Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet again, looks like i did serious damage to a tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well good luck the 1-2 amd 2-3 shift should be calmed some with the corvette servo and the stock band. But excessive shift shock at lower throttle should be avoided as its unnessesary. And As mentioned from what I have gathered not being a tuner 98s in particualr can be a bit strange with some odd quirps. If it was slamming at part throttle I would bet that was the issue and the cause. Many people missunderstand that a hard shift if not really what your trying to get and if you have a high stall and still have part throttle harsh shifts then it to hard. The trick is to have enough appy to avoid slipping the clutches and band at various throttle positions but not so much apply as to abuse the hard parts unnessesarily. If you hit something enough times with a 10 pound sledge hammer no matter what its made of eventually its gonna give way.
Anyway glad to see its on the road again and hope that its all taken car of I would let Frost do a little road tuning for part throttle while with the vette servo and srock band the chance of hard parts breaking with high shift apply are lower the possibility of breaking the lugs off the band and losing 2nd and 4th are higher with that set up. IMO.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting post CarsandWomen. Keep us updated. I've have been reading your post since you've posted. I also have a PB Lv.2 tranny and i went threw the same thing.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

R3DLT1, what was your solution? it seems pretty solid now but im a little untrusting of it.....
Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Actually his problem was unrelated and not even similar . His unit failed under warranty but was destroyed in shipping by UPS so hes waiting on a claim from them as he was the shipper. We do have over 2000 units out there so yes from time to time one breaks. Its part the nature of what we build trans for. I am not sure why he posted here weird but oh well.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that trans was toast jeff
Old 12-18-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

performabuilt trans are tough,personaly i do not own one because im poor as you can be(single parent of 2 kids) but ive been doing tons of research on them and only a few percent have issues..alot of guys are runnin in the 10's and 9's with them with zero issues,and they pound the crap outa them..ONE DAY I WILL BE AN OWNER OF A PERFORMABUILT TRANS!! ONE DAY!! good luck on your trans,but maybe do you think it could be the way drivin since this has happened numerous times with different trans?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by allan808
performabuilt trans are tough,personaly i do not own one because im poor as you can be(single parent of 2 kids) but ive been doing tons of research on them and only a few percent have issues..alot of guys are runnin in the 10's and 9's with them with zero issues,and they pound the crap outa them..ONE DAY I WILL BE AN OWNER OF A PERFORMABUILT TRANS!! ONE DAY!! good luck on your trans,but maybe do you think it could be the way drivin since this has happened numerous times with different trans?
i wasent aware theres more than one way to pound the crap out of a tranny? and im still in the 12's, so no, i dont think so. I think its Murphy's law of me, "It will do just fine till the most inopportune moment and then blow itself to pieces for absoutley no reason"
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
I think its Murphy's law of me, "It will do just fine till the most inopportune moment and then blow itself to pieces for absoutley no reason"
Kind of like it did again on Monday, for the 3rd time, rolling at idle through a gas station 170 miles from home.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

IMHO Time to go with a 350-400 turbo. You def do not have the luck with the trans. Good luck with whichever route you go with.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^im thinking 4l80e but yeah that was my first thought too
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

was a new case used?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
was a new case used?
not since it originally went in as the performabuilt lvl 2.

it went in just over a year ago as the Pbuilt lvl with stage 2 Circle D converter.

1. was good for about 6 months, although i had a strange noise i couldnt find. I thought it was internal tranny but couldnt place it, had converter cut-cleaned-inspected-and restalled. still noise. circle d drove and listned and ruled it as exhaust. (i didnt agree but i wasent going to have trans disassembled on a wim)

2. roughly 6 months into its service the 3/4 sprag folded up. circle d replaced it with new identical part and could not tell me why it failed, said it was a top quality piece. ( no more noise since then )

3. reinstalled in car myself, 72 hours later it fragged a bunch of other parts. pics earlier in thread. circle d pulled and repaired. Sonnax billet shift servo was removed along with aftermarket band. corvette servo put in

4. now this. drove from Houston to San Antonio sunday and parked for roughly 24 hours, no problems what so ever. got in it monday and noticed a problem within minutes, and knew it broke within 20 min.

as i would pull up to a light i wasent feeling the gentle downshift from 2nd to to 1st, the car would stop and within a split second it would slam into 1st like a freight train, brutally hard. it did this maybe 3 or 4 times but ONLY when coming to a complete stop, other than that it was all normal.

it did it as i was pulling into a gas station and i then decided to put it into neutral when stopping and baby it home. we asked for directions and as we were leaving i backed out put in overdrive and pulled between the gas pumps at idle or just above ( 3400 stall, it was barely moving ) heard loud metallic bang/clank and got no forward movement. My buddy behind me in his truck with the windows up could hear it.

