Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall recommendation & STR

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall recommendation & STR

Hi all,
I have a 98 a4 c5. It has a Vararam CAI, a C.O.W. tune, and soon to be 3:42's. Im considering a mild stall.
Its got to have good driving manners, almost like its not there until you get on it and something that wont kill my gas mileage. I guess a moderate upgrade.

My tuner likes the Pro Torque ptc 11700 c5 ls. (2400/2700 stall)
I also need to know what the best STR is for a DD and why. Is it true as the STR goes up the converter efficiency goes down and may feel looser? Has anyone used this converter or one similar and what are your opinions?
.................Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Banned

good luck.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ That guy is a bit unhappy with his current converter, if you can't tell .

You are correct for the most part about STR, a higher STR will yield a tighter feel down low but reduce efficiency up top and vice-versa for a lower STR.

Good luck in your decision!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KameleonTransAm
^ That guy is a bit unhappy with his current converter, if you can't tell .
Well that and the fact that no sponsor or member can decide what the **** STR does and how it effects driving. There is one guy that made sense of STR.
Search the for the thread, it's a 50/50 split, one person has a great explaination of STR, the next has a totally great but opposite opinion of what it does.

Oh and they're pretty tight on their secrets, you order your custom built xxxx stall with x.x STR selected just for your vehicle. And the next guy orders his custom converter hand picked for his application, you in the vette, him in the truck, me with the ******* john deere tractor. What do we get, converters custom built for our application, built using the same exact parts, same exact parts. I think it's more like custom assembled to your application.

Yank will tell you all about it, he'll leave a number why bother typing on a forum, their definition of STR contradicts itself.

There is one sponsor that seems to know what he's doing, not a converter specific one though.
Sorry Then again you come on here asking about a non sponsor converter (I guess, I'm ******* stupid maybe PTC is a sponsor)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The higher # STR, the harder the converter's initial HIT is. A lower STR will hit softer, but the torque multiplication will last longer.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I recommend the yank SS3600 or the PT4000
Old 03-15-2009, 01:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Well that and the fact that no sponsor or member can decide what the **** STR does and how it effects driving.........yada yada....bitch bitch bitch
I remember when I first bought mine and I had smurfed up the trans and had to wait a few more weeks and tons more money to get it running right.

So you know what I did? I bought the parts, I installed the parts, tested, worked out the bugs, adapted to the changes and am now loving it.

Im glad I didnt take your approach to getting butt hurt and whining that you made the wrong choice then announcing it in every thread in the auto section.

As a side note I do agree with him that STR is more of a "predicted" number. Converter manufactures dont have the million dollar machine that measures ACTUAL STR. The way I heard it, even GM only has 1 or 2 of em.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CoolAid
I remember when I first bought mine and I had smurfed up the trans and had to wait a few more weeks and tons more money to get it running right.

So you know what I did? I bought the parts, I installed the parts, tested, worked out the bugs, adapted to the changes and am now loving it.

Im glad I didnt take your approach to getting butt hurt and whining that you made the wrong choice then announcing it in every thread in the auto section.
WRONG.
I called the converter company and told them SPECIFICALLY what I DID NOT WANT, I gave them all the specs on the car that they asked for. I GOT EXACTLY WHAT I DID NOT WANT.

How in the **** is that my fault?

And you say YOU INSTALLED YOUR PARTS? FUNNY. I SEE YOUR THREAD WHERE YOU'RE HAVING A SHOP DO IT ALL, THATS WHY YOU'RE SO ******* HAPPY. DROP IT OFF, PICK IT UP. IF IT'S WRONG DROP IT OFF, PICK IT UP.

I CHOOSE TO INSTALL MY OWN TRANS UPGRADES AND CONVERTER, THATS THE HOBBY TO ME. DRIVING SOMETHING SOMEONE BUILT FOR YOU IS NOT MY IDEA OF A HOBBY.

In the mean time I had a Top Gear Motorsports Dominator 4L65E built
I build my own.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss

I build my own.
...and you fail and complain on your own as well.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

dont know anything about the ptc stalls, but i went with an edge 3200 and last time out to the track i cut a 1.6X 60 foot. here's a video of my cam only running a H/C M6 that was sleeping a bit on the tree.
(btw i would also recommend the sponsors here as well)----------------------->>>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwMQdOM35uY
Old 03-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Banned

...and you fail and complain on your own as well.
Did I do that? NO.
I built my trans in 2004 and it's still running strong today.

How 'bout that one you did a shift kit on, oh, blame the shift kit manufacturer.

I get it! FINALLY.

You answered my question, Stop bitching and start blaming. Great advice!!!

BTW who selected the wrong shift kit that killed your trans?
And you never answered my question about whether or not this is your first converter. I bet it is. It gives that 5 year old at christmas feeling right?
Well after you've owned a few that goes away, sorry for the news.

I could go on and brag about NOT installing wrong parts. Like the 4L80E sprag I got from someone. Didn't quite feel right, the vendor argued with me about part# says it's right, blah blah, I must have the wrong drum, blah blah. Well it lead to me calling Borg Warner and they ended up pulling stock and repackaging all these parts because they were labeled wrong. I could have been an ignorant **** and just thought well damn it fits tight and threw it in, had it fail and let someone else build it.

Add doing **** yourself to my frustration, relying on people to get **** built right and failing at it.

And one more thing, go look in the suspension section, a guy just got some parts delivered and is talking the sponsor up big time, ok fair I think. I prefer to use the **** before I start a big thread about how great something is, again I'm not 5 years old anymore. I'm not exactly impressed by the looks of a part that plays a major mechanical role in the performance of my car.

