Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats wrong with vigilant converter ?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats wrong with vigilant converter ?!!!

I had a bad experience with converters i ordered i Precision Industries Vigilant torque converter with 2800 stall from thunder racing
i told hem that its a daily driving car then i specified all the mods i had and the power band of my cam and the weight of my car.
when i installed the converter i lost my tranny 2 times in one week due an over heat issue (( i had a tranny cooler )) which we discovered in the second time when we attached the tick2 and scan it for the problem
then i dropped this converter and went back to the stock one .
so my advice for you to buy directly from the company not from a sponsor.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't follow. Are you saying it's their fault it got too hot? Or were you unhappy with the stall speed?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

its too hot so i had to change every thing in the tranny in the second time
every thing was burned
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was there supposed to be a complaint hidden within a long run on sentence? What exactly was the problem? and why do you just start bad mouthing sponsors when your transmission went out? If it went out twice, my money is that there is a larger issue with which you need to deal.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I am a little confused?
You bought a VIG converter from a sponsor that was not VIG and it was bad and its the sponsors fault?
So if you had bought the same converter directly from Precision and it was bad that would be different?

I don't understand.

Now if your saying the converter was the wrong stall speed or something and that was th cause of the trans failure and overheating I will say thats not possible.

And what does all this have to do with buyng from a sponsor verse the manufacturer?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

i purchased a VIG 2800 stall from Thunder racing and it was the reason to burn my tranny twice in one week so i post this thread to know what was wrong is it a bad converter or it is the sponsor fault to send me some thing wrong
Old 12-11-2008, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wesam
i purchased a VIG 2800 stall from Thunder racing and it was the reason to burn my tranny twice in one week so i post this thread to know what was wrong is it a bad converter or it is the sponsor fault to send me some thing wrong
Plenty of people running WAY bigger converters....i dont think the 2800 caused ur tranny to heat up that bad, unless it wasnt locking and u kept driving anyway.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

your tranny was probably going bad. vigilante is one of the highly recommended converters. im running a vigilante 3200 and had no problems.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Too many variables to say it was the converters fault. Vigs are great converters with thousands of success stories. Your tranny was probably on its way out already and the bigger converter was all that was needed to push it over.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would say its likely there is some other cause.
And when you say it burned your tranny twice in one week. Do you mean te transmission failed twice in one week and if so your builder should have been able to make the determination of the cause the first time,
And no if the converter was the wrong stall speed etc it would not burn up the transmission.
Its impossible to say what happened here but I will say blaming thunder racing would certainly not be the answer. If indeed it was a bad converter that would fall on the company that made it, However again you have not supplied enough information to determine what actually happened.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

what happened is driving home after a fresh rebuild the tranny for 50 miles then tried to WOT the car after the new tranny with the new converter it hits the limiter between 2-3 shift then i lost 3 and 4 gear and had a check engine light but sadly in this time i did not have a scanner to check what is the problem,i took it back and have another rebuild they told me the third and fourth clutch were burned,then i took the car drove it for 20 Miles while cruising around 70 M/h suddenly i lost the fourth gear just 1-2-3 and also a check engine light comes again i called the shop they told me come back with out switching off the car then i drove back around 20 M/h.
when i reached to the shop they scan it using tick2 and the problem was transmission over heat then they told me its a converter problem and you should go back to the stock one.
when they opened the tranny they found every thing burned i saw the color of all metal parts in side tranny turend black. so i had to buy a new trany and go back to the stock converter.
now I'm not blaming thunder racing neither VIG i just want to know what was the problem because i want to order a new converter what do all think ?

Last edited by wesam; 12-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I dont think you had a converter problem , But if the trans is n there now and is working fine i would feel ok with ordering another converter,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does not sound like a converter problem at all. Sounds like the tranny was not built properly the first 2 times. You could probably just do a cut and clean on the vigilante converter you have and then put it back in the car, it would be cheaper than buying a whole new converter.

Chris
Old 12-12-2008, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

i don't think there is some thing in the tranny could be build wrong so it will over heat like that
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i don't think there is some thing in the tranny could be build wrong so it will over heat like that
How about a stopped up cooler circuit??

Chris
Old 12-12-2008, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Like Circle D mentioned a stopped up cooler or other lube issue . I agree as I said it does not sound like a converter issue. If it was just the clutches cooked then a leak or low line INTERNALLY, Many posibilities

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with vigilant converter ?!!!