Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vigilante converters, low mph, low effeciency?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
At what point was a converter invented that did everything perfect? Care to point me that direction??
Right this way.... www.converter.cc
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Right this way.... www.converter.cc
wow, those look a lot like my converter

Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

If you got a Yank and you're in here nit picking converters, then you must be doing something wrong.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you got a Yank and you're in here nit picking converters, then you must be doing something wrong.
You should take the time and go back and reread the thread and what exactly was posted.
Maybe your comprehension level isnt high enough to understand whats happening in this thread I will make it simple for you to understand. The guy says why dont Vigs mph good. Lots of random answers, then dipshit comes in and suggest if he got a better/good converter then he would mph better. So I ask dipshit if he is suggesting Vigs converters are no good. And what you quoted was me asking him what miracle perfect converter was he refering to when he suggested the OP get a better/good converter.

anything else sweetie?

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 12-16-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The miracle converter is a converter you can lock up at wot, that way you get back any lost engine rpm to drivetrain rpm. There are alot of great converters out there but locking up the converter is going to be the most efficient. In my opinion so don't start flaming me if you don't agree.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^I can agree with that. And Im pretty damn sure every converter sponsor on this site makes lock up torque converters.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You should take the time and go back and reread the thread and what exactly was posted.
Maybe your comprehension level isnt high enough to understand whats happening in this thread I will make it simple for you to understand. The guy says why dont Vigs mph good. Lots of random answers, then dipshit comes in and suggest if he got a better/good converter then he would mph better. So I ask dipshit if he is suggesting Vigs converters are no good. And what you quoted was me asking him what miracle perfect converter was he refering to when he suggested the OP get a better/good converter.

anything else sweetie?
lolz!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying vigs arent good converters?? Bc I have heard completely the opposite.....A converter that hits hard off the line looses efficiency up top, softer hit off the line gains more efficiency in higher rpms. Generally speaking of course. At what point was a converter invented that did everything perfect? Care to point me that direction??
From my experience with them to get them loose like they need to be they slip bad out the back door.

Neal Chance is doing things with converters that some said would never be possible. Stall 15-1700 rpm from finishline rpm with 1-2% slipage.

So with the right conveter you can have your cake and eat it too. Just have to know who to talk with.

Like a said my converter goes 6000 and slips 6% thur the traps. It is a 4 year old coan. My new converter we should be able to cut that in 1/2.

Not being a dick just saying there are better options out there.

Tim
Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

^^^I can agree with that. And Im pretty damn sure every converter sponsor on this site makes lock up torque converters.
Lock up and be able to hold full power, I don't know if they all do but it's getting more common.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

anything else sweetie?
I got ya. Vigs don't MPH well as most converters don't. Does that mean that they are junk. Well, yes when compared to a Yank. I gained MPH and lost considerable ET using a Yank and that is the norm. So if you're saying that there isn't a perfect converter, again, you're not doing something right.

Originally Posted by mike13
The miracle converter is a converter you can lock up at wot, that way you get back any lost engine rpm to drivetrain rpm. There are alot of great converters out there but locking up the converter is going to be the most efficient. In my opinion so don't start flaming me if you don't agree.
Wrong. Locking up a converter will slow you down 9 time out of 10. If you have enough rpm left after the stall does it's thing that locking it up will actually help, then you need more stall. 1:1 efficiency isn't always the best.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran 7.2s@96mph with my old white trans am.. If I would have put some suspension under the car it would have went 6s easy. That is still spot on at what a vig should mph.. It pulled very hard up top, pulled harder at 100-110 mph than it did at 70-80 mph.
It was a 4000 but flashed more around 4400 or so.
I ran another car with the same exact setup that white TA had but he had a YANK 3600 instead.. I pulled about 2-3 lengths on him from 35-120ish in my current car.. My old white TA would have ran off and left my current car pretty badly. ME and him talked about it and I have no doubt in my mind it was because of his converter.
On average I don't see too many Yank cars impressing me, not as much as VIG and PTC.. What I mean by this is when I see a 60' and I think "damn, wonder what suspension setup and converter is"... Then when I look to see what it is it is usually a PTC or a VIG.
I am by NO MEANS saying Yank does not make good converter but I do think they are more "hit or miss" than the other brands.

