Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

6litereater Designs Projects, Suggestions, and Feedback Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by razorclaw99
i like the idea! I just hope its not too expensive considering we would need to get it pained
Trying to keep the cost down, that is why we're going fiberglass.

Also considering doing GP's and selling already painted in black...
Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KLRWS6
hey 6L is this for hardtops only? Also how does it bolt to the car? Could you put pics up for trans ams or firebirds. Very nice design by the way. Im starting to find my self a bit jealous. Great work man
I'll find a TA to stick it on :cough: Gilbert :cough:

This is actually for t-top cars. Hard top cars can use it if they do the t-top conversion (or our FULL targa conversion)...

I keep forgetting, shoot me a PM, been wanting to get with you on some stuff...
Old 09-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chevroletfreak
I think it looks awesome! I think the small rain gutters will be good. Here is my suggestion: smoot the back to blen into the sail better. I would knock the high ridges down and make the lower portion ramp up into the sail. Either way it is sweet!
Everything you said is already planned to happen
Old 09-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99345hp
That is probably the best appearance mod I have seen yet. I hope when they are available I can afford to get one. Maybe you will get a package deal together to buy the splitter and targa together?
I was considering that... If you get a Splitter, Targa Conversion, CME Valance/Tip and Gauge Overlays your car now has the... wait for it...

6LE (as opposed to 1LE) package

Actually, Steve (Specialized Stainless) has designed me a dash plaque that says "6LITEREATER DESIGNS" maybe I'll do a package GP and have numbered 6LE plaques

Originally Posted by 01sscam
What does this weigh compared to the t tops?
Right now it barely ways as much as t-top shades After hardware is on there will still be a weight savings over the glass but just not as dramatic...
Old 09-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fast377
I like it. You said that the lines were exaggerated some for mold purposes though right? As it sits, I think the lines are a little too noticeable. Especially since the sail panel doesn't have the complimenting lines like the Z06.
Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
i agree there would have to be a sail panel made with complementary lines otherwise i think just a flat top is the best way to go.
For me the lines are too sharp right now, but that will change after being molded (either by the process or by purposefully made changes). We considered making it so that you could carry the lines into the sail panel, that is why they don't fade out right now...

End of the day we decided we will just fade them out. We want it to be an easy bolt on for the average joe and requiring extra body work is kind of against why we are doing this...

Flat top is not going to happen. I can't stand them
Old 09-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by '00_Z
If there is a way to design the front to fit flush I think it would be perfect. My eye goes directly to it and it seems to stick up too much. This is a great idea though, I would love to be able to pop off one light piece rather than mess around with two glass tops. Nice work!
You are totally correct, it sticks up WAY too much. It is just because it is a plug though. We put a lip edge to it to make it easier to mold, this is causing it to stick up.

Production design will fit totally flush, no worries. Thanks for the props
Old 09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T/A KID
IMO it doesn't. LOOKS GREAT the way it is, from his first post he said it will work even with a T-top car (WITHOUT cutting) so I am REALLY happy about that.
The Deminsions should be the same for ALL 4th-gen F-bodys so everyone should be able to get this to work, I just hope they are priced pretty decent.

BTW 6liter, you better get those T/A splitters done
You can make some money
Thanks! Trans-Am splitters will get attention again soon BUT will only happen on a pre-order basis based off of a cardboard template. Splitters aren't selling and it is not fair to my waterjet guy (he has been creating the computer files for free and since he doesn't have a scanner it takes a week of working on it here and there) to not have pre-orders ready and waiting...

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Huge props on bringing new ideas to the market, as an idea you may want to offer the items needed in order to make it a true targe. You said in your post it is compatible with the existing T-top bar but I'm sure there will be people that want the entire targa conversion, just some foresight you may want to think about unless you already have. I agree with others that the lines are a little aggressive and want to see the "final" design that will be produced. If it is smoothed out where it meets the sail panel it will flow better with the lines of the car. Just wondering if you have any ballpark on price? Also curious if there will be weather stripping where the piece meets the windows, I dd my car and have enough trouble with my driver's side t-top weatherstripping as it is. Sorry for the long post, i wish you the best with this and am glad to see somebody with enough passion and ingenuity able to bring some fresh ideas and new designs to the market that until recently has been somewhat stale. - I have some other thoughts but PM if youre interested in hearing em.
Final design will be smoother and it will also use the factory t-top latching mechanisms, trim pieces, weatherstripping etc...

