guarantee that they would survive a crash. Also, is that battery backup even connected to the door release buttons?

The thing that doesnt make any sense to me is that in a crash, especially a rollover, how often to the doors just pop open with a pull of the handle? Chances are your getting cut out anyway.
Old 06-03-2008 | 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Easy, if a crash is detected, it releases the seat belts and pops open the doors and throws the driver out of the car, thereby negating the whole issue of trying to get into the car ... lol
Old 06-03-2008 | 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

rules are rules. If a car comes stock with features that disagree with racing rules they usually work around it. if you modify your car to disobey the rules then you cant race. for example, if you relocate your battery to the back from the front you need to have an external power cutoff switch. if your car came factory with a battery in the back then you dont need that cutoff.

same goes for the door handles, on a car like the C6 its acceptable because it came from the factory. they cant tell someone "hey go get door handles put on your vette before you can race", but if you take them off your car, they can tell you to take a hike.
Old 06-03-2008 | 03:13 PM
On The Tree

so they are legal? and I'm not modifying my car to disobey rules. i was curious and wanted to know.
Old 06-03-2008 | 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by turbowhistle86
agree
Originally Posted by fast01z28
rules are rules. If a car comes stock with features that disagree with racing rules they usually work around it. if you modify your car to disobey the rules then you cant race. for example, if you relocate your battery to the back from the front you need to have an external power cutoff switch. if your car came factory with a battery in the back then you dont need that cutoff.

same goes for the door handles, on a car like the C6 its acceptable because it came from the factory. they cant tell someone "hey go get door handles put on your vette before you can race", but if you take them off your car, they can tell you to take a hike.
and agree.
Old 06-03-2008 | 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackangel327
so they are legal? and I'm not modifying my car to disobey rules. i was curious and wanted to know.
i didnt mean it like that. if you shaved your door handles and then wanted to race, but tech turned you down, saying that C6 vettes have it so you can isnt a valid argument. thats pretty much what i was saying.
Old 06-03-2008 | 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also C6 vettes have a realease on the floor next to trim panel and also in the hatch which someone has already stated. I work for a GM bodyshop and have already dealt with enough C6's with dead batteries.
Old 06-03-2008 | 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02BLKWS6MD
Also C6 vettes have a realease on the floor next to trim panel and also in the hatch which someone has already stated. I work for a GM bodyshop and have already dealt with enough C6's with dead batteries.
One of our guys didn't know about the release and the battery died while on a test drive and was just sitting out in the hot sun with the windows rolled up waiting for the boss to come rescue him ... lol

Quick Reply: so are C6 Legal on the track (shaved door handles)