Old 06-14-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default trans and a tune?

can a shitty tune mess up a trans?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing outside of transmission parameters, but it's possible by going too far with line pressure or not enough.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

reason i ask cause i know some people who've had a performabuilt trans in their f-body and it didn't last too long, all were put in and tuned by the same place . . . so maybe it's a coincidence???? i'm lookin to either have mine rebuilt locally or buy a stage 2 trans, car wont even have 500rwhp so i'm wondering if that might be overkill
Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
reason i ask cause i know some people who've had a performabuilt trans in their f-body and it didn't last too long, all were put in and tuned by the same place . . . so maybe it's a coincidence???? i'm lookin to either have mine rebuilt locally or buy a stage 2 trans, car wont even have 500rwhp so i'm wondering if that might be overkill
Could be. What went wrong with them. Maybe it was a bad install?

If you have a 'shift kit' then you really don't need to mess with the line pressures in the tune. Some do both and it can cause problems.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Could be. What went wrong with them. Maybe it was a bad install?

If you have a 'shift kit' then you really don't need to mess with the line pressures in the tune. Some do both and it can cause problems.
i'm wondering if something in the install was looked over. oh well i'm having a different shop install it and a different tuner so i'm hoping it should go good. car wont be a race car, just a DD that MIGHT see the track and i'm leaning towards performabuilt but i'm definitely going with a circle D stall
Old 06-17-2010, 09:14 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Circle D Transmissions builds one of the strongest 4L60Es available. There are only a hand full of builders that can build a 4L60E properly and make them live for years behind serious HP and they are at the top of that list. We run their transmissions in our F-bodys and they continue to impress us by holding up, shifting strong and taking us to the winners circle.

Give Dave, Glen or Sherry a call at (713) 895-7019. They will take care of you. They ship transmissions all over the US.

They are a sponsor here and have a strong proven reputation. www.circledtrans.com

Check out who built the transmissions in the fastest 2010 Camaro and Trailblazer SS
Old 06-17-2010, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more details John?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
Circle D Transmissions builds one of the strongest 4L60Es available. There are only a hand full of builders that can build a 4L60E properly and make them live for years behind serious HP and they are at the top of that list. We run their transmissions in our F-bodys and they continue to impress us by holding up, shifting strong and taking us to the winners circle.

Give Dave, Glen or Sherry a call at (713) 895-7019. They will take care of you. They ship transmissions all over the US.

They are a sponsor here and have a strong proven reputation. www.circledtrans.com

Check out who built the transmissions in the fastest 2010 Camaro and Trailblazer SS
awesome, thank you and when i know more info i'll give them a call
Originally Posted by Azrael
Any more details John?
the project is on hold
Originally Posted by Bro Inc
I've seen tunes from a reputable tuner on here that would (and has) lead to trans failure.
I read one out of a guys car who drove well over an hour to get to me and straightened it up for him.
I find it surprising to see what little was actually done.
i've always wondered if the tune could trash it and it looks like it can happen. thanks for the info guys

Search this Thread