Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overdrive Issues after breaking rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overdrive Issues after breaking rear

Sheard teeth of the ring and pinion last weekend while I had the trans in first gear doing a burnout (built 4l60e). Put a new rear in the car and the first drive up the street I noticed it wouldn't go into 4th, it just felt like it was stuck inbetween the gears so i quickly put it back in third. I thought it might have something to do with not having the ratio updated in hptuners since i went from a 3.42 to a 3.73 but made the change when I got home and went up the road and it just feels like somethings holding it back. It did this before and it had something to do with the brake, think i had the ebrake up haha... I checked the linkage on the rear for the ebrake to make sure it wasn't causing the brake to engage without the ebrake up and it isn't so thats out of the question.

What could be causing this?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes a diff failure will do damage to the tranny. The shock of the diff failure is sent back thru the drive shaft and can/does break parts inside the tranny. Just finished building a unit for the same reason. Pull the pan and look for metal chunks. Dont drive the car till you can nail the problem down. If you do have broken pieces it will just grind them up into metal sludge and cause more damage. Good luck and keep us in the loop.

Mec
Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the rear end failed you have likley rolled and locked the input sprag. This will cause a bind up in 4th gear like the brakes on. Its a common failure with a rearend failure

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-26-2010, 04:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by performabuilt
If the rear end failed you have likley rolled and locked the input sprag. This will cause a bind up in 4th gear like the brakes on. Its a common failure with a rearend failure
This and it will burn up the overrun clutches too. It's an easy repair if you know how to rebuild a 4L60E.