We have planned from the beginning (before I sold one splitter) to offer a Targa Roof in stages:

Stage 1: Targa Roof (remove center bracket, not bar, and this latches right on)

Stage 2: Targa Conversion Kit (comes with headliners and pre-bent/shaped/curved metal that you can have welded, screwed or riveted in after cutting your t-bar out so that the average joe can have 99% done targa conversion in his driveway on a Sunday afternoon)

Stage 3: Rear Seat Delete with Targa Top Storage Mount

Stage 4: T-Bar bracket that RE-INSTALLS after you cut factory bar out. This way you can have a targa top WITHOUT BUYING A TARGA ROOF.

For Stage 4, picture a car with no t-bar, targa'd. Then you clamp a small center bracket on which has the factory H-Beam bracket it on it and now you can slide your t-top brackets back in.

Something for everyone
Old 09-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Grn4fbody
I like it! But i wouldnt wanna chop up my car
Don't have to, just unlatch your t-tops and latch this on

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
Some of you guys need to read instead of just looking at the pics!
Thanks
Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
thats a very big project to undertake....especially for a 1 man operation and this isnt his day job
Not even my night job
Old 09-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
I'm going to be honest. It looks way to out of place, doesn't flow with the lines of the car for some reason, bulges up too high, and why no pics with the windows up too? Are you going to use the stock latches to keep it planted? I know you said it's just a prototype, but it looks like if the windows go up there will be a huge gap, but that could just be beacuse you don't have the latches in there or the weatherstripping. I just think the center lining of that thing goes with the C6 and new Camaro and that is b/c their body lines flow with it, it kind of seems out of place on that car.

Sorry I'm being such a harsh critic, but you always need as many points of view as possible. It's a cool idea and props to your for coming up with it and building a prototype.
No problem Most of your concerns stem from the fact you are just looking at a plug for a mold with no hardware on it...

I mean seriously, you think we'd design a roof where the windows don't go all the way up ?!?!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Banned

Finally, the bottom line is this...

Hardtop roofs look retarded. Just WAYYY too much flat space up there...

T-Top roofs look better but they also haven't been redesigned since the 1970's basically. They just look dated compared to all the smooth and slick designed roofs of the 2000's.

Hell, all these "retro" cars looker newer than ours, someone had to do something
Old 09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i WAS gonna say you are going for a VERY limited group of people since most dont wanna cut the t-bar out. then i noticed you didnt have to.

I can say that with some smoothing out of the line on it i think it would look KILLER!

just a thought but what about making the center more of a smooth furrow than a channel, kinda like the way the tops are on vipers. That might give a tad more head room too. just a stab in the dark...
Old 09-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
i WAS gonna say you are going for a VERY limited group of people since most dont wanna cut the t-bar out. then i noticed you didnt have to.

I can say that with some smoothing out of the line on it i think it would look KILLER!

just a thought but what about making the center more of a smooth furrow than a channel, kinda like the way the tops are on vipers. That might give a tad more head room too. just a stab in the dark...
Post a pic for me...
Old 09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude get a price on this and the rear seat delete and sell me a splitter, delete, targa roof and a "6LE'' emblem.

Any time frame of when to expect production?
Old 09-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Dude get a price on this and the rear seat delete and sell me a splitter, delete, targa roof and a "6LE'' emblem.

Any time frame of when to expect production?
This week or next I will be "interviewing" a few local manufacturers. I hope to be able to offer the roof by the end of November, might be a little ambitious though. Just have to test the crap out of it before I say, "Put this on your car and drive 150mph down the highway..."

Buy a splitter now so I'll have money for this $300 shipped! You save $25 over regular price
Old 09-21-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will ask again what about some splitters for a C5.... ????
Old 09-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1SLO6
I will ask again what about some splitters for a C5.... ????
Sorry, didn't see it. I am pretty sure they make splitters for C5's already...
Old 09-21-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah but they all look like crap.... i was thinking of something simple.... like the f-body ones...
Old 09-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

^^PM sent...
Old 09-21-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Post a pic for me...

see how the roof comes up from the window seal really smooth? and the center isnt a sharp edge as it looks in the current design your working with. I dont however think that this exact body line would look correct on an f-body, but the basic design i think is the direction I personally would steer towards if i were to purchase one.

Quick Reply: 6litereater Designs Projects, Suggestions, and Feedback Thread