Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with torque converter/flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with torque converter/flywheel

Finishing up my tbucket.... Went to install the torque converter bolts and noticed the flywheel has a larger hole than the torque converter.

Do i have the wrong converter???

Running a th-350 behind the lt1.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

Drill the tq converter to match the flywheel. If not u can pull the head of the bolts thru.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

I was thinking about doing something like that but didn't know if it was advisable.

My problem is that in order for me to pull the tranny back enough to get to the converter, i have to take the body off my bucket. Its just a pain in the *** since I've just about everything done and was really being lazy and was hoping for another rememedy.

I may go ahead and just pull the body, even though I really don't want to, and replace the converter with one with a stall.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its a flexplate not a flywheel.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Its a flexplate not a flywheel.
always have the internet know it alls but nothing constructive to add idiots,

just drill the plate, you can do it with everything attatched, did it on my car with the tci bolts and converter.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hennytime

just drill the plate, you can do it with everything attatched, did it on my car with the tci bolts and converter.
Thanks for the help! I will give it a try sometime this week.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hennytime

And you are the type of person thats lets someone clearly make a mistake and not help him correct the situation. Cry baby
Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

I know the difference between a flywheel and flexplate. It was more or less due to me only having 3hrs sleep in two days and not really caring if my dictionary skills or proper grammar was in affect. I am pretty sure everyone knew what I was talking about.

I guess I could've made a mistake and accidently drilled through the flywheel instead of the flexplate according to your rebuttle to henrytime but we all know that is just silly since you can only have one or the other.

Its kinda like I hear everyone talking about their "motor", knowing that motors are electrical and they are in fact talking about their engine. Same difference right??? But you don't hear me taking the time to tell them that indeed they are referring to their engine and not a motor rather than answer their question and being a dick, kinda what you were doing.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big D Mcgee
and being a dick, kinda what you were doing.
Nobody talked any **** to you, I just simply made a correction. Hell for all I know you were trying to mate the converter holes to a flywheel's holes. We aren't there, we cant see what you are trying to do.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

how much bigger are the holes-its kind of normal for the flywheel, flexplate, out rigger or round thingy (lol) on the back of the engine to have a little larger hole, not huge though, so the converter pulls flat and doesnt
"bind up" if a hole is off a little-the crank registers the converter to the engine
some converter co's tell you to drill out the bolt holes a minor amount
i always "preload" the converter, looking at the back turn it clockwise to rest
against the holes (theres usually a little slop) then snug them up, then tighten them
my reasoning is the engine is trying to turn and the converter is not, so its gonna try and take up any slop anyway, so i do it for it
converters use diff size bolts, so the flexplate doesnt know whats gonna be used on it
i wouldnt be affraid to use a hardened washer if needed, its not going anywhere, and lock tite-i have run some high HP crap over the years, drilled flexplates out under the car that had to small of a hole, never had a -again, how much bigger is the hole, better than to small, lol

Quick Reply: Problem with torque converter/flywheel