Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Effin trans! Again!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9987ta
Nut case? Me? geez....i think you are in for a rude awakening someday my friend if you think you can avoid god. You think that air you are breathing is yours? HA!
Yea, nutcase. Now theres written proof.

Did you get a hearing aid before all this happened?
This was going to be a smartass remark, but my dad just got one and he bugs the crap out of me with his new ultrasonic hearing. I am serious, turn the damn thing down or get used to it, you could be hearing things you've forgotten existed.
I swear I am not being a smartass, you said you had 35 years experience, you seem to be around my dads age. Think about it. Of course I could be wrong, just going beyond the obvious to try and help.

Did you get a warranty with the trans?
If so I'd run it a while, at least it will rule out the trans or the brakes.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

333333333333333333333333333Still a mess...in reverse the car sticks then moves....pump makes a constant wooing noise and sometimes growls and the engine has no power.

What i'm trying to figure out is why the engine runs so poorly. It ran perfect before he worked on it the second time. I'm guessing they ran it hard trying to get the trans to free up or work?????? But I can't see that hurting anything??It has no power and no sound out the exhaust. I notice it seems to be running rich because if you drive it hard then it runs a little better for a few miles then runs terrible again. Fuel mileage is poor and throttle response is very poor.

I'm taking it to the dealer and letting them check over it good, see if they can sort this mess out. If they can't find the trouble its going! We are really disappointed after owning this car for 5 years with very few problems one trip to a shop just totally screwed her car! DAMIT I"M PISSED! sorry had to vent...i'm ok now LOL

Last edited by 9987ta; 04-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
Yea, nutcase. Now theres written proof.

Did you get a hearing aid before all this happened?
This was going to be a smartass remark, but my dad just got one and he bugs the crap out of me with his new ultrasonic hearing. I am serious, turn the damn thing down or get used to it, you could be hearing things you've forgotten existed.
I swear I am not being a smartass, you said you had 35 years experience, you seem to be around my dads age. Think about it. Of course I could be wrong, just going beyond the obvious to try and help.

Did you get a warranty with the trans?
If so I'd run it a while, at least it will rule out the trans or the brakes.
The trans has a warranty from gm, thats no problem. It actually works very well, shifts nice and works flawless. BUT it has pump noise and if you drive it ib traffic and get it hot it gets stuck in reverse when you try to back up. Light throttle the car jumps and goes...its very odd. No noise when it does it.

The bigger issue now is how poorly the engine runs. Its just a joke, it runs like a v6 firebird. No check engine light etc. idles nice but dam its a stone now. I can't imagine what could have happened to cause such a change suddenly. We had bad fuel but that was run out and a new fuel filter installed. Fuel pressure was 61 and the rail was clean inside when we checked it. The engine acts like its low on compression, best way to discribe it. We don't drive it very hard at all, but it has always performed very well. Its noticably dead off idle unless you stand on it hard. I was thinking o2 sensors but even cold its just a stone.

I'm going to let the local dealer look at it for a few hrs, its worth it just too see if its something simple. I know the fuel trims were high when the shop had it at the dealer. I'm not sure how that would effect the running. I'm usually very sharp at knowing what to look for but this time i'm not seeing it. I had all the hoses checked and looked over the intake for any obvious problems.

Unfortuately this turned into a mess because i complaied about the noise in 1st gear when the trans was worked on the 1st time when he changed the rear planet. I think the shop should have showed us the old part or at least told us it needed replacement. I asked to see the old planet but he said it was tossed out already. What a mess....i wish i knew what to do......My wife is extremely upset and is convinced after driving the car with the new trans that the second time the trans was worked on something went very wrong. I'm tring my best to get everything fixed and keep peace but dam its getting sticky!

What is even crazier is i KNOW this guy tried his best to fix her car....i'm just sitting here perplexed! Some things you just gotta walk away from or they will consume you!