Jon, I know your converter performs very good..
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, as with most things there is more to it that just one part. And anyone who has less than a 4000 stall on a LS1 isn't out for all out performance, they were looking for a compromise. It's hard to say what stall is better for a certain car without trying every one of them on that particular car.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

I got ya. Vigs don't MPH well as most converters don't. Does that mean that they are junk. Well, yes when compared to a Yank. I gained MPH and lost considerable ET using a Yank and that is the norm. So if you're saying that there isn't a perfect converter, again, you're not doing something right.

Wrong. Locking up a converter will slow you down 9 time out of 10. If you have enough rpm left after the stall does it's thing that locking it up will actually help, then you need more stall. 1:1 efficiency isn't always the best.
Really so you've run 10 cars and 9 of them slowed down? Sounds like your pulling those numbers out of your ***. If your lossing 500-700rpm on the top end wouldn't you want to apply that to the track? If the car is slowing down you don't have enough horsepower for the gear. Isn't every convertor manufacturer trying to achieve the most effieciency on the top end.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
10 Second Club

Well, as with most things there is more to it that just one part. And anyone who has less than a 4000 stall on a LS1 isn't out for all out performance, they were looking for a compromise. It's hard to say what stall is better for a certain car without trying every one of them on that particular car.
every convertor is a compromise.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Damn I didnt want to start a pissing match LMAO.

I just wanted to get some more opinions on what I was told by a good source.

My old converter was too small anyway, I am gonna change the combination anyway. I just didnt want to go backwards over what I had.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Really so you've run 10 cars and 9 of them slowed down? Sounds like your pulling those numbers out of your ***. If your lossing 500-700rpm on the top end wouldn't you want to apply that to the track? If the car is slowing down you don't have enough horsepower for the gear. Isn't every convertor manufacturer trying to achieve the most effieciency on the top end.
I have actually tried a few and I've seen results posted on here, in my own experience locking up the converter killed the ET and the MPH.

Gearing is a reasonable answer to that, but I don't have any info for that to agree or dispute it.

On the cars I seen (that were under geared) losing 500-7000 rpms is worth 25+rwhp in some cases. Even given the amount of slip it still puts out more hp slipping than it does locked.

I will try to find a properly geared car to test the lock up on.

I think you're confusing what the efficiency of a stall actually means.
every convertor is a compromise.
I guess everyone should drive a stick.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

My point in this whole thread is simply this: Vigs, or any site sponser makes a good enough converter for the average guy. Period. If you are chasing thousanths of a second well maybe there is something better out there. Most cars on this site are DD or weekend warriors and thats it. It doesnt really matter to me if my converter is as close to perfect as you can get. It matters if it does what I want and am I happy with it. I ran an Edge 3200 for a year and a half and it did its job well. I am now running a Yank 4K and its doing the job better then the Edge. So I been happy both times. I can also beat equally modded 6 speeds at the track with ease, and I shall soon race a couple from a roll to see where I stand mod for mod against an M6 once launch is not a factor. And I will be happy to report back how the Yank does in fending them off.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Of course there is! One thing some of you guys have to keep in mind is the stall speed isn't the only factor, the STR plays a roll in the efficiency as well.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Vig 3800 knocked 6 th's off in the 1/4. Also sold it yesterday for $550, going to a turbo 400. New stall is still up in the air.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

No flaming here, but it's probably much higher than 9 out of 10 cars not seeing a et reduction by locking up the converter. My car doesn't respond to it and very few cars do. Even on the bottle there were no positive results.

Quick Reply: Vigilante converters, low mph, low effeciency?