Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC, str & stall speed are confusing me

Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC, str & stall speed are confusing me

Hey,

I can't help but hear all the advise that a TC is an A4's best mod......

I've come to the conclusion that 3.73 gears would be the better option for me, as I would like to avoid the expense beefing up or having to repair my trans, and a TC might cause this, and will make my tires spin easier too, and I don't want that either.

I'm not into drag racing, more a twisty road driver, who wants to get from 30-65 quicker.
I know gears or a stall would do this, but would a stall be that much better?
I guess a stall that doesn't hit too hard with a low str would be best for me?

My question is, would a small stall, with low str, be more gentle on the trans and tires, and what size stall would you recommend for me? Maybe I should I stick with my current plan of gears instead of stall for my goals?

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by taws6; 10-06-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, yes a stall should be the first mod to any automatic car. Yes, it makes that much of a difference. You don't have to go huge to get the gains, small ones have their place too. As far as traction....yes they can cause problems there, but gears can too. Properly installed and maintained (regular fluid changes, control heat), an aftermarket stall shouldn't affect the life of your tranny.

As far as what speed and what STR, I'd contact one of our wonderful sponsors and discuss your needs with them. I've always run Yank, and they make a stellar product, but do yourself a favor and check into Circle D as well. Either one will answer your needs and give you the best product money can buy. On that note, don't skimp on a converter either. Pay the money now and get a product that will last. All too often, when a converter goes it takes the tranny with it. Just keep that in mind.

As far as STR and what it does, typically a lower STR will be easier on the "hit", but also be looser for everyday driving. A higher STR will tighten things up nicely, but increase the shock factor when you hammer it. The higher the STR, the more tire you'll need to hook it. When you factor in gears, you can get away with a lower STR and a higher stall speed as the higher numerically gears can help tighten everything up (say that five times fast ).

Basically, you have to decide where you want your gains, and don't forget to factor in future mods. That can change everything. For a straight street car that doesn't see the track, I'd consider a 3200-3400 stall with a STR in the low-to-mid 2's. Like I said, contact a sponsor and pick their brains. They'll set you up quickly with a perfect addition to your car. It truly is worth it to add the stall though. Lose the dead spots and stay in your powerband.....that's a no-brainer! Good luck with your pick and keep us updated.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Many thanks for the advise and your reply 99Hawk262.

I'd like to keep the initial hit soft (for an easier hit), but to pull harder between 30 and 70mph.

So is a 3200-3400 stall with 2.0 STR going to be much better than 3.73 gears in the 30-70 range?

If I add the stall, I wouldn't add n2o, and don't have any other big power plans....

Also, could someone tell me what the stock 1800 stall STR is?

Thanks for the input
Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

As a sponsor on this board and many others 99 hawk has said it correct. There is a lot more to picking out a converter than str and stall. Give me a call and I can help.

Thanks,
Greg
FTI Competition converters
1-866-726-8358
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taws6

So is a 3200-3400 stall with 2.0 STR going to be much better than 3.73 gears in the 30-70 range?
Yes...gears will just put you into second gear quicker. A stall will shift at the same time, but your RPM's won't fall back nearly as much. On my setup with the PT4400, I shift at 6500 but my RPM's only fall back to 5800 between shifts. So once my car hits 5800 RPM's at WOT, it never falls below that until I let off the gas. Makes a huge difference because you alleviate the hated dead spots the A4 is notorious for. If you're always in your powerband, you're always pulling, not waiting for it to get back in the power. You should find someone in your area with a stalled F-body and go for a ride. Nothing like experiencing it for yourself. Trust me, it will put a smile on your face every time you mash that go-pedal!

Don't quote me, but I believe it is in the 1.6 to 1.7 range.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey,

I can't help but hear all the advise that a TC is an A4's best mod......

I've come to the conclusion that 3.73 gears would be the better option for me, as I would like to avoid the expense beefing up or having to repair my trans, and a TC might cause this, and will make my tires spin easier too, and I don't want that either.

I'm not into drag racing, more a twisty road driver, who wants to get from 30-65 quicker.
I know gears or a stall would do this, but would a stall be that much better?
I guess a stall that doesn't hit too hard with a low str would be best for me?

My question is, would a small stall, with low str, be more gentle on the trans and tires, and what size stall would you recommend for me? Maybe I should I stick with my current plan of gears instead of stall for my goals?

Thanks for all the help
Adding a performance converter to an A4 is without a doubt, the best mod you can do. It is better than the bottle and no refills required. The converter will add some additional heat to the transmission, but adding a nice cooler to the loop easily solves that problem. You will tend to put your foot into it more because it is so much more fun to drive, so the trans will see a lot more abuse - but you will have a very big smile. We can make you a converter that hits fairly soft out of the hole, but will help out with the shift drops so you can stay in your power band.

As far as the gears, not a bad second option. It will definitely tighten up the street manors making the car easier to accelerate. The down side is the the highway MPG goes down. With a performance converter, you will have the same highway MPG because once the converter locks, it is the same as stock.

Many thanks for the advise and your reply 99Hawk262.

I'd like to keep the initial hit soft (for an easier hit), but to pull harder between 30 and 70mph.

If I add the stall, I wouldn't add n2o, and don't have any other big power plans....

Thanks for the input
A low STR of ~2.0 or so in a ~3400 range should be perfect for what you are looking for. You will love it

Chris
Old 10-07-2009, 04:01 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the help, info and advise.

I'm seriously reconsidering the stall over gears....
Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 AM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a stall converter before my switch to M6. AMOF, I had Ben's (99hawk262) old one (Yank 3500 w/ 2.5 STR). I could imitate what the stall will do on my manual and show it to you. It's like slipping the clutch and power shifting during shifts.

Search this Thread