Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E Rear planet bearing gone/splines seperated

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E Rear planet bearing gone/splines seperated

Any one have the rear planet torington bearing desinegrate, as in bearing not there anymore reduced to lots of fine particals in the pan gone? Then looks like the sun gear popped the splined portion of the planet off. No forward gears, only had reverse. Any Ideas as to cause?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like stated, lack of lube, overheated, low on fluid, or just a bad bearing/planet.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pic bro, I've seen some nasty planet failures but that one might take the cake. Lack of lube is always first to mind when I hear of a planet failure, but I really don't see much of any lube issues on 60Es. I've actually had a run of several forward planet captured bearing failures in the last two weeks. One being a 53,000 mile CB

None of them showed signs of losing lube oil.I've also seen several rear ring gears split in two for no reason on stock 60Es. Quality control?

brybe- if the planet has been turned black/blue... most likely lube failure. Be sure to HOTFLUSH and flowcheck cooler or replace if no one locally has a HOTFLUSH cooler flusher. Standard overhual.

If no signs of overheating... most likely poor quality control. Standard overhaul. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 4l60E Rear planet bearing gone/splines seperated