Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission won't go into first

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the cluster cause the speedo and tach were intermitant. then I read on a schematic the power was the same source wire as the trans so I tried it. And just happen to have the meter in the truck connected to the trans when i pulled the cluster. The only way I have to moniter the ecm data is the testers they have at autozone. don't know if they will do much. i had them reset the codes already but that was before I removed the cluster and before I was actually getting 12v to the e pin. I just dropped the pan and ran a jumper wire from the power side of the solenoid to some different spots on the tranny and the solenoids did click. Although after I dd that to the A solenoid I heard lots of clicking afterwards like about 10-15 clicks. But light ones. Thats what makes me think it's the ecm maybe it's not commanding the solenoids to ground.
I thought maybe the gear position indicator on the side of the trans but don't thnk it would throw all those codes. I got a friend that has the same year and a 4.3. I'm gonna see if he'd let me put his ecm and see what happens. Or i'll just get one, I can probably get one for $50.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok see if you know this answer. If I run some wires from the ecm pins for the 1-2 and 3-4 outputs from the ecm. What would I see, how would I know if they are commanding. In park both a, and b sol are energized right. But would it be the ecm puts out 12 volts then goes to zero volts when it commands to shift or how does that work. Cause I can run a wire to the cab and have my meter in there and watch the ouput when it's put into gear and shifts.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When the solenoids are comanded on the light green wire and the yellow wire with the black stripe are grounded the 12v source is constant. I think you have a power/ground issue myself loose connections corroded etc is where I would be looking.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-03-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I fixed the constant 12v source, i'm getting it now. I haven't had the ecm reset after i fixed it though. Does the ecm keep it in "limp' mode until you get it cleared?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well replaced the ecm and no change it still won't shift into first or fourth. The solenoids seem good, the ecm is good, the wiring from trans to ecm seem good, the wiring from trans to fuse block seem good. Ok so now what the heck can I check that would cause this problem?

Quick Reply: transmission won't go into first