Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanted pic of inside Vigilante converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wanted pic of inside Vigilante converter

would like to know if anyone has a vigilante converter that they could take a pic of the inside for me. mine looks like it has score marks in it and i dont know if the input shaft caused this.
http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/a...oto/converter/

Last edited by jjcamaro02; 05-22-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jjcamaro02
would like to know if anyone has a vigilante converter that they could take a pic of the inside for me. mine looks like it has score marks in it and i dont know if the input shaft caused this.
http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/a...oto/converter/
added photo
Old 05-22-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gonna go with a big fat NO on that one. I say this because the snout of the converter sits inside the pump of the transmission. Hence the two keyways in the snout. Being that the plate you're seeing is machined out of a single billet piece, I would say those are just marks left over from the machining process. Also, there is nothing that actually goes IN the snout. The snout goes in the pump.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by STEEPSS
Gonna go with a big fat NO on that one. I say this because the snout of the converter sits inside the pump of the transmission. Hence the two keyways in the snout. Being that the plate you're seeing is machined out of a single billet piece, I would say those are just marks left over from the machining process. Also, there is nothing that actually goes IN the snout. The snout goes in the pump.
Thanks just making sure, I have been told the trans or converter is the reason the thrust bearing in the engine keeps going. The engine has been out twice now in the past month, and i want to make sure this does not happen again.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
The pump drive tube goes in the pump.
At the same time the stator support goes into the stator, input shaft goes into the turbine.
With a properly built converter and a transmission in good working order the input shaft is approx one inch away from the crank pilot (your marks are inside the crank pilot.)

This is going off a stock converter with a hollow crank pilot, a converter with a billet front will have less clearance.
Dropped the trans pan to change fluid and looked good in pan only a little material on the magnet. Trans and converter work fine just making sure i don't have a problem so i can cross l that off my list.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Take a close look at the "stator shaft" splines. If there more than a 1/4 - 1/3 of the teeth gone, or the teeth (where the wear is occuring) closest to the transmission have a sharp ridge on them instead of being rounded, can cause the torque converter to "hang up" instead of moving in and out smoothly. This will put pressure on the back of the crankshaft, which can destroy the thrust bearing. Replacing the "stator shaft" will fix this, "if" this is the problem. This is relatively a rare problem, but have seen it a few times over the years.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PBA
Take a close look at the "stator shaft" splines. If there more than a 1/4 - 1/3 of the teeth gone, or the teeth (where the wear is occuring) closest to the transmission have a sharp ridge on them instead of being rounded, can cause the torque converter to "hang up" instead of moving in and out smoothly. This will put pressure on the back of the crankshaft, which can destroy the thrust bearing. Replacing the "stator shaft" will fix this, "if" this is the problem. This is relatively a rare problem, but have seen it a few times over the years.
Thanks will take a look at that.