Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbon fiber T-tops?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbon fiber T-tops?!

I think they'd be cool. Now hold on, don't start bitching at me before I explain myself (yeah the title sounds ricey to me too)

Now when I say this, I mean body colored. They'd be excellent because it'd be very lightweight (glass weights alot, I learned this taking the T's off the first time) and the CF would mean a good bit of weight loss (possibly more then ya'll fixed roofers!).

They would be light enough and not so fragile you wouldn't need the holders so it'd be great for those of us who enjoy come casual bass and need our trunk for said bass.

And lastly, damn, I mean, how nice would it be to just take them things off and sling 'em in the back seat and go? No more one or two (I'm impatient, I'm sure others are too) hassle and being ever so careful with the glass.

I'd just hate to see the price. And I apologize for some of my terminology and mixing of redneck and big words. I'm half asleep and from Southern Maryland.

And if these already exist... why haven't I heard of them yet?!
Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like this idea. Our T-tops are way too heavy. And I always have my sunshades attached to the underside of my T-tops, so they aren't even see-through.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to make though. You'd probably want to reuse the stock T-top latching mechanism. And you'd want to make sure they seal proper.

If someone makes some, I'll probably buy a pair. But unpainted, I love the carbon fiber look.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was thinking of giving it a shot next summer if a bunch of people get interested, but if someone else with better resources than a garage and a drill wants to take a crack at it, be my guest, lol.

And I agree CF look is cool, but that gay little black stripe would look strange.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

there have been pics posted of a purple show ta that had some sort of body color ttops, dont know what the material was made of.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transambandit
there have been pics posted of a purple show ta that had some sort of body color ttops, dont know what the material was made of.
Yeah, I think I may have seen that.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:28 AM
TECH Regular

If somebody did this, I would buy it! And yes, I like the CF Look, hell even for my car...Red/Black CF would look interesting!! Vicinity, if you were to attempt this, and the results were good...I'd buy one, or try and help you out with resources and such...

-Justin
Old 06-29-2008, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you guys think the t-tops are heavy you guys need to hit the gym. I always have the girl in the passenger seat take it off when I pull them out of the car and they never complain. Hell I can take it out one handed.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Oso SS
if you guys think the t-tops are heavy you guys need to hit the gym. I always have the girl in the passenger seat take it off when I pull them out of the car and they never complain. Hell I can take it out one handed.
Wow Hans....way to show us girly men how its done

...for your info, I can take my T-Tops off with one finger without breakin a sweat...then I just jump in like batman and hit the go-fast button!

Some of the comments were about how heavy the tops are...but I never said anything about that....its called generalizing! You should have rephrased your comment to maybe something like "to those whom said the t-tops are heavy..."

Just my .08 (due to current inflation) though!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TooFastT/A
Wow Hans....way to show us girly men how its done

...for your info, I can take my T-Tops off with one finger without breakin a sweat...then I just jump in like batman and hit the go-fast button!

Some of the comments were about how heavy the tops are...but I never said anything about that....its called generalizing! You should have rephrased your comment to maybe something like "to those whom said the t-tops are heavy..."

Just my .08 (due to current inflation) though!
I'm sorry dude, did I quote you or did I just make a general statement to everyone? Learn how to intarweb. If I was quoting you I would have quoted you, like I'm doing now and like you did.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

No..you didn't quote me personally, but saying generally that all of us must be wimps if we have a hard time taking the t-tops off, well some of us whom didn't post a comment like that might take that as a hit. I just think its interesting that you just jump into a random thread and contribute nothing to the conversation about the topic, but to talk some ****...I thought there was a **** talking section on here...somewhere. But oh well whatever....this is all off topic for this thread anyways!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TooFastT/A
No..you didn't quote me personally, but saying generally that all of us must be wimps if we have a hard time taking the t-tops off, well some of us whom didn't post a comment like that might take that as a hit. I just think its interesting that you just jump into a random thread and contribute nothing to the conversation about the topic, but to talk some ****. But oh well whatever....this is all off topic for this thread anyways!
Okay you know what? Forget it. I'm not going to argue with you. I disagree with them being THAT heavy but apparently I'm not allowed to.

Go ahead and continue talking ****, because honestly it doesn't bother me.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oso SS
Okay you know what? Forget it. I'm not going to argue with you. I disagree with them being THAT heavy but apparently I'm not allowed to.

Go ahead and continue talking ****, because honestly it doesn't bother me.
Shaving whatever weight possible in a race can possibly win you it. In no way did I say "I was going to take off the T-Tops but I had to call 10 other people over to help me lift the ****'er off the car."

Not, but it's annoying having to be delicate with something that's fragile (yes, glass can break). It'd be nicer to have something you can toss (litterally toss, not set slowly) into the backseat.

No need to be a dick, homes. It's the internet.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Vicinity
Shaving whatever weight possible in a race can possibly win you it. In no way did I say "I was going to take off the T-Tops but I had to call 10 other people over to help me lift the ****'er off the car."

Not, but it's annoying having to be delicate with something that's fragile (yes, glass can break). It'd be nicer to have something you can toss (litterally toss, not set slowly) into the backseat.

No need to be a dick, homes. It's the internet.

See thats all I was trying to say to dude bro, only you said it in a nicer way!

Thats the reason that I would like to do this mod to the t-tops...another way to lower the weight of the car without going to lexan
Old 06-29-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Regular

So Vicinity...are you going to attempt this?? Maybe Matt would tackle something like this...who knows?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might, but I'd have to look at how the T's lock and see how much CF material run. If it's feasible I'll make a test set.

I might make a fiberglass set for the strong guys that need a workout taking them off like, Oso SS.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

You might check these guys out: http://www.fibreglast.com/category.p...rc=HelpfulProd

to get an idea, I know not that long ago...CF material was in High demand and there was a shortage of it...that might not be the case now though.

lol..yeah he probably bench-presses the t-tops in front of the "girls" in the passenger seat. **Feel the burn, Feel the burnnnnn**
Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, that's pretty cheap. I might be able to do this sometime in August.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

The advantage of making them lighter is not that it's easier to remove but that it helps the car go faster.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mindreaper
The advantage of making them lighter is not that it's easier to remove but that it helps the car go faster.
....or both
Old 06-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
....or both
You guys are also forgetting juan thing. Less weight on top of the car = a lower center of gravity which in turn = to slightly better handling.

People say having your t-tops off equals less rigidity, well whatever "rigidity" they add is offset by the lower center of gravity your car has due to the reduction in weight on top of the car.

CF is still somewhat scarce and hard to get your hands on if you are joe public. Fiberglass would be much cheaper and there would not be as significant of a difference in weight between CF and Fiberglass.

Quick Reply: Carbon fiber T-tops?!