Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hood Paint Fading? Need Repaint or Just Detail Job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:43 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Paint Fading? Need Repaint or Just Detail Job?

Long story short, after driving my car all summer and parking it outside all day at work, I noticed my hood was starting to get lighter in color. This was wierd because I wash and wax it every 2-4 weeks depending on how dirty it gets and how the wax job is holding up. The wierd thing is only the hood was doing this, not anywhere else on the car. Since it was an aftermarket hood I figure the previous owner got a **** paint job. My buddy who's dad owns a body shop was convinced that it was poorly painted with not enough clear and needed a repaint. I tried claybaring the hood and it didn't seem to do anything. I'm kind of a detail noob but I love my car and try to take as best care of it as I can.

But this is where it gets wierd. I did a nice wash and wax on my car the other night with meguiars gold class paste wax. It certainly helped the hood a lot and made the rest of the car look great. I then decided to go out on a limb and wax a hockey puck sized piece of the hood again (already waxed the whole car, this was the second pass) and to my amazement the part that I waxed again looked like brand new paint. So should I wax the rest of the hood again or should I go another route? My buddy suggested some compound applied by hand then go over with this glaze stuff (I think thats what its called, he said it was pretty spendy but helped shine it). Any other advice or insight?

Here's some pics, this was the best pic I could get of the hood "oxidation?". The flash brings it out a lot more than you can see in person, but you can get a good idea. FYI the specs are just dust from sitting in my garage for a couple days:

For comparison, the car is my baby and I try to keep it mint:

Thanks!

PS. No 4x4 comments ! The car will hopefully be getting the koni/strano setup installed within the next couple weeks!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you are getting some dead paint in there. I would contact a detailer and have it buffed. Unless you want to do it which could be somewhat easy.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks like oxidation mixed with swirl marks to me... invest in a porter cable. Wash it with dawn, clay bar it, polish it with some decently aggressive cutting polish, polish again with lighter cut, polish with zaino(no cut), then wax a couple times. you can find alot of threads on here for polishing. zaneo is the man when it comes to this.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Launching!

I was thinking about getting a buffer, but being a complete noob and having a black car gets me worried. I hear its really easy to mess up the paint on a black car if you don't know what you're doing. Any other tips/threads I can check out?

Thanks guys! I'm glad I don't need a repaint!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not so sure, my hood is like this too. I have a rotary buffer and I used some medium/heavy cut polish on the hood, and it didn't do anything. Might not be the same case as yours, but apparently mine was caused by the hood not having some type of heat shield. I think my clear-coat might be shot. The rest of my car is red, then the hood is a red/pink only noticeable in sunlight. Not trying to hijack the thread, but this sounds like the same thing the OP has? Am i doin' something wrong?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

using a compound then waxing might help. my old carr's a 94 and red and its a constant battle. after compounding and waxing it looks new for a week, then is oxidizing. maybe you should get it repainted if you think you can get a discount from your buddy's dad. idk
Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

man i was a complete noob as buffing/polishing too but you gotta start somewhere. There are countless threads on the board of how to polish/buff and what compounds/pads to use in certain cases... just remember cut it good this time to get it back where it needs to be then after that dont cut so much, only ever 4-6 months or youll tear through your clear coat! a good wax goes a long way though. imo i would much rather learn to do it myself then have some idiot at a car wash that how no clue what hes doing polish my car.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah i would buff, polish it first, should bring some depth and shine back to it
Old 10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Teching In

What you wanna do is either hire a paint correction guy not just a regular detailer.
If you want to do it your self then you need to invest some money but you can use it in other cars.

If you plan on doing it yourself you need to buy a orbital not a rotary.
Buy a PC (porter cable 7424)
Buy 4" Lc pads orange,white,and blue.
Buy Backing plate
Buy Polish
and this is what you do
1) Wash car (2 bucket method)
2)Clay the car
3)Wash car
4)polish with orange pad and poorboys ssr2.5
5)polish with white pad and poorboys ssr1
6)wax/seal

May want to consider poorboys products they work great with a PC and are price right
If you hire some one to do the whole car with a 2 to 3 stage process is going to cost you around $250-$350 so if you invest money and do it yourself you can save money and learn the skill to do the work on other cars.
visit autogeek.net
Old 10-10-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

I got the same problem as you, i hate washing my car on sunny days because of it. When its cloudy you can't see a damn thing, but when the sun comes out the hood looks like ****. And im suprised because it just came out of nowhere, its not like it came out little by little either.
-Joel

Quick Reply: Hood Paint Fading? Need Repaint or Just Detail Job?