Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbon fiber T-tops?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think thats a pretty good idea, I wouldnt mind having some.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
You guys are also forgetting juan thing. Less weight on top of the car = a lower center of gravity which in turn = to slightly better handling.

People say having your t-tops off equals less rigidity, well whatever "rigidity" they add is offset by the lower center of gravity your car has due to the reduction in weight on top of the car.

CF is still somewhat scarce and hard to get your hands on if you are joe public. Fiberglass would be much cheaper and there would not be as significant of a difference in weight between CF and Fiberglass.
Yeah but whats the safety difference in Fiberglass and CF?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Why not Plexi? Its cheap and can be painted. I like the CF idea to but for someone who wants to make a template and test the idea out I say plexi... I might even check out home depot and see about strength and prices but I need an extra T-Top. If this is not to bad I will do both of mine and give the tester back to those who want to make a template.

I am almost ready to paint my Z (Paints already been bought) so if this can happen I would like to do it in the next few weeks.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

CF is for ricers.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cross
Why not Plexi? Its cheap and can be painted. I like the CF idea to but for someone who wants to make a template and test the idea out I say plexi... I might even check out home depot and see about strength and prices but I need an extra T-Top. If this is not to bad I will do both of mine and give the tester back to those who want to make a template.

I am almost ready to paint my Z (Paints already been bought) so if this can happen I would like to do it in the next few weeks.
Hmm. Yeah, it's really cheap. The only problem I see with making this is I'm going to need to be able to replicate the T-Top locking mechanism. I'll need to find a diagram or something. I don't want to break the glass off mine just so I can make them.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Thats why i was looking for a spare or already broke. I only want to replace the glass portion which I am sure with one pulled apart I can do so. Doing the whole thing CF every time is going to cause fitment issues it always does.

I would pref to stay with the stock sides and just replace the glass. I am looking for a broken or scratched T-Top to start playing with I checked at HD and for the Plexi I want I doubt I will have more then 75.00 tied up in making this work.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01SOMSS!
CF is for ricers.
Is this was you ref to F1 Race Cars and the New Vettes as?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive been thinking about this for a while too. But I was looking more into making them fit more flush on the sides. I hate how the rubbing molding sticks out like an inch on the sides of the car and ruins the roof line of the car. There was a picture of a car that had the TTops flush to where it looked like a normal roof, and then the tops would lift off as normal. That would be money.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made a smilar post a while ago. Nobody liked the idea. I would want one just for the short runs or days when i want to go with t-tops off but don't want people to be stupid and throw stuff in my car with the t-tops off. Fibber class is probably the best to use.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be interested. I always have the shades on and hardly take the tops off. I would probably paint them black so it would look factory.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00CaliforniaZ28
Ive been thinking about this for a while too. But I was looking more into making them fit more flush on the sides. I hate how the rubbing molding sticks out like an inch on the sides of the car and ruins the roof line of the car. There was a picture of a car that had the TTops flush to where it looked like a normal roof, and then the tops would lift off as normal. That would be money.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to do with them.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98boxer
I made a smilar post a while ago. Nobody liked the idea. I would want one just for the short runs or days when i want to go with t-tops off but don't want people to be stupid and throw stuff in my car with the t-tops off. Fibber class is probably the best to use.
Sorry man, nothing came up when I went looking for it.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Yeah but whats the safety difference in Fiberglass and CF?
Well we have fiberglass front bumpers, door skins, ect. Carbon fiber is lighter, has a higher tensile strength, but for the t-tops i don't see why there would be such a fuss.

CF is not for ricers, slapping carbon fiber look-a-like stickers all over things is, using it to save weight, ect is not. Race teams all over the world use it, NASCAR uses it!!! OMG NASCAR IS RICE!! lol HANS device that everyone uses in racing is made of CF, is safety...rice?

The best thing to do is to find a broken one, and make a template out of that. Also using the stock locking mechanism and surrounding trim would be pretty smart.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Im not even gonna read what anyone posted but to save yourself about 30lbs just drive around with less gas. or go get some exercise and take the weight off the driver. Carbon fiber T-tops. What has the F-body enthuist come down to. This is putting the F-body group closer and closer to being called a ricer. Maybe did you think of this. Its something dragracers use its called plexiglass. I know guys who have used this on their thirdgen for their hatch and it saved them 150lbs can you believe that. I kid you not.

Thanks DaSkinnyGuy
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DaSkinnyGuy
Im not even gonna read what anyone posted but to save yourself about 30lbs just drive around with less gas. or go get some exercise and take the weight off the driver. Carbon fiber T-tops. What has the F-body enthuist come down to. This is putting the F-body group closer and closer to being called a ricer. Maybe did you think of this. Its something dragracers use its called plexiglass. I know guys who have used this on their thirdgen for their hatch and it saved them 150lbs can you believe that. I kid you not.

Thanks DaSkinnyGuy
Holy ******* **** your an idiot.

Since when did carbon fiber become something associated with rice? Pull your head out of your ***, and step outside of that cave you live in. Plexiglass? Get real, especially not on a street car. How about you actually find out how its made and why its a superior material.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Umm I actually said Plexi and there nothing wrong with it. Its paintable, cheap, light and strong. I would not use it on my Hatch for a street car but for ther T-Tops sure. It will be easy to make things sit flush and hide that center bar as well as painting them. Plus I will probably not have over 80.00 invested once I am done with the project....

Superior as CF is I am not interested in paying for a set until they have been made and production is clear. There are always bugs to work out but with Plexi thats very easy... with CF thats a lot of money to screw up with esp with all the comments of it being in low supply and high demand... So I say you take more time to think about ALL the end pieces of the puzzle.

Plexi and Fiberglass is a good starting place, for me I will start with Plexi and donate all my spare work to help those further this project. Any changes I make I will pass along. Once they start production I will be watching and waiting and most likely get a set myself. Until then Plexi will get the job done easily and cleanly. Problem solved on my end...

So far my biggest concern from looking at the T-Tops is that they have a curve to them. Getting this perfect is going to be a little more fun but nothing bad.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Launching!

I agree with 80% of the above, lol. For all those that have this die-hard opinion that carbon fiber is rice: Sell your f-body and buy a mustang, you're an embarrasment to the rest of us.

Back on point; I'd be phenomonally interested in this idea, I've actually looked into it, but couldn't find a set of busted tops. I'd simply like to compare the weight of a t-top to one without the glass, then go from there.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Some harsh opinions in here. I personally have a hardtop, but if i still had my ttop car, I think having CF ttops would have been pretty sick. I can only remember 1 occasion when i actually looked out my ttops, and they are pretty hefty in the weight department. It's a good idea, if you have the ability to do it, I say go for it.

And Carbon Fiber is rice.....seriously guys?
Old 06-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TooFastT/A
lol..yeah he probably bench-presses the t-tops in front of the "girls" in the passenger seat. **Feel the burn, Feel the burnnnnn**

I think that some should look at this from a more realistic POV - c/f is just not a great idea for this. plexi, or fiberglass would be a much much more viable option, and not be nearly as hard on wallets.

as cross has pointed out, the curve to them may be difficult to match. The weatherstripping around the outer edges of the glass will be needed to complete the seal, so anyone wanting to mock up to protos, it would be easiest to find a broken top that still has the outer lining around the edge of the glass..

I'm making a note to myself to look into mocking up a proto of this and also a *functioning* air splitter, as 6litereater is working on his non-functioning one, which still looks good.. I just personally see it as pointless unless it is actually functional.. (example- GT mustang hood scoops)
Old 06-30-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They made plastic t tops for 1 year and switched back to glass

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber T-tops?!