Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with TH400 RMVB w/Transbrake... What shifter and TQ arm is best???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgen92maro
Good choice man you won't be disappointed with it. I freakin love mine. What trans x-member are you running with the TH400?
I am using the midwest chassis crossmember....

Im kinda mad... i didn't realize the shifter didn't come with a cable!!!!! Im gonna see if the stock one will work for now.

I think ill like the shifter, im thinking about getting the B&M pistol grip with the button for transbrake on it for the hadle though.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1
I am using the midwest chassis crossmember....

Im kinda mad... i didn't realize the shifter didn't come with a cable!!!!! Im gonna see if the stock one will work for now.

I think ill like the shifter, im thinking about getting the B&M pistol grip with the button for transbrake on it for the hadle though.
I bought the B&M crossmember with the TQ Arm mount on it...what a POS i had to beat the hell out of the trans tunnel to make the mount clear. How does the midwest piece fit?

That sucks a big one...I understand why they wouldn't send it with a cable that's pretty stupid.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hurst QuarterStick here. Love it. Comes with all hardware and cable.
I am also using a stock 6-speed crossmember. Fits perfect.

Also, does your crossmember lift tranny higher than the 6-speed one? If not, be sure and install the appropriate spacer between the TH400 and tranny mount to get proper yoke-to-drive shaft alignment, otherwise you will regret it.

My swap pics: https://ls1tech.com/forums/album.php?albumid=9778

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 11-16-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Restricted User

propper spacer? I have a poly mount right now.... how do i know where it needs to be?

I will have the Spohn TQ arm tuesday so i will be able to set my pinion angle...

I also need a new driveshaft.. mine is just to short for comfort... it only goes past the seal on the tailshaft like 3/4-1" just seems to short????? How far onto the tailshaft in past the seal should the drivsahft go?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you buy it new? B&M is very good about sending a cable with their shifters. Maybe it "fell out of the box" by an unscrupulous dealer.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgen92maro
It sure is man. You have to lift up the whole stick to get it from P to N.
Got it. Guess they changed the design in the last few years.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I run an Energy Suspension poly mount.

Since you are converting to a TH400, the tranny mount surface is "higher" relative to that of a T56 or a 4L60. Therefore to get the same geometry as you had prior to the swap, you may have to insert a spacer between the tranny mount and the mounting surface of the TH400. One way to know is by looking at your motor mounts. It the rear of the TH400 is too high or low, the motor mounts will be loaded one way or the other... this is because the tranny mount is probably pulling the back of the engine downward. Now, you said you had a B+M mount... so i dont know if B+M compensates for this or not. I do know that on a 98+ F-body, when using the stock T56 crossmember with a TH400, you need a 1"-1.2" spacer between the mount and the tranny. This should leave you with a output yoke to driveshaft angle of +/- 2 degrees. Ideally you want the drive shaft as straight as possible relative to the output yoke, with no preloading of the motor mounts.

As far as the yoke goes, if you are running a slip yoke, for safety at the track you want a minimum of 1.5" of spline engagement. (some people run less, but I dont like to). More if possible. More importantly, you want some room for slip yoke movement when the suspension moves up and down. So, take your measurement with the rear end loaded. With the weight of the car on the rear wheels, you want about an inch of the slip yoke showing. Look at the pics in my TH400 picture album to see how mine sits.

If your TH400 is the kind with the rubber O-ring on the output shaft, you want to make sure your slip yoke slides into the tranny far enough to go past the O-ring.

propper spacer? I have a poly mount right now.... how do i know where it needs to be?

I will have the Spohn TQ arm tuesday so i will be able to set my pinion angle...

I also need a new driveshaft.. mine is just to short for comfort... it only goes past the seal on the tailshaft like 3/4-1" just seems to short????? How far onto the tailshaft in past the seal should the drivsahft go?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
I run an Energy Suspension poly mount.

Since you are converting to a TH400, the tranny mount surface is "higher" relative to that of a T56 or a 4L60. Therefore to get the same geometry as you had prior to the swap, you may have to insert a spacer between the tranny mount and the mounting surface of the TH400. One way to know is by looking at your motor mounts. It the rear of the TH400 is too high or low, the motor mounts will be loaded one way or the other... this is because the tranny mount is probably pulling the back of the engine downward. Now, you said you had a B+M mount... so i dont know if B+M compensates for this or not. I do know that on a 98+ F-body, when using the stock T56 crossmember with a TH400, you need a 1"-1.2" spacer between the mount and the tranny. This should leave you with a output yoke to driveshaft angle of +/- 2 degrees. Ideally you want the drive shaft as straight as possible relative to the output yoke, with no preloading of the motor mounts.

As far as the yoke goes, if you are running a slip yoke, for safety at the track you want a minimum of 1.5" of spline engagement. (some people run less, but I dont like to). More if possible. More importantly, you want some room for slip yoke movement when the suspension moves up and down. So, take your measurement with the rear end loaded. With the weight of the car on the rear wheels, you want about an inch of the slip yoke showing. Look at the pics in my TH400 picture album to see how mine sits.

If your TH400 is the kind with the rubber O-ring on the output shaft, you want to make sure your slip yoke slides into the tranny far enough to go past the O-ring.
Good info thanks!
Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

No prob man. I just finished my swap a few months ago. I did months of research and trial and error. Any questions or pics you want, feel free to PM me. I absolutely love the TH400. I thought my stall might be too high, but turns out I love it. Drives good on the street, destroys the tires on the street when you mash it, and yanks the front end off the ground at the track no prob.
Good info thanks!

Quick Reply: Guys with TH400 RMVB w/Transbrake... What shifter and TQ arm is best???