Last edited by 9987ta; 04-14-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No power and no sound from exhaust and get worse as you drive it,
I still swear that sounds like restricted exhaust. CATS, MUFFLER something.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Banned

I know but trust me if you hold it flat to the floor the car booggies. I was with the trans guy trying to break the new gm trans when reverse was sticking and he scared the heck out of me. It looks to me that somehow they sent him a brandnew trans. He mentioned that it doesn't look rebuilt but new. I thought he was trying to make me feel better about it, sat i had the oil changed in the engine and the guy changing agreed its brandnew not rebuilt. The trans works normal now and the car coasts like it always did. At least thats fixed.

I'm hoping the bad gas had screwed the o2 sensors, but the fuel trims being at +8% gotta mean something. I also notice this...if i stop and sit in drive idling for a few mins then pull away it seems to run normal for about 1/2 to a mile then it starts losing power. I wonder if the engine temp sensor could be going bad. I hate to just throw parts at it but the dealer scan didn't show anything other than the +8% fuel trims according to the shop. Of course he didn't think anything was wrong with the 1st trans either and it was scewed.

I'm not mad at this shop or even the car, i just gotta get this behind me and solved before my wallet runs dry. I figure if i let another dealer look at it maybe someone new will see something. Diagnostics is a art IMO anyway.

Last edited by 9987ta; 04-14-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree diagnostics are at times and art and getting a second opinion is a good idea.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Banned

The car seems to be running ok again, it has to be some kind of fuel problem. She ran the tank empty then put fuel in from a station we usually don't go to. It runs normal again. I'll be dammed if the local EXXon station she was using has got too much ethanol in the fuel. When the trans guy had the car at the dealer they mentioned the fuel trims were high and it could be from too much ethanol in the gas. She also noticed quite a difference in fuel mileage not using the Exxon, its much better. Dam why do things like this have to be so complicated???? effin pain in the ***!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned

WELL things really went to hell! car will barely run....i got it up to the dealer and he couldn't find anything electrical or fuel wrong with it, they think the lifters are pumping up holding the valves open. Now what the hell could have caused this? Beating the crap out of it? DAMIT I:"M PISSED!.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a similar issue after a torque converter install. The car was driving fine and then out of no where when I got up to speed (around 60) it fell on its face and would sputter and drive like absolute crap and barely run. I'd shut it off and upon start up the first 20 sec or so in open loop it would run fine, then as soon as I'd get into OD or closed loop it would be all crazy again and barely run. I was in a thunderstorm at the time in the next town so I just left it in 3 and started driving home going about 30mph when out of no where the symptoms stopped and I put it back into Drive and the converter went into lock up and its driven fine ever since. No one could figure it out and after it happened I reset the computer so I accidently erased any codes it may have thrown. If nothing else you could try "driving out of it" like I did and see if anything happens?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Banned

Its been acting like this ever since the shop worked on the trans the second time. I think the engine is low on compression because of a lifter problem, but thats just a guess. It sounds funny and has no power unless you drive the **** out of it. Even then it doesn't have its normal power. if you sit idle for a few mins in drive then drive away it runs somewhat normal for about 1/2 mile then its dead again. I'm giessing sitting idle the cylinders are heating up and lifters bleed doown enough to build some compression then it runs ok for a bit. The dealer mechanic was TOTALLY lost and checked everything he could thing of. He suggested driving it till it stops..........................FK THAT! My wife is so upset that this shop took her car from a small 3-4 clutch problem to this!

I want to sell it...i can't deal with it anymore. I suspect the shop beat on it very hard trying to get the second rebuilt to work. I warned him we don't drive it hard. now i have this mess! I'm completely used up on this.....stick a fork in me!

I can see a court date in my future, someone is paying for this mess.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:18 AM
Banned

I used to always get sent out to this one guys house to fix imaginary problems. This guy I swear had mental issues. This post reminds me of that guy.

You know whats weird, when I was honest and told him nothing was wrong with anything he'd flip and keep calling the shop. I'd go back and make up some bullshit, I didn't want to rip the guy off and charge him for parts I didn't use so I'd say I replaced something under warranty and there was no charge. And guess what, no more complaints.
Until a month or two later it would be another imaginary problem.

