Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new tailshaft housing (performabuilt/frank???)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new tailshaft housing (performabuilt/frank???)

So I've always had a problem with the VSS leaking from this car since I bought it. I have changed them a few times, and have swapped transmissions four times thanks to some shitty local builder before going with a performabuilt. I had my car in the shop for an alignment at my fav. mechanic and asked him to check on the leaks I keep getting. He says the tailshaft and VSS are leaking. Since I have already changed the VSS AND the seals in the tailshaft when I swapped it over from my old one to my performabuilt, is it safe to assume that the tailshaft housing has been damaged?

Also my pan has leaked since I bought the lvl2, and I've had two. Both leaked. Now I can say nothing but good things about Frank and his service but seems like after the freak accident with the weld breaking on the band on the first level2 and stall package I got, that this one would be super awesome and not leak just because I've had so much crap with the transmission in this car. What can I do about the pan/gasket? Frank sent me a new pan/gasket for the first one, and the second transmission leaks too. I'm kinda tired of buying transmission fluid, I should be majority shareholder for Royal Purple by now. I have not put a lot of miles on them either.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

On the subject of the tailshaft housing...
I think I replaced the o ring and the bushing. There was an o ring and another seal that came with the new transmission as well, and I did a fresh VSS. I replaced the o ring and the orange and black seal in this picture.

The slip yoke is the part of the driveshaft that connects to the output shaft of the transmission, right? If so then what do I need to be looking for when I inspect it later?

I was planning on a new pan with maybe 1-2 bigger capacity, some extra cooling, fins or heatpipes, and a bung for a trans temp gauge with a permadry felpro gasket like on my oil pan and valve covers. What can you guys recommend that won't hit the ground or require a different transmission crossmember? Performabuilt uses cork gaskets IIRC.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
You should get under it, and with the trans in neutral try to move the driveshaft yoke up and down in the tailhousing. If it moves a lot the bushing may be bad. If you just changed the bushing 60k miles ago and it is bad, take the driveshaft out and measure the yoke with calipers or a micrometer.
I've seen a few shaped like an hourglass. The OD tapered down small where the bushing rides and back up to original spec where the bushing didn't touch.
Nah! I changed the tailshaft housing goodies to the new trans less than 5k miles ago, I believe. That gold sleeve on the right in that picture, that's the bushing, correct?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:53 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. However I have some advise on your tail housing leak. If you are using a torque arm that bolts to the tail, it is possible that the leak is actually coming out from where the bolts go through the housing. Just for reference I am talking about the three long ones. Loosen up the mount for the torque arm and see if some oil immediately pours out of it. I have seen this many times in the past. The fix is to replace the housing with a new one or fill the wholes with sealer and hope for the best.

As for your pan leak make sure to torque the bolts 98-108 inlbs. Also make sure that the surface is nice and flat. Keep in mind if the bolts have been over torqued then the surface where the bolt go through is where you need to focus on. Especially the area where the shifter cable bracket bolts to the pan/case. I personally do not like to use cork gaskets on pans unless you have one that is tweaked. Get a good straight pan and use a fiber gasket, torque as suggested above and you should be good to go. Best of luck. Vince
Old 04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply: new tailshaft housing (performabuilt/frank???)