Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 & up tailshaft bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default 2004 & up tailshaft bushings

since i was replacing all the bushings in my trans, i figured i would do the tailshaft one also(looked like the direct clutch "bonded" piston had a seal blow out)
the bushing looked good, but since i had the new one i pop'ed it out, and found the new one you could install by hand-it was the copper looking one, where the orig was silver looking-i called transtar, and they showed it was changed to a larger one, and its not available!!!
i prob could locktite this one and stake it-would that work?
sure getting a lesson doing my first 4l80e, actually kind of enjoying doing it,
found a good book to go along with the atsg book-also using the transgo split turbine seals, so i dont need that seal sizer tool
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
since i was replacing all the bushings in my trans, i figured i would do the tailshaft one also(looked like the direct clutch "bonded" piston had a seal blow out)
the bushing looked good, but since i had the new one i pop'ed it out, and found the new one you could install by hand-it was the copper looking one, where the orig was silver looking-i called transtar, and they showed it was changed to a larger one, and its not available!!!
i prob could locktite this one and stake it-would that work?
sure getting a lesson doing my first 4l80e, actually kind of enjoying doing it,
found a good book to go along with the atsg book-also using the transgo split turbine seals, so i dont need that seal sizer tool

Bushings are exposed such severe loading conditions throughout the life of the transmission. It is not worth the risk if the fit is questionable.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
My trans had a direct blowout once. I've also seen a bunch of direct drums that had blown out seals. I used to collect these to put in th400's for the sprag.

I put a Sonnax pressure limiting valve in mine to be sure the line pressure doesn't blow anything else up.
I hope you put one in your build. Other companies have them. I think it's standard in the transgo kit.