Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which 4L80e shift kit for engine braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which 4L80e shift kit for engine braking

I am wanting to install a shift kit that will allow me to have engine braking in all forward gears ( overrun clutches applied ) when the shifter is in the 3rd postion. I would like there to be no engine braking when the shifter is in the Drive position.

Is this possible?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Teching In

That's the way the 4L80E works stock. The overrun clutches are not applied in the OD position. If you're talking about engine braking in 1st & 2nd with the shifter in 3rd gear position, nothing has been designed for that application yet. TCI however does make a valve body for the 4L60E with those features.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darkhorsebob
That's the way the 4L80E works stock. The overrun clutches are not applied in the OD position. If you're talking about engine braking in 1st & 2nd with the shifter in 3rd gear position, nothing has been designed for that application yet. TCI however does make a valve body for the 4L60E with those features.
I was hoping to have them engaged in 1st through 3rd when using the tap shift feature on the PCS TCM

Is it possible to add another solenoid to the VB for the Overrun clutches that way i can individually control the over run clutches with the TCM?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Teching In

The overrun clutches are not the issue. In order to have engine braking in 2nd gear, the brake band must apply and in first gear, the low/reverse band must apply.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 just like darkhorse said. For engine braking in 1st and 2nd, the bands will need to be applied (as well as the overruns), and they are only on when in that gear (low/reverse when the shifter is in 1st, and intermediate band when teh shifter is in 2nd). For engine braking in 3rd, only the overruns need to be on.

If you want to design your own, learn how to build transmissions, study hydraulics, and make your own Valve body.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Listen here,I know you need the intermediate band on for engine braking in d2 AND THE REAR BAND FOR LOW. but it JUST ISNT RIGHT WITHOUT THE FRONT OVVERRUN CLUTCHES ON.THERE WILL NOT BE ENGINE BRAKING IF THE OVERRUNS ARE NOT ON IN 1 2 AND 3 .ONCE AGAIN THERE WILL NOT BE ENGINE BRAKING IF YOU DONT HAVE THE OVERRUM CLUTCH ON.MY REVERSE PATTERN FULL MANUAL TRANSBRAKE FOR THE 4L80E USES BAND AND OVERRUNS IN LOW ,INT BAND AND OVERRUNS IN 2 AND OVERRUNS IN THIRD.IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT DOESNT WORK LIKE THIS IT IS JUNK.PERIOD .END OF STORY.AS SOON AS YOU LIFT THE GAS THE INPUT SHAFT STOPS TURNING AND THE OVERDRIVE PLANET OVERRUNS IF THE OVERRUN CLUTCH ISNT ON .WACK THE THROTTLE HARD AND RELOCK THE OVERRUN CLUTCH AND YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY AND BREAK THE ROLLER CLUTCH AND THE TRANS STOPS MOVING.LEAVING YOU STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD OF COURSE
Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

And the GREEK is not looking for sales here either,just the facts malakes.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chris718
Listen here,I know you need the intermediate band on for engine braking in d2 AND THE REAR BAND FOR LOW. but it JUST ISNT RIGHT WITHOUT THE FRONT OVVERRUN CLUTCHES ON.THERE WILL NOT BE ENGINE BRAKING IF THE OVERRUNS ARE NOT ON IN 1 2 AND 3 .ONCE AGAIN THERE WILL NOT BE ENGINE BRAKING IF YOU DONT HAVE THE OVERRUM CLUTCH ON.MY REVERSE PATTERN FULL MANUAL TRANSBRAKE FOR THE 4L80E USES BAND AND OVERRUNS IN LOW ,INT BAND AND OVERRUNS IN 2 AND OVERRUNS IN THIRD.IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING THAT DOESNT WORK LIKE THIS IT IS JUNK.PERIOD .END OF STORY.AS SOON AS YOU LIFT THE GAS THE INPUT SHAFT STOPS TURNING AND THE OVERDRIVE PLANET OVERRUNS IF THE OVERRUN CLUTCH ISNT ON .WACK THE THROTTLE HARD AND RELOCK THE OVERRUN CLUTCH AND YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY AND BREAK THE ROLLER CLUTCH AND THE TRANS STOPS MOVING.LEAVING YOU STUCK ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD OF COURSE
Chris, I've always tried to take the high road on the forums which I post, but I've had it with you're smart *** attitude that only you can make transmissions work properly.
The overrun clutches are not the issue in engine braking with the shifter in the 3rd gear position because they are already applied. He was talking about an automatic shifting valve body with the shifter in the 3rd gear position having braking in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. You should the read post correctly before opening your mouth!
I'm surprised that with an attitude and mouth like yours, you are still in business!

Last edited by darkhorsebob; 01-17-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: correct incomplete sentence
Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Banned

Bob,im surprised with an iq like yours you are employed,but then again look who you work for.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

GTO ERIC,I misunderstood your post.BOB,I didnt misunderstand yours.Your trying to defend that piece of "mantzaflari" you designed.Thats clear.Now about my smartass attitude I am not the only person who can fix transmissions,I know that.But I dont work for a company that pirates other peoples products to stay afloat.You do.My understanding is your ..........Im not going to continue.If you want to be a man call me and voice your opinions 718 807 8110.Im here now.I would have more respect for you than playing internet tuffguy .

Quick Reply: which 4L80e shift kit for engine braking