Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible squealing sound coming from tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Horrible squealing sound coming from tranny

I have a '98 4l60 trans and an ls1. I have a loud squealing sound coming from the trans ONLY when is up to temp or warmed up. You can hear it at idle and it seems to happen also when driving. I put a new pump in, that didnt help, I had the converter checked, that didnt help. That trans also has a transgo shift kit. Any takers? Im sure it could be a number of problems. Any help would be great.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Teching In

mine is doing the same thing. 2001 SS A4. it started after I installed my diablosport tune. I assumed that it was because of the line pressure increase, so i turned the pressure down -5 psi on each shift and it still makes the noise ocassionally.

mine is also making a loud rattling noise from the bellhousing when I'm crusing 15-20mph in 1st or 2nd gear. Every time I pull off from a drive-thru food place I can really hear the rattling sound bouncing off the building wall.

any ideas guys????
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2001slppewterss
mine is doing the same thing. 2001 SS A4. it started after I installed my diablosport tune. I assumed that it was because of the line pressure increase, so i turned the pressure down -5 psi on each shift and it still makes the noise ocassionally.

mine is also making a loud rattling noise from the bellhousing when I'm crusing 15-20mph in 1st or 2nd gear. Every time I pull off from a drive-thru food place I can really hear the rattling sound bouncing off the building wall.

any ideas guys????
Ya its driving me nuts! Does yours happen only when its warm? Im thinking I put one too many shims behind the corvette servo i installed and the band is dragging and there is some metal dust in the pan... Also I put a boost valve in the pump. Would that do it???
Old 01-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Mine actually is doing 2 differant things....it's making a sqeaking fluid noise that will start and stop at random times....when cold or hot......it's also making a rattling noise when pulling off from a dead stop or crusing 15-20 mph in 1st or 2nd gear....I think the rattling might be a cracked flexplate, but not sure about the sqeaking noise....

Quick Reply: Horrible squealing sound coming from tranny