Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spraying nitrous on an automatic car

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default spraying nitrous on an automatic car

On my Z28 I have a new built transmission and a 150 shot of nitrous. My question is do I need to have some kind of a delay for the nitrous because of the downshift for when I am cruising and I hit the throttle with the nitrous kit armed? If I am cruising at say 30 mph and I arm the nitrous and then hit the throttle the nitrous starts spraying instantly and the transmission still has to downshift. Is it bad to start spraying during the downshift like that? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I spray from a roll I flip the switch after if downshifts or I end up taking a trip to Spincity
Old 02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

You do not want to be spraying during your shifts. You need to get a window switch that allows your nitrous to stop during shift points. If you want your tranny to hold up do the switch.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
You do not want to be spraying during your shifts. You need to get a window switch that allows your nitrous to stop during shift points. If you want your tranny to hold up do the switch.
I am planning on spraying through the shifts on the upshifts as I have a built transmission, I know it will still shorten its life but its a track/weekend car that I maybe put 1000 miles on every 3 months or so. My question is specifically on the downshift when you punch it from a roll, will this injure the transmission like right away or do something to the motor or is it the same as just spraying through the upshifts?
Old 02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
I am planning on spraying through the shifts on the upshifts as I have a built transmission, I know it will still shorten its life but its a track/weekend car that I maybe put 1000 miles on every 3 months or so. My question is specifically on the downshift when you punch it from a roll, will this injure the transmission like right away or do something to the motor or is it the same as just spraying through the upshifts?
From what I have gathered from talking w/ the guys over at Nitrous Outlet in the past, it is possible that it will hurt the tranny over time or possibly even right away. I know a guy who races out here and he does exactly what you are wanting to do and he's gone through two tranny rebuilds. You might want to call up the guys at Nitrous Outlet and ask them their opinion. Myself, I wouldn't want to be spraying through any shifts or downshifts..just my .2 cents
Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

dont spray through the shifts, My n2o cuts off at 5700 and Ive sprayed 1.5 bottles through it and my trans is still fucked
Old 02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

I am not worried about spraying through the upshifts as I have said guys. I know it can/will shorten life of trans but thats ok, I have talked to Frank at Performabuilt who built my transmission for me and he has said yes, it will shorten the life of the transmission but that it should take it for quite a while. The car doesn't see the track every weekend or anything maybe once a month during the suimmer months and that is it. I am concerned about spraying it during the downshift when a hit it from a roll once and a while.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be faster if you spray after the downshift because as SA said "spin city" We are talking like spin city as in 60 MPH or more depending on shot and mods.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The transmission is at it's weakest point while it is shifting. Once the clutches are engaged it can handle a lot more. Definately not recommended.

Chris
Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always floored it NA then when it was all kicked down and pulling, flip the WOT switch. i sprayed through the shifts on a stock 105k mile tranny no probs.

Quick Reply: spraying nitrous on an automatic car