Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80 problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80 problem

Just got my tranny back from being rebuilt, but having a problem. Don't know if it is with the converter, or the tranny. The codes are P0700, and P0741. The tranny will not lock the converter at all, the TCM and soleniod pack had to be replaced with a new one from GM, but I also had the converter restalled and gone through. It will lock the converter sometimes while setting at a light in traffic, when the fluid is hot, makes the car lunge forward and then usually die. Any one have any ideas? I was thinking about having a new solenoid pack and TCM shipped since it can be installed from the pan. But I am wondering if it could be the converter or if it is more likely a defective solenoid in the tranny. The tranny seems to shift well all through the gears, just no locking the converter and then the fluid starts to get hot. Just wondering if anyone else has run into anything like this before or if anyone had any different ideas.

This is in a 06 Corvette with A6

Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 06:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would get a scanner on it and see what is being commanded. It sounds like an electrical issue since the converter will come on. Very strange how t does it sitting still??

Chris
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Thats what I am thinking. I am going to have a Tech2 scan it as soon as possible.

Last edited by sheesnaz; 04-06-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by sheesnaz
Just got my tranny back from being rebuilt, but having a problem. Don't know if it is with the converter, or the tranny. The codes are P0700, and P0741. The tranny will not lock the converter at all, the TCM and soleniod pack had to be replaced with a new one from GM, but I also had the converter restalled and gone through. It will lock the converter sometimes while setting at a light in traffic, when the fluid is hot, makes the car lunge forward and then usually die. Any one have any ideas? I was thinking about having a new solenoid pack and TCM shipped since it can be installed from the pan. But I am wondering if it could be the converter or if it is more likely a defective solenoid in the tranny. The tranny seems to shift well all through the gears, just no locking the converter and then the fluid starts to get hot. Just wondering if anyone else has run into anything like this before or if anyone had any different ideas.

This is in a 06 Corvette with A6

Thanks
The code is a tcc stuck off. You stated you already had the TCM replaced. If you can get a tech 2 see it is locking after the 741 codes sets.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by fafnir
what would cause something like this to happen?

thanks for the time

_
If you had a lot of debris in the V.B. the TCC regulator valve could be stuck. The 6l80e does have the ability to lock tcc in 1st gear. For an electrical problem it would have to be a soleniod problem or the circuitry in the TEHCM. This soleniods and TCm are all one unit and you cannot even check the soleniod. If you are going to check anything in the transmission check the valve first. The pan gasket and seal for the V.B are reuseable unless they are damaged. Since you just installed the transmission did you notice if the o'ring was on the turbine shaft?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Wow, don't remember if the o'ring was on the turbine shaft. I probably looked at it, but I really don't remember. if the o'ring wasn't on the shaft would it leak, or just not engage the clutch? I had the tranny completely rebuilt, and a new solenoid pack installed along with the TCM (that little part was not cheap), so I don't think the V.B. could have had anything in it. My builder said that everything was rebuilt. How can I check the valve?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

do you have a tech2, you almost need one if your going to do diag work on the 6l80e trans,, you can even clean the soleniods from the tech2, it puts the trans into a mode where it applies pressure to the solenoids then buzz's them very fast to clean and deposits from them
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Teching In

I am heading to use a Tech2 tomorrow morning. Just wanting to have as much information as possible before I head there, since not many people know much about the 6L80's. I knew that it had a cleaning mode, but since it is a new unit, I just can't see it being a dirty solenoid.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Wow, don't remember if the o'ring was on the turbine shaft. I probably looked at it, but I really don't remember. if the o'ring wasn't on the shaft would it leak, or just not engage the clutch? I had the tranny completely rebuilt, and a new solenoid pack installed along with the TCM (that little part was not cheap), so I don't think the V.B. could have had anything in it. My builder said that everything was rebuilt. How can I check the valve?
Thanks
Send me a email at tptransmission@aol.com and I will send an view of the V.B. If the O'ring is not on the turbine shaft the tcc will not apply. The it goes to max apply pressure trying to compensate.
The valves and o'ring are the only relatively simple checks. There are no real electrical check aside from codes.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the information, after trying to force the TCC solenoid and getting nothing, and then after talking with the transmission builder and converter people, we have come up with a bad solenoid pack. Even though the solenoid pack was new from GM, so they are going to ship me a new one and we will see where we are at. Thanks for all the replies, and I will let you know what happens with the new part.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks for the information, after trying to force the TCC solenoid and getting nothing, and then after talking with the transmission builder and converter people, we have come up with a bad solenoid pack. Even though the solenoid pack was new from GM, so they are going to ship me a new one and we will see where we are at. Thanks for all the replies, and I will let you know what happens with the new part.
Did you program the new tcm?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Yeah, we flashed the old TCM, but I haven't received the new one yet from the Transmission shop.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Well got the new TCM, but was not able to flash it, came up with a major failure in the TCM. Does anyone know if there is a watch size battery that goes in the TCM? Otherwise I may have another bad TCM.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well got the new TCM, but was not able to flash it, came up with a major failure in the TCM. Does anyone know if there is a watch size battery that goes in the TCM? Otherwise I may have another bad TCM.
Where are you getting these tcm's at?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:57 AM

There is not battery in the TCM that you can replace. It is powered by the vehicle battery. How or who is flashing it for you?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

you need to flash it with a tech2 and candi module, set up in pass-through mode or you can also use the gm MDI unit that program's in pass-through mode
Old 04-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Ok, well we tried to program with a Tech2 programmer, but that is what gave us the error. I was able to program the last one in the same manner.

We are getting these TCM's straight from GM Parts at a Dealership.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, well we tried to program with a Tech2 programmer, but that is what gave us the error. I was able to program the last one in the same manner.

We are getting these TCM's straight from GM Parts at a Dealership.
I guarantee that the tcm's aren't the problem. You rarely see any fail, much less two new ones in a row.

You need to make sure you have proper battery voltage when programming. If the batt voltage is low, it'll do some crazy stuff.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Think I will have to send the TCM somewhere to be tested and programmed, since no one around here seems to be able to do it out of the car, or test the solenoid pack. I have a Optima Yellow Top and it is usually on a battery tender. So I don't think I have a battery problem. The first TCM wasn't the problem, it was the TCC solenoid, but since they are all one unit I had to replace both, and the second TCM won't program so I don't know. This has turned into a nightmare, and I would really like to get it running again. I feel like I used very good builders and bought good parts, but damm if the thing won't run.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Got a call from the guy I shipped the TCM to, he had no problems programming it and was able to flash it with everything needed. So either like a dumbass I didn't get the plug to the TCM on right, or I have a problem with the wiring harness. Should have the TCM and ECM back Thursday and a new stock torque converter. Hopefully this will get it running again.

Quick Reply: 6L80 problem