Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effin trans! Again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Performa thanks, i believe you are right, the trans isn't the trouble. Its surging again. When it gets into 4th locked at 1st it feels ok, then as you get to around 55 power just starts to fade. Sometimes the car runs fine and all the power is back, other times its just flat or surging. I didn't get a chance to try the brakes like you suggest. Next time i drive it.

Check engine is not coming on, I know they just messed with the fuel formulation here, i'm starting to think its something with that. It changes back and forth its really hard to nail it down. I know the fuel trims are high.

I'm not sure where to go with this?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 9987ta
Performa thanks, i believe you are right, the trans isn't the trouble. Its surging again. When it gets into 4th locked at 1st it feels ok, then as you get to around 55 power just starts to fade. Sometimes the car runs fine and all the power is back, other times its just flat or surging. I didn't get a chance to try the brakes like you suggest. Next time i drive it.

Check engine is not coming on, I know they just messed with the fuel formulation here, i'm starting to think its something with that. It changes back and forth its really hard to nail it down. I know the fuel trims are high.

I'm not sure where to go with this?
Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Bad move, what if it's not the trans?
Thats what $2xxx for nothing?
You need to FIND THE PROBLEM.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

I know they just messed with the fuel formulation here, i'm starting to think its something with that. It changes back and forth its really hard to nail it down.
Fuel formulation? Why is everyone driving under 55?
The EPA finally figured it out
Maybe the magnet on your fuel line wore out, or your Tornado is clogged.

Not a bad idea actually, check your MAF.
You'll read this and say 'ah **** that guy' seriously it could be something loose in the MAF screen.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

Performa i know exactly whats wrong with it. I drove it this morning. When ever its in overdrive it feels like the brakes are dragging. You can never coast or let off the gas in overdrive, the car just slows down on its own. Same with accellerating in overdrive, it accelerates slowly. THE FORWARD CLUTCHES ARE DRAGGING!!! I know why too, i complained the 1st time it had a lag going into drive....he most have tightened the pack up too much trying to get rid of that lag. It also explains why the fluid was so black and the stick always has the greyish black residue on it.

I'm having him order a remanned and being done with this mess. Thanks for the help
Old 03-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Fuel formulation? Why is everyone driving under 55?
The EPA finally figured it out
Maybe the magnet on your fuel line wore out, or your Tornado is clogged.

Not a bad idea actually, check your MAF.
You'll read this and say 'ah **** that guy' seriously it could be something loose in the MAF screen.
The car works normally in 1st 2nd and 3rd. The engine trouble i was having is gone,we ran the old fuel out. The only trouble i,m having is in overdrive. If you drove it you would understand, explains why the fluid looks so bad also and why the stick is always dirty.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

The car works normally in 1st 2nd and 3rd. The engine trouble i was having is gone,we ran the old fuel out. The only trouble i,m having is in overdrive. If you drove it you would understand, explains why the fluid looks so bad also and why the stick is always dirty.
Well I hope it turns out ok for you.
I wish I could drive it, it's like a challenge to figure it out, but it just doesn't happen over the internet and leads to-->
Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Banned

Yeah unfortuneatly the bad fuel she got turned diagnosis into a nightmare because the engine was acting up at the same time. Thanks for the help, any input helps make you think more about what could be happening. I hope the guy treats her right, but i'm sure he will.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 AM
Banned

Dam me and my wife had a huge fight over this dam trans last night.... I'm sorry i ever had it touched the second time, he offered to put a remanned in but I talked him into taking this back apart. I'm not sure what i'm going to do if he won't replace it? funny it worked so dam nice the 1st time but made noise in 1st, I wonder WTH happened that its so screwed up and tight this time. Sorry but i gotta vent before my mind explodes! SCREW THIS DAM CAR!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Banned

Well we didn't have to wait too long, the trans is jumping out of gear or something like that. She came home from work tonight complaining its doing something funny driving up the mountain. Won't drive it anymore until its fixed. She also complained it was tight and acted like it was dragging again. Of course its all my fault!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

Tell her it's the skinny pedal on the right and to drive with one foot. The big pedal on the left isn't a foot rest for the left foot either.

And you, get an appointment with a psychiatrist. You're either crazy or you will be soon.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

Not funny, she had this car since almost new. She knows her car and how it should drive!
Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Your anger is radiating through my monitor and making me mad too.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

I'm not mad, cars today are just insanely complicated. Its the way it goes. It will get fixed.........
Old 03-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

I checked the fluid this morning, all that new fluid is black again. Clutches gotta be hanging in OD to turn the fluid that black looking.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Banned

I really have no idea why this car is acting so crazy and totally think its possessed! The shop ordered a GM remaned trans for it but i seriously doubt its going to completely solve the problem. At least the fluid will be clean again and hopefully what ever is messing with the running will go away on its own. It still feels like the convertors are blocked but no check engine light and its not overheating. Very Odd!

Maybe this is all dream and i will wake up in the morning. I hate cars!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Well the engine is running perfect again but the car acts like you are towing a trailer and the hotter it gets the worse it gets.. It has poor accelleration and if you let off the gas it slows down like the brakes are on. Brakes were checked 3 times and are fine. I think something inside the trans is way too tight or the convertor is bad....TOO bad i'll never know what REALLY happened. The trans guy has been been nice but he is in DENIAL!

He drove before and it ran great with clean fluid. Now it drives terrible with dark fluid but because it doesn't "SLIP" its ok. I actually left the car there for a week while he drove it and took it to the dealer so the dealer mechanic could drive it and declare "IT DON"T SLIP". He never addressed the fact the fluid was black or that it drives like its too tight.

Last edited by 9987ta; 04-05-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Banned

Would you be interested in selling the transmission?
I'll rebuild it and use it, and tell you what I find wrong.

Well the engine is running perfect again but the car acts like you are towing a trailer and the hotter it gets the worse it gets.. It has poor accelleration and if you let off the gas it slows down like the brakes are on. Brakes were checked 3 times and are fine. I think something inside the trans is way too tight or the convertor is bad....TOO bad i'll never know what REALLY happened. The trans guy has been been nice but he is in DENIAL!

He drove before and it ran great with clean fluid. Now it drives terrible with dark fluid but because it doesn't "SLIP" its ok. I actually left the car there for a week while he drove it and took it to the dealer so the dealer mechanic could drive it and declare "IT DON"T SLIP". He never addressed the fact the fluid was black or that it drives like its too tight.

I'm having the gm remanned trans put in tomorrow and i'm sure now it will fix all this BS!

I've been about as nice as someone could be with this shop but i'm wearing very thin! I'm very disappointed in how this was handled.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Banned

Its fixed....geez when i tell you what was wrong yer gonna say...hmmm wonder how that happened.

The parking brake was stuck on, the handle was in the proper place off but one of the cables was pulled on underneath the car. I guess when you remove the troque tube that attaches to rear it must drop down and pull on the cable. That must have jamed the one side on. Car works fine now........ crazy sheeet!

I'm going to have it all pulled aprt tomorrow to see how badly the parking brake pads are wotn. at least it drives nice now and coasts normally. I'm still trying to understand why it got worse as it got hotter, I also a few times when it was holding back and not accelerating properly the brakes felt faded as you stopped. hmmm the rear rotors must have been getting that hot inside. Sad all this BS over a tight cable.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

**** ME!!!!!!!!!!! everything else does!