Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLT or Performabuilt...??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FLT or Performabuilt...??

Car is cam only and isn't going to be seeing huge power. It isn't a track *****, just a fun driver that can goto the track a few times a year and hit the streets at night

I was looking at FLT Levels 3 or 4, or Performabuilt Level 2. Both are around the same price (FLT Level 3 is 1650 with core, Level 4 is 1950 with core, and Performabuilt is 1840 without core).

I was trying to find the main differences between FLT 3 and 4, but couldn't really see anything major by comparing the two pages on their website. And Performabuilt's site isn't set up like FLTs, so comparing them side by side is kinda difficult.

Big things I noticed were Performabuilt's warranty, no core requirement, tranny cooler is included and their free shipping, where FLT does not compare in those departments.

I have a basically new Circle D 3200 stall which I will be keeping.

Anyone have insight on which would be the better option??

Also, for the vendors that respond... do either of you offer a military discount?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Well you can't go wrong with either company, but I am partial to performabuilt. I am running there stage 2 and couldn't be happier. Performabuilt's customer service is top notch and one of the reasons I went with them.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

FLT also has great customer service, Some of the best i have dealt with in the aftermarket auto industry. Not trying to start anything but i thought i read somewhere from a member on this site that performabuilt would not allow you to say anything if there trans had problems. (In other words dont bash are product untill you give us a chance to fix it) Something to think abought if correct. In my opinion every manufacturer or company that upgrades any product will have a failure at sometime and cant please everyone. I dont think you can go wrong with either one but i felt more comfortable with no buyers remorse after dealing with FLT.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

That is what is making it so hard. Both seem like great companies, and it's hard to tell the big differences in their transmissions.

I'm hoping someone else has already gone through this debate and can provide insight, or one of the companies can shed light on what makes them better than the competition.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Theres a big difference between the two companies. One will actually work, and the other one will spend more time on a UPS truck. My buddy suffered all summer because of PB. His Camaro was stuck in the garage all summer. sucked he couldnt enjoy going to the track with us.

Luckily he made the right decision with FLT once he got his issues sorted out. My GTO has the FLT Level 4 and its been going strong since.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Fti ?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have tried both & the FLT tranny held up better for us........

great group of guys @ FLT with a ton of knowledge too.......

big plus,look at there shop & equipment they have......

and you cant go wrong......

good luck with your choice!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id probably lean towards FLT!!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club

Both companies are good. Id go with PerformaBuilt. I have had two of thier trannys One lv2 60e and Which I beat on hard with spray and used it for 3 years I gave it to my brother and hes running it with no issues. I went with thier T4OO for the set up I have now and I have had no problems at all.

I know several people here running PerformaBuilt and havent had a problem at all. I have also had two buddies running the FLT and both failed one in a suv with a procharger and another in a Trans Am. And both were out of warranty and were not coverd by FLT. But I have had a buddy that has one and hasnt had a problem.
I dont care who you are or what tranny you build there are going to be issues out there. Its racing YOU BREAK SH$T. LOL. Good luck on your choice I would just check with what warranty is out there first. Im not bashing anyone on here by the way making just making a statement.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 PM
MASS seller approved

i was gonna get a peformabuilt th400 but to get it rmvb they wanted another 500$ greg @ FTI hooked me up, he wont ship ups bc they have broken a few of his trannies throwing them around in the truck so the 100-150 you spend on truck freight is worth it IMO
Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 AM
11 Second Club

another vote for performabuilt. youll be more than satisfied with either one.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:04 AM
TECH Resident

I've got a FLT Lvl 5 4L65E and their customer service has been nothing but the BEST...
Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

If you were interested I have a layway ticket with them from awhile ago that needs to be paid off, but it is for a lvl 3 and converter from performabuilt. I owe 2525, and would give up the ticket for 300... kind of in a bind we would have to transfer it through them if they allow it.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

I would be interested, but the lvl 3 is more than I was looking to spend. Not to mention I do not need the converter.

Instead of people saying which one they think is better...does anyone know the main differences in the builds? Like, does FLT use better components or something like that?

It would be nice if one of the vendors could step in a give their .02. Im not trying to start a sponsor war, just trying to see where the $$ is best spent.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

my opinion is going with performabuilt simply b/c you can sell your current trans if it isnt broken for $400-500 which will bring the cost down to $1300-1400...
Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
I was looking at FLT Levels 3 or 4, or Performabuilt Level 2. Both are around the same price (FLT Level 3 is 1650 with core, Level 4 is 1950 with core, and Performabuilt is 1840 without core).

I was trying to find the main differences between FLT 3 and 4, but couldn't really see anything major by comparing the two pages on their website.

Also, for the vendors that respond... do either of you offer a military discount?
Instead of people saying which one they think is better...does anyone know the main differences in the builds? Like, does FLT use better components or something like that?

