Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Racing with A4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

roll races with a stock stall isnt optimal. though i think manually shifting does help you do tend to hit the revlimiter and its probably not good for your trans.

if youre into roll racing and shifting your trans get a trans go. major difference in how you hit shifts and alot more fun to drive.
Old 11-23-2008, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but another question if i do tune it to shift higher and stiffer while this eventually damage the tranny badly or no?
(Got another thread going) and apparently no, it won't cause any damage (Sorry for possable hijack, though my question was simular, and would ask here as it's related to the OP questions)

Hope this helps you too,

joecar states:

Making the shifts firmer than stock is good, it won't have any negative side effects, won't cause more wear (will cause less), and won't damage anything ("firm" not "harsh/hard".

You increase firmness by editing the following:
- increasing the shift pressure tables,
- decreasing the shift times tables,
- decreasing the shift torque reduction tables.

If you're also tuning the motor, keep in mind these 2 things:
- those tables are indexed by calculated engine torque,
- the base/running pressure is calculated based on calculated engine torque ;

the PCM calculates engine torque (GM.TRQENG) from cylinder airmass which it computes from either of MAF or VE;

if your tuning the VE/MAF tables, keep an eye on the PCM's calculated engine torque and the various air pids (g/cyl and g/s);

if these go low (because the VE/MAF is heading downward by error), then the running/shift pressures will be low and the trans will slip which will cause damage.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS02G
ya i want a stall shoot i want alot of things but im 19 with a crappy job and i live on my own completely on my own so i pinch what ever pennies i can to save up lol

Be patient and you'll get there man. We've all been
there in your shoes Damn divorce may have me walking in em again for a little while but I" get past it
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

get a converter (biggest difference). or make sure your in the powerband like i know 2.73s at 35 mph it feels faster. so try racing from 30mph.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its simple, if you want to roll race get an m6! you'll learn fast autos, expecially stalled autos suck *** from a roll. with two similar modded cars, one being an auto, and the other being an m6, the m6 will always win from a roll. if you want to go fast in a quater then get a built and stalled auto. autos eat a lot of hp, and a stall eats a lot more!
Old 11-27-2008, 01:59 AM
Banned

Auto's suck for roll racing unless you go from 20 or 60 mph (3.42) everywere else it will get a soggy downshift.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Launching!

I have 3.73 gears in my car(A4). My car is strongest from 40 or 45 roll racing.

Quick Reply: Roll Racing with A4?