Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl Marks & Spider Webs! What's the Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroDePackas
^^^Also known as buffer trails.
and holograms. A PC type orbital machine won't produce them. I don't know that I'd call rotary induced hologramming a swirl though. I would only recomend using Megs unigrit type paper for wetsanding and 2000 is the most aggressive I'd go. 2500 is a better choice.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
and holograms. A PC type orbital machine won't produce them. I don't know that I'd call rotary induced hologramming a swirl though. I would only recomend using Megs unigrit type paper for wetsanding and 2000 is the most aggressive I'd go. 2500 is a better choice.
A PC can induce hologramming as well. You just usually don't hear about it as most people don't use aggressive enough compounds to induce them. However, SIP/Orange, SIP/Yellow can easily induce them on softer clearcoats. Additionally, Meguiar's #105 (used for more heavy duty jobs) will often induce them and is an accepted side effect of its heavier cutting abilities. This is why it is imperative to step up to lighter polishes for finishing down and clearing up hazing/hologramming after heavier cutting.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice info here
Old 06-18-2008, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm....I must be invisible.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
That would be me. So would the PC and Menzerna SIP be good together? Which pad should I use?

Thanks again.
That combination using an orange(light cutting/heavy polishing) or white pad(light polishing) would be just one part of your detailing equation if the defects were that severe. In terms of aggressiveness, stepping up to cut even more or down to smooth and refine the clear coat would follow as you work to get the desired results. Using the PC is ongoing process of maintenance and refinement. It's an acquired technique that you would learn through experience by seeing the actions of these different pads and products.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by txturbo
Did I get any right?
Sure did.

SW-#1,2,4,5,6,7

Both SW and SM-3,8

SW with partial correction-6

Full correction-9,10
Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Here is how most will typically encounter holograms...

These are from very poor details using a rotary. You can easily see the path the incompetent rotary user took when polishing the hood (side-to-side as he was standing on the side of the fender polishing).

What would be the right way to do that? I have a habit of standing on the fender side and doing half the hood at a time from front to back. I appreciate you help. I am by far not a pro just a weekend warrior on my own stuff trying to get better and learn as much as I can.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't mean to insinuate that standing at the fender and polishing was improper procedure. That's the way I do it as well. It's the technique this person used with a rotary that is causing these holograms, not where he was standing.

However, doing half the hood at a time is not a good method as that large of an area can cause you to rush it. You want to do 2x2 or 3x3' areas on the hood. Generally, my hoods get divided up into 8 to 12 parts, all 2x2 to 3x3 areas depending on the size of the hood.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I didn't mean to insinuate that standing at the fender and polishing was improper procedure. That's the way I do it as well. It's the technique this person used with a rotary that is causing these holograms, not where he was standing.

However, doing half the hood at a time is not a good method as that large of an area can cause you to rush it. You want to do 2x2 or 3x3' areas on the hood. Generally, my hoods get divided up into 8 to 12 parts, all 2x2 to 3x3 areas depending on the size of the hood.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was doing half the hood at a time causing me to rush before the wax/polish would dry. I will try this week to re-do it using your method. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks & Spider Webs! What's the Difference?