Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI VS. YANK

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCI VS. YANK

Wonderin the pros and cons of both. I know Yank is better quality but TCI'S price is mighty alluring. Thanks guys
Old 10-02-2003, 09:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: TCI VS. YANK

price vs. quality...and free stalls...its up to you.

lata
Bill
Old 10-02-2003, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK guys prove me wrong but i think i have the median between the both, im looking at the VIG 3200. Sry for all the posts, and thanks for puttin up with my **** guys THANKS.
WeS
Old 10-02-2003, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd take a TCI over a Vig.

TCI is the best bang for the buck in the converter world.

Yank is on the cutting edge.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:43 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Do a poll and see the two camps are running in the 1/4 mile with comparable mods?

I know I prefer Yank to any other brand out there right now.

If running quick and fast and knowing your verter has the best parts in it is important to you, get a Yank. Thats my opinion.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Onebadz,
I think you got that backwards on the quality issue. TCI's quality is superior to Yank's...there's no question. I just refuse to resort to tactics like making webpages that degrade my competitors' converters.
http://www.converter.cc/the_truth.htm
http://www.converter.cc/tci_exposed.htm
I think "the truth" came out in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...amp;PHPSESSID=
There's no way that a company like TCI could last for 35 years without making top quality parts. No amount of advertising or even having reasonable prices could make up for having top quality parts. I've looked at the inside of many different converters, because our repair dept. repairs most every brand out there. I know what's inside our competitor's converters. I also know what's inside ours. I'd put the strength and quality of ours against anybodys out there. We also make updates to our designs on a regular basis. If I see where the performance or quality of our converter can be improved, then I make a change. We recently pulled all of our 4400 converters off the shelf, because I found a way to make them more efficient. We reworked them and put them back on the shelf.

We've got some cutting edge stuff too. You ought to see John and Kristi Payne's new TCI steel stator Ultimate Street Fighter converter. It's as trick as anything out there.
Kevin
Old 10-04-2003, 07:25 AM
10 Second Club

I got mine about 6mths ago and still love it
Old 10-04-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my Yank! Kicked a few TCI's down the track today

Not many TCI's on this list:
https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...;Number=761542
Old 10-05-2003, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Not trying to flame, just curious.

How come TCI's warranty is only 90 days if it's so high quality? Should also offer a free restall, or at least a great deal on restall. Just my opinion.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think that the warranty period is necessarily a dictator of quality. Sometimes it's more governed by the price. Sometimes when you pay alot more for something, you are in part paying for more warranty.

Just a thought.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think that the warranty period is necessarily a dictator of quality. Sometimes it's more governed by the price. Sometimes when you pay alot more for something, you are in part paying for more warranty.

Just a thought.
Yup! Like I said before. I have no doubt the TCI converters are Good Quality. For most street cars the TCI converters will provide great performance gains.

But, if your looking for the best performing converter for a LS1 car, IMO the Yanks are worth the extra $$$.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Yank definitely got a head start on their LS1 converter program, so I'm sure there's a lot more of their LS1 converters out there as compared to TCI's. That would explain why there's more of their converters on the list.

As far as the warranty, that is the company's official policay, however I don't recall refusing anybody a claim within the first year. We typically offer free restalls within the warranty period as well.
Kevin
Old 10-05-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not too considered with the prices of converters. When I see a converter that has a great effeciency rate and a good str. thats when I see a quality converter.

Does TCI advertise their effeciency rates? I have never really looked into them. I REALLY liked the TCS converters with the 98% effeicency and the 2.7 str. BUT thats out of the question!

I don't like my vig b/c of the effeciency rate.

Josh S.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

I know if I were to buy a Yank converter right now that the it would stall near it's rating because it is custom built. What about a TCI? how will I know where it is going to stall? I have heard alot of good things about TCI as of late and I am seriously considering a TCI converter but I generally like to know as much about a product as I can before purchase.This is important to me because I am going to choose a cam based on my converter.

thank you
Old 10-05-2003, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Onebadz,
I think you got that backwards on the quality issue. TCI's quality is superior to Yank's...there's no question. I just refuse to resort to tactics like making webpages that degrade my competitors' converters.
http://www.converter.cc/the_truth.htm
http://www.converter.cc/tci_exposed.htm
I think "the truth" came out in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...amp;PHPSESSID=
There's no way that a company like TCI could last for 35 years without making top quality parts. No amount of advertising or even having reasonable prices could make up for having top quality parts. I've looked at the inside of many different converters, because our repair dept. repairs most every brand out there. I know what's inside our competitor's converters. I also know what's inside ours. I'd put the strength and quality of ours against anybodys out there. We also make updates to our designs on a regular basis. If I see where the performance or quality of our converter can be improved, then I make a change. We recently pulled all of our 4400 converters off the shelf, because I found a way to make them more efficient. We reworked them and put them back on the shelf.

We've got some cutting edge stuff too. You ought to see John and Kristi Payne's new TCI steel stator Ultimate Street Fighter converter. It's as trick as anything out there.
Kevin
That's all fine and dandy, but I've never seen you directly dispute, or say what is not factual about these pictures or their captions. http://www.converter.cc/tci_exposed.htm All you will say is that you will not resort to these tactics. I for one am glad Yank showed me what the inside of TCI converters look like.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

My TCI3500 stalls exactly 3500. They do have a dyno you know.

Honestly, I don't believe TCS's STR or efficiency ratings. How would they even know?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL! I love my Yank, although I've a turbo car. Stalls right as advertised and the thing locks up when required. My MPH didn't drop one iota from my former 6-speed setup, either.

Don't know if TCI is better, but I read results!

SC-
Old 10-06-2003, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

My TCI3500 stalls exactly 3500. They do have a dyno you know.

Honestly, I don't believe TCS's STR or efficiency ratings. How would they even know?
Doesn't the amount of torque produced by the engine have an impact on the stall speed?

I am fairly ignorant to totque converters mind you.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes. Actual stall speed will vary with TQ. Small changes in TQ at the stall speed will make very tiny changes to the stall speed. To make large changes (a few hundred RPM or more) requires major changes in TQ (like is had with a moderate shot of nitrous.)

The more holding power a converter has (effected by several things including the converter size and STR) the less it's stall speed is effected by additional TQ.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yank has been a great innovator in the LS1 market and has a proven performance record and has great speciallity converters. Pretty easy to get what you're looking for with a Yank because of the LS1 testing they've done.

Quick Reply: TCI VS. YANK