It would be nice if one of the vendors could step in a give their .02. Im not trying to start a sponsor war, just trying to see where the $$ is best spent.
If you are going to try to compare PB vs FLT I would look at their level 2 vs our level 3. In my opinion our level 3 is every bit of the trans and more. See below on the details on our builds.

In bold print on the list below are upgrades in the FLT level 4 over the
FLT level 3.

Level 4
•FLT machined performance pump.
•Media blast case, bell housing, and tail housing to restore a new aluminum finish. Prep case for assembly.
•FLT sleeved input drum
•FLT billet aluminum overrun piston
•FLT beast shell kit w/bearing kit
•8 B/W hi-energy clutches w/koleen steels in 3-4 clutch
•Extra Wide Heavy Duty double caged 29 element sprag
•4L65 low roller clutch
•Transgo HD-2 shift kit
•Corvette servo
•Alto wide 2-4 red lined band with reinforced anchor
•Bushing kit
•New solenoids
•New Internal wire harness
•New GM Spacer plate
•B/W clutches
•Seal & gasket kit
•Filter
•Updated aluminum accumulator pistons
•FLT prepped valvebody with HD shift valve
•Set end play to FLT specs
•Case cooler fittings

Below in Bold print are things we do that are unique to the FLT build.

Level 3
•FLT machined performance pump.
•Media blast case, bell housing, and tail housing to restore a new aluminum finish. Prep case for assembly.
•8 B/W hi-energy clutches w/koleen steels in 3-4 clutch

•Seal & gasket kit
•Bushing kit
•Alto wide 2-4 red lined band with reinforced anchor
•Bonded pistons/input drum
•Beast sun shell
•B/W 29 element sprag
•New BW 4L65 low roller clutch
•Transgo HD-2 shift kit
•Corvette servo
•New solenoids
•New internal wiring harness
•New GM Spacer plate
•B/W clutches
•Updated aluminum accumulator pistons
•FLT prepped valvebody
•Filter
•Set end play to FLT specs
•Case cooler fittings

Ask about our military discount when you call! If you have any other questions feel free to give us a call. Vince

www.finishlinetrans.com 1-630-350-7776
Old 03-19-2010, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan33187
If you were interested I have a layway ticket with them from awhile ago that needs to be paid off, but it is for a lvl 3 and converter from performabuilt. I owe 2525, and would give up the ticket for 300... kind of in a bind we would have to transfer it through them if they allow it.
The credit can be applied to any of the levels reguarldless of what it was originally put on just FYI

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-19-2010, 04:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Car is cam only and isn't going to be seeing huge power. It isn't a track *****, just a fun driver that can goto the track a few times a year and hit the streets at night

I was trying to find the main differences between FLT 3 and 4, but couldn't really see anything major by comparing the two pages on their website. And Performabuilt's site isn't set up like FLTs, so comparing them side by side is kinda difficult.

Big things I noticed were Performabuilt's warranty, no core requirement, tranny cooler is included and their free shipping, where FLT does not compare in those departments.

I have a basically new Circle D 3200 stall which I will be keeping.

Anyone have insight on which would be the better option??

We do offer a military discount . The parts used in out units are detailed for each level on our site.
We require no core or core charge.
Shipping is not and extra charge its in the listed prices.
Trans only get a 1 yr warranty and if you buy a trans and converter you get a 2 year warranty.
Feel free to give a call anytime. Even on the weekends
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

That is what is making it so hard. Both seem like great companies, and it's hard to tell the big differences in their transmissions.

I'm hoping someone else has already gone through this debate and can provide insight, or one of the companies can shed light on what makes them better than the competition.
I was in the same boat as you and talked to both companies as well as a couple others that aren't sponsors anymore. I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of members, and made my choice based on all that. I'm thrilled with my FLT unit and the repeated beatings it'll take all day long. I actually drove to Chicago to pick up my unit and was treated to a tour of their facility. I got to see all the components that they use and I watched them dyno my tranny.

It was an awesome experience and I'm convinced I made the absolute best choice. Believe me when I say that the parts list on their website is only half of what you're getting with each unit. Don't forget about their total quality and the fact that they dyno each unit and make sure it's operating as designed. In some cases, they'll also dyno your new converter with your tranny if you have it shipped to them. Last but not least is their lifetime rebuild special. You can't warranty these units forever, but they will give you a hell of a deal if you ever need it rebuilt or refreshed. I do believe PB offers a similar program as well.

Bottom line is that you'll find happy folks with both companies. Either will serve you well.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-lot-pics.html

This sums up my FLT experience and gives a great idea about what goes in to their units as well as their build process.

Quick Reply: FLT or Performabuilt...??