Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny shifting hard 1-2, 2-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny shifting hard 1-2, 2-3

So I just bought a 97 Camaro SS, and the tranny is shifting real hard.

It has a new tranny, with an aggressive shift kit, and the previous owner said he had the shop up the line pressure to make it really firm.

Well it works, but too well. It takes very little gas to chirp the 1-2 shift, same goes for the 2-3 shift.

Now this is my first car with a 4L60e, my previous car was a 93Z28.

What settings do I need to change to get it to shift somewhat softer when at part throttle?

What program do you all recommend for this as well?
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With any shift kit the transmissions line pressures should be set at the factory settings.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I really dont know how it was set......

Its fun when I want to mash the gas, but when I am taking it easy its annoying.

Do I just start with line pressure and lower it abit? I have never messed with a 4L60E.....
Old 09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

This is something that a tuner will have to do. Basically they will have to reset the parameters in the computer for the transmissions line pressures.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On those shift kits dont you adjust the line pressure on the valve body? Or is that not the case on newer electronic transmissions?
Old 09-22-2009, 05:23 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
On those shift kits dont you adjust the line pressure on the valve body? Or is that not the case on newer electronic transmissions?
Normally the transmissions line pressure is adjusted by a pressure regulator spring. However the pressure control solenoid can be adjusted to alter line pressures. I do not recommend doing this instead of a PR spring. Reason being is garage shift are very harsh when applied. Personally the only reason to adjust the PCS is to fine tune it. Vince B
Old 09-23-2009, 06:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Normally the transmissions line pressure is adjusted by a pressure regulator spring. However the pressure control solenoid can be adjusted to alter line pressures. I do not recommend doing this instead of a PR spring. Reason being is garage shift are very harsh when applied. Personally the only reason to adjust the PCS is to fine tune it. Vince B
Thanks Vince, could you elaborate on that? My impression is that you should only adjust the shift pressure electronically to fine tune it? And that for other changes you should go through the pressure regulator spring? Correct me if im wrong... Ive got a similar problem, I have a built 4L60E with a transgo shift kit, and the 1-2 and 2-3 shift are way too harsh. How would I lower the pressure a bit?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

As Vince said the PCS should be used for fine ajustment of max line. As for using tuning the presures in tuning with a shift kit should be set to stock, If you find the shifts are to harsh after that lowering the presure in tuning is still not the way to go because this will also lower the holding force once applied. If the shift are two harsh you would need to go back to the shift kit install and for example remove shims from the accumulator or return to stock. Or reduce clutch feed hole sizes either of which will result in a less agressive shift but leave the actual holding presure of the clutch set where it should be. I stongly advise against using electronic tuning to what it amounts to get around the function of the shift kit it is nproductive to durability.

Call 888-744-6542