Im thinkin some underlying problem like the case or valvebody but im so sick of tranny problems im ready to move on. Im going to let circle d open it up and im gonna see what can be done but im not putting any kind of decent money into it. prob just fix and sell it. if the trans is toast in an expensive kinda way ill let circle d keep it and trade the converter in on one for one for whatever new trans i go with.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 AM
10 Second Club

not since it originally went in as the performabuilt lvl 2.

it went in just over a year ago as the Pbuilt lvl with stage 2 Circle D converter.

1. was good for about 6 months, although i had a strange noise i couldnt find. I thought it was internal tranny but couldnt place it, had converter cut-cleaned-inspected-and restalled. still noise. circle d drove and listned and ruled it as exhaust. (i didnt agree but i wasent going to have trans disassembled on a wim)

2. roughly 6 months into its service the 3/4 sprag folded up. circle d replaced it with new identical part and could not tell me why it failed, said it was a top quality piece. ( no more noise since then )

3. reinstalled in car myself, 72 hours later it fragged a bunch of other parts. pics earlier in thread. circle d pulled and repaired. Sonnax billet shift servo was removed along with aftermarket band. corvette servo put in

4. now this. drove from Houston to San Antonio sunday and parked for roughly 24 hours, no problems what so ever. got in it monday and noticed a problem within minutes, and knew it broke within 20 min.

as i would pull up to a light i wasent feeling the gentle downshift from 2nd to to 1st, the car would stop and within a split second it would slam into 1st like a freight train, brutally hard. it did this maybe 3 or 4 times but ONLY when coming to a complete stop, other than that it was all normal.

it did it as i was pulling into a gas station and i then decided to put it into neutral when stopping and baby it home. we asked for directions and as we were leaving i backed out put in overdrive and pulled between the gas pumps at idle or just above ( 3400 stall, it was barely moving ) heard loud metallic bang/clank and got no forward movement. My buddy behind me in his truck with the windows up could hear it.

Im thinkin some underlying problem like the case or valvebody but im so sick of tranny problems im ready to move on. Im going to let circle d open it up and im gonna see what can be done but im not putting any kind of decent money into it. prob just fix and sell it. if the trans is toast in an expensive kinda way ill let circle d keep it and trade the converter in on one for one for whatever new trans i go with.
That sounds like a hell of an ordeal, I hope your luck changes for the better. I am curious about how many miles you had on this transmission before you started experiencing the failures?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

less than 3k at the first and second failures, now more for sure but less than 10k right now, 100%.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:55 AM
10 Second Club

thanks for the information brother, I hope you have better luck in the future! Keep us updated on which direction you decide to go and what you find out about this last failure.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 AM
11 Second Club

FLT?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
FLT?
LOL that's always another option!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Freakin A man.............Id be riding my huffy to work if that was me.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

theres not enough decent trans builders to have so many on my **** list so i gotta do somehting lol. FLT, although i wish it werent so i just dont have the funds for, especially on a 4l80 level but the stockers hold more than enough with a few simple uprades ill install myself. Prob stick with a circle d converter as mine has been wonderful in every way. get a trans out of junkyard, and start ordering parts. sell this 4l60 once its fixed as is no warranty and be done with it..
Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and transmissions have never agreed with each other, im 23 right now and i think this is like the 6th or 7th time ive had a major trans failure, 3 of those times smoked the whole thing.

Combo is a full bolt-ons minus LT's 98 ls1 camaro, mild weight reduction.
Performabuilt lvl 2 with like 3500 miles on it
Circle D stage 2 2C installed with trans
3.42 gear
Frost Tune
stock rubber trans mount

I was going to work last night around 5:15, turned onto Brittmoore off of Tanner and started to get on it as i turned. Car got strait and i laid into it about halfway through 1st, hit 2nd, pullin pullin....

look down, 6400rpm, gonna hit 3rd, CLANK, motor hit the limiter 3 times. I lifted my foot and the car coasted down through 2nd. it never got into 3rd or even hit it for a second.

motor was warmed up, trans temp was 130-140 measured at the pressure port, been driving 15 minutes and several miles, plenty of stop and go so i know it was warmed up, i looked ahead of time before i hammered it. car was in OD.

Now, with the stick in OD or D theres no movement at all, motor just revs. pull the stick into 2 or 1 and it jumps like it always does, i didnt try reverse as i did a qwick nut check and killed it, not wanting to cycle debris through the system. Shifter moves like normal, car sounds normal, no dents in the pan, no leaks, etc.

Im not pointing any fingers, i have no clue what happened, hell i just got home from work. Looking for input as to what went wrong and what needs to be done. I left the car at work with specific instructions not to start it. Really sucks cuz i just bought a moser 12 bolt and a new Turbo, now i gotta fix the damn thing first.

Input?
There's your problem. I think after the first couple auto transmission failures I would have gone with a manual . Just kidding, best of luck to you.