The most elusive electrical/mechanical problem can be fixed by a mildy competent mechanic.
Unfortunately you might need someone that specializes in mental health because your mechanic can't fix your problem.

I honestly think this thread is a bunch of made up bullshit.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Thanks but i already know i'm crazy, still doesn't change the fact the car is screwed up....but its going to a pro tomorrow that specializes in LS1 cars...we'll see who is crazy.......I'll post up the results.

And thanks for posting up more bs i don't need. I guess the dealer mechanic is crazy too because he gave up. Telling me to hope it stops running so he knows what to look at? He actually asked me if it had v6 in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said of course not...he said WOW
Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

And thanks for posting up more bs i don't need.
You're the one on here posting almost everyday about your car's problems.
How about we all do that.
Except yours is different, one day you post it runs fine, next post it runs bad, next post it runs fine, next post it runs bad. You're not even asking for advice.
There are sites for stuff like this, they're called Myspace, I guess twitter (whatever that is)
You know what would be freaking priceless? You doing this in a video blog, I'd f***ing pay for that.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Banned

well if you're so dam smart tell me whats wrong with it...you sound like the shop owner...as long as its good for you its good! find another posting and bother them....
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned

well if you're so dam smart tell me whats wrong with it...you sound like the shop owner...as long as its good for you its good! find another posting and bother them....
I'd love to look at it for you but you live where in PA? I can't.
Honestly I like a challenge and might do the work for free if you were local.
It's actually frustrating for me to hear your problems and not be able to help, this is one of those that you have to be there, not much can be done over the internet.

I still demand the video blog over posting here
Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Banned

You're actually making me laugh...this is so insane i'm hoping its all a dream. My wife is chewing my head off...i'm trying my best and noone seems to know why its doing this. Its dam strange.

When i got to the dealer yesterday it was barely running, exhaust sounded very odd and when it starts it pings. I start it up with the mechanic in the passenger seat and turns to me and says"IS THIS V6" I seriously looked at him and sais of course not!.

We drove a 1/2 mile and says wow something is very wrong. Then i tell him if you drive the hard it starts running better AND then after running it hard you stop and let it idle it runs very well for about 1/2 mile then does this same thing all over.

So i push on the pedal hard and it slowly starts picking up speed then starts running ok. I stop and let it idle and WALAA pull away and it sounds and runs fine UNTIL you try to drive more than 1/2 mile......HE GAVE UP>....... now this is where i'm at.....you got ideas toss um out there.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Banned

To top it off my wife blames the trans guy for everything because he tried to pass off the second rebuild as being ok....she now no longer trusts him and believes he damaged the engine trying to get the trans working. I have to admit i was with him when he ran the crap out of it.

Plus to add to my misery i have all you guys biting my head off SO i guess this will be my last entry on this subject. If i get it fixed i'll post up what was wrong.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this thread is funny. the car probably needs a new paintjob.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:52 PM
Banned

If i get it fixed i'll post up what was wrong.
No the fact is you've covered everything, plus some insane crap (like the lifters)
There is no where else to go with this unless someone from here looks at it, or like you said, you get it fixed and let us know. And if that happens, it will be very interesting to read it.

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
this thread is funny. the car probably needs a new paintjob.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:51 AM
Banned

Insane crap about the lifters? I guess you never had a engine stick all the valves open because the lifters pumped up and won't relieve. I've seen it may times but usually the symtoms you start getting with that is the car simply shuts off in traffic at a idle for no reason and it gets worse until it will not run. The 80's and early 90's GM engines with roller lifters are good for doing this. Later lifters they redesigned the bleed holes so they can't block as easily, But it can still happen.

My wifes oil is changed regularly so i'm sure thats not it but thats how it is acting. Imagine driving a v6 firebird and the sound it makes, thats what this is doing. Same with the power, its very low and it will barely accellerate in 4th gear even at highway speeds.