Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many different things does STR refer to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what is the verdict? Its been ten years, so Im sure an answer has been discovered by now. Im dealing with the same thing now. Based on 9.5 inch units in the 3500 range as the constant value. One converter company says a high STR will be tighter for the street and have better drivability due to the high torque multiplication. Another converter company said the low STR will be tighter on the street. Converter owners that I have spoken with have mentioned pros and cons with both. The high STR owners say they pull hard down low and hit hard from a stop or low speed, but suck on the highway (Non lock up guys). Some mention that at higher speeds, when giving it gas, the engine rev’s up but the car doesn't speed up unless you floor it. The higher speeds loss in multiplication due to the high STR I guess. The low STR guys say they are a bit loose at low speeds. However, some complain they are too tight down low and cant flash them. They all seem to agree that the high end efficiency is great. They all love roll racing with low STR converters. Keep in mind, spoke with people with similar engines, vehicles, heads, cams, power, power-bands, tires height, gears, transmissions, and so on... Whats the update? There is still no straight answer.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

9000th01ss sure seems to be a douche bag and I doubt he's around anymore. Dude really really wants to know what STR means lol
Old 07-21-2019, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Ahh yes, 2009. I was a wee lad in those days, funny how time flies.