Old 06-12-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JMO but trannys will last a lot longer if you go easy on them
Old 06-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
I went through this when I built a th350 for a young guy I used to work with. I built it for his 3rd gen piece of **** with a 305 that you could out run with a bicycle.

I told him it'll handle anything his car could throw at it.

2 weeks later he brought it back with burned up forward clutches, no other problems. Clutch seals pressure test ok. I fixed it for free.

3 weeks later it stopped moving. He brought it back. It had a broken low roller, nothing else.
Couldn't figure out either failure. He wanted to know too. I told him either neutral dropping or trying to powerbrake it might cause these failures.

a week later we're on a job and he just busts out with "whats a neutral drop?"
I said thats where you rev the car up in neutral and just put it in drive at wot, thats what the **** you've been doing isn't it?!
He said, well yea, I've done it a few times because I couldn't get the tires to spin power braking.
You just never know.
lmfao! what a moron
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

im not tranny genius or anything but it kinda sounds like there is something besides the hard parts going wrong, did you flush all the transmission fluid out before installing again, it might have some metal fragments in it causing the valve body to do some weird stuff, or maybe something wrong with the valve body itself. it just kinda seems weird that this has happened so many times to you, i had a 03 silverado with bolt-ons a tune and turnin 22's with nuttin done to the tranny but a corvette servo, a 93 k1500 with 33's and my car now all with 60e's in them and have never had a tranny prob and i beat the **** out of my cars, maybe u just got some bad luck with transmissions but somethin seems wrong here for sure.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i had my trans built and im picking it up tomorrow. stuff like this makes me nervous.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

is there any possiblity that the driveshaft is warped? A few yrs ago I built a th400 for a guy in a c-10 with a 434sbc trans worked they didnt tighten the straps on the DS and it slung it. They put the same DS back and the case broke the next day and of course it was my fault lol. After some choice words back and forth they decided theydidnt want e to build them another one, so they installed one from another builder. This trans lasted about 2 hours and was all ove rthe road the only thing left on the motor was the bell cracked of course the inout drum and the converter lol so I said to them well was this builder a POS also? come to find out the DS was bent from the initial sling out so this ordeal kinda put a hinder on a long time freindship because they were quik to bad mouth me when the whole time it was thier mistake anyway. point being that I am sorry there is something else going on besides builder error here. I have also had a bad MAF destroy a unit also 4 times would completely tear the 3-4 clutches off the backing there would be perfect 3-4 pack metrial in the filter lol. P-built built the unit then Circle D went back into it and thse are both reputable builder IMO so is FLT and RPM to name a few others. I think if it was a tranny issue that circle D would have seen it there are telltale signs of a problem in these units when you pullthem apart they are really not rocket science. I have been building thse 60s for at least 10 yrs and have them myself in mid 9 sec vettes. I think before you give up you really need to look at the car cause if other stuff isnt right you are gonna have afragged 80 also. Get the unit fixed put the PCM back to stock check the DS make sure there is no buildup on the mating surface of the bell to the block make sure there is enough converter endplay I think you may find something in these areas.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
JMO but trannys will last a lot longer if you go easy on them
honestly i dont think im that hard on it, with all that converter i dont need to be and it still goes way faster than most people drive lol

I said thats where you rev the car up in neutral and just put it in drive at wot, thats what the **** you've been doing isn't it?!
He said, well yea, I've done it a few times because I couldn't get the tires to spin power braking.
You just never know.
I NEVER neutral drop, thats what a 3400 rpm Circle D stall is for and it works fantastic, and I dont power brake it either. I have Wilwood's on the back and rear tires are bigger too so it wont powerbrake, the brakes are too strong.

Originally Posted by hodge9386
im not tranny genius or anything but it kinda sounds like there is something besides the hard parts going wrong, did you flush all the transmission fluid out before installing again, it might have some metal fragments in it causing the valve body to do some weird stuff, or maybe something wrong with the valve body itself. it just kinda seems weird that this has happened so many times to you, i had a 03 silverado with bolt-ons a tune and turnin 22's with nuttin done to the tranny but a corvette servo, a 93 k1500 with 33's and my car now all with 60e's in them and have never had a tranny prob and i beat the **** out of my cars, maybe u just got some bad luck with transmissions but somethin seems wrong here for sure.
Its Circle D man, they flushed everything every time. I do have bad luck with trannys, and i agree, somethings fishy here. Glen@Circle D told me on the phone minutes after it broke he thinks were missing something too.

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
is there any possiblity that the driveshaft is warped?
Its possible i suppose, although i put a different DS in it about a month ago with the 12 bolt install, ill damn sure check though, thank you.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[

Its possible i suppose, although i put a different DS in it about a month ago with the 12 bolt install, ill damn sure check though, thank you.[/QUOTE]

another thing to check make sure th driveshaft isnt rammed up into the rear of the tranny how much slip do you have on the front yoke is the driveshaft too long maybe just dome other things to throw out there
Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like a lube failure make sure thier is nothing clogging the lube passages in the input shaft going into the output shaft
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

DS is bone stock aluminum ones.

Bro Inc, look back through this thread and youll see some killer carnage pics lol. this thread started at the very first failure, detailed em all as theyve happened
Old 06-13-2010, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I've followed.

First you had the forward sprag go bad. I'm asking if, at that time, anyone checked the rest of the transmission.
Like all the other broken parts 3 days later?

I'm saying to pull the fwd sprag out and replace it is fairly easy without getting into the rest of the transmission. The fwd sprag may have rolled over because the planetaries, that later broke, were failing the first time and took the fwd sprag out. It's a long shot I know but I don't know.
You don't let the girlfriend drive it do you? valet parking, little brother....
nobody drives my car but me, with that stall and 4.11's with 275 BFG's people just dont understand how easily it can drive itself lol.

at the sprag failure i doubt anything was checked but when the rest got chunked i would assume Circle D looked deeper into what and why it was continually failing. Ill ask on Monday, but im thinking a lot more needs to be checked, as in everything lol.