Yea I'll admit my analogies are a bit out there in this post. I'm ******* sick of this ****.

Ya know if I order a big mac and get a chicken sandwich instead, is that my mistake?
Is that simple enough for you to understand? Do I have to go that far down to get my point across?
Old 03-15-2009, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

^Dude I love reading your posts in the auto forum Nothing against circleD (I love mine: hits hard and is pretty loose but that what I would expect from a 3600-3800 stall rating and Chris has great customer service making them one of the top LSx converter companies IMO) but Im thinking you ended up with a 4c that got passed off as a 3c
Old 03-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by streetassasin
^Dude I love reading your posts in the auto forum Nothing against circleD (I love mine: hits hard and is pretty loose but that what I would expect from a 3600-3800 stall rating and Chris has great customer service making them one of the top LSx converter companies IMO) but Im thinking you ended up with a 4c that got passed off as a 3c
Well trying hard not to sponsor bash I have not said what converter I have. Maybe I did buy a 3c but swapped it out for a yank/PI/FTP/B&M/PTC/Dacco/Hughes/Comp Cams hell, maybe I'm special and they all collaborated and got together to build mine.

I was more than happy to leave my comment based on STR
It wasn't till the guy who installed a messed up shift kit and burned his **** up came it and started the bullshit.

I just ran my new converter at the track, I just posted ASKING about it's performance, reading the data, etc.
See thats real world data, not weee, I raced my car and yay it's fast.

Never had a chance to do a review about the buttery welds or some bullshit.
I guess thats blown now. I don't have a borescope to peer inside and see the tig welds so I can comment on how well they look either
Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Your kidding me right?

Non real world data? The feeling will go away?

Im taking a minor bolt on heavy *** 3600 pound, STOCK suspension IRS, floaty rubber bushing Goat and running 12.4s with 1.70 60s with a light start and thats not real world data?

The fact remains on whether I broke the car or not or whether you work on your own ****, I have a functional street car that is pulling some pretty amazing times in that DA for what Im working with and your just a pissy bitch whining about how you told a converter company to build you something that didnt turn out as expected, which I might add could do with a lot of unknown variables of how you set your car up.

So now your plan is to **** on everyone who HAS had a positive experience, and then turn around and use profane wanna be tough guy comments like your some dumbass 16 year old E-killer? Please.......

Grab the necessary parts you need to build and weld your own converter (you know, so its done RIGHT), fix your pile of crap trans and show me some results or STFU.

Please tell me your in or around the AZ area so I can blow the doors off your whining *** and settle this.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Banned

Your kidding me right?

Non real world data? The feeling will go away?

Im taking a minor bolt on heavy *** 3600 pound, STOCK suspension IRS, floaty rubber bushing Goat and running 12.4s with 1.70 60s with a light start and thats not real world data?.
Seat of the pants and time slips don't count. I have all that PLUS actual HP Tuners screen shots. Thats DATA in case you're not familiar with the terminology.

The fact remains on whether I broke the car or not or whether you work on your own ****, I have a functional street car that is pulling some pretty amazing times in that DA for what Im working with and your just a pissy bitch whining about how you told a converter company to build you something that didnt turn out as expected, which I might add could do with a lot of unknown variables of how you set your car up..
I thought thats why you talk to a converter company, you know, so you tell them how it's set up. Yea I did all that. And I have a functional street car, which BTW runs faster than yours.

So now your plan is to **** on everyone who HAS had a positive experience, and then turn around and use profane wanna be tough guy comments like your some dumbass 16 year old E-killer? Please.......
Ok now everyone click on my user name to view profile, what do you see? Oh no, it's a threat from this guy, hmm and I'm the E-killer?
Here save your time.

Grab the necessary parts you need to build and weld your own converter (you know, so its done RIGHT), fix your pile of crap trans and show me some results or STFU.

Please tell me your in or around the AZ area so I can blow the doors off your whining *** and settle this.
Again, I have a running transmission and my car goes faster than your heavy turd. Like I said, this is your first converter, you keep skipping the smartass reply to that one.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

This is real world data you stupid ****.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/11242575-post5.html
Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Man you are something else...lol Time slips dont count? Jeeze whats next.

Why dont you post the link to the WHOLE thread to show how you missed the very important variable of Density Altitude Mr. know it all? QUick, go look up what it means and how it affects things first, then report back with a synde comment!

I ask for a race to settle it and you call it threats and get all worked up and make a spectacle out of it. You are one big drama queen.......

Have the last word then:

Old 03-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Man you are something else...lol Time slips dont count? Jeeze whats next.

Why dont you post the link to the WHOLE thread to show how you missed the very important variable of Density Altitude Mr. know it all? QUick, go look up what it means and how it affects things first, then report back with a synde comment!

I ask for a race to settle it and you call it threats and get all worked up and make a spectacle out of it. You are one big drama queen.......

Have the last word then:
]
Theres a link to the whole thread in the upper right of every single post view page.
You were there, see https://ls1tech.com/forums/11242595-post6.html

So my corrected time is 12.1 at 111 mph. Yea, thats a bone stock '01 Z28 with a lid, exhaust, my **** trans and that round thing in front of it.

Heres the whole thread if you're still having trouble. Which FYI I looked at your profile and it said you were viewing it before you posted this, weird.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...l#post11242595

You can see my time slips. 12.3 at 110 Still faster than what your time slip must say. Right?

So you look like the kid in your avatar when this all hits you.

Post a scan of your time slip why don't you.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

On a baby launch at +2,102ft DA. Notice the slow reaction time from where I had to let it idle out a few feet then gradually lay into it.

Next?

Last edited by CoolAid; 03-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

burnnn