Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 04-25-2016, 05:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Everything you need to know about tranny coolers (4l60E F-Body)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Should add that plate style coolers are more restrictive on fluid flow. You wouldnt want to say chain 2 or 3 small ones together for more cooling, at least not in series anyway. This restriction can cause trans problems as well as pushing forward on the crank causing thrust bearing failure in an engine.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Should add that plate style coolers are more restrictive on fluid flow. You wouldnt want to say chain 2 or 3 small ones together for more cooling, at least not in series anyway. This restriction can cause trans problems as well as pushing forward on the crank causing thrust bearing failure in an engine.
I'll add that in there tonight, but right now it's at the max amount of charachters for a post , so it'll take me a little while. Thanks for the input
Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I will be using this!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoa whoa whoa.... So stacked B&M cooler is good or should go with fin? Don't want issues
Old 06-26-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tube and fins flow very well but dont cool as good, stacked plate cool better but dont flow as good. You cant have your cake and eat it too you know. Basically what I was saying was this: you dont want to run multiple stacked plate coolers inline with each other. Get ONE big enough to handle your cooling needs. Also, consider not jacking with your line pressure settings in your trans too much. Bc, increased restriction causes upped line pressure, and computer tuning can equal increase line pressure....see what I mean. Too much line pressure and things go boom.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:01 AM
12 Second Club

So if I got a decent size stacked plate cooler to go in front of the radiator I would be fine but it just wouldn't flow the greatest? You gotta wonder what is the point than if neither really do justice. Why not just get a fin type and call it a day then. It would be +1 over stock anyway.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Running one plate cooler and bypassing the stock radiator (if you dont live in extreme cold areas) is perfectly acceptable IMO and should not increase fluid restriction. Running two coolers (stock and a plate) will obviously increase restriction bc now there is a second cooler to go through. A tube and fin cooler is no difference for the fluid then just traveling through a straight piece of hose. However, look at the cross-over tubes on a plate type cooler, they are tiny.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by projectX
So if I got a decent size stacked plate cooler to go in front of the radiator I would be fine but it just wouldn't flow the greatest? You gotta wonder what is the point than if neither really do justice. Why not just get a fin type and call it a day then. It would be +1 over stock anyway.
Stacked plate is more effecient at cooling because It doesn't flow as well probably (it "spends more time" being cooled w/ a stacked plate)

Tube and fin flow better, but tranny coolers arent put on the increase flow ...

The only time you need to worry about the stacked plate being a restriction is if you plan on running more than 1 cooler in the same tranny line. You shouldn't need more than one cooler in most cases.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

I will get a stacked and bypass the stock tube then. Would that be okay?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

I have been logging my trans temps on the highway, and driving around in our beautiful 100 deg Miami weather with the a/c on full blast and even making some wot rips. I Have found my trans temps reach 178deg or so at its highest point. I have bypassed the stock cooler and run a smaller B&M "fin" type cooler.

Personally, I think that stacking coolers is excessive. If anything just run the 70264. I have used this one multiple times, and have had good luck.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

First of all, nice write-up. I'm going to put in a word for the benefits of the tube and fin type cooler. I use the install described in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ny-cooler.html

Although the T&F might not be as efficient, mounted this way it is in completely open air and not backed up against a hot condenser/radiator. It gets all the airflow routed to the radiator but not the extra heat. For that reason, it is probably more efficient. Here's a pic from that thread:
Attached Thumbnails Everything you need to know about tranny coolers (4l60E F-Body)-tranny-cooler.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Some swear by doing this (including FLT if I'm not wrong?), but other companies like B&M say to not bypass the stock cooler.

It's really your choice.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Tube and fins flow very well but dont cool as good, stacked plate cool better but dont flow as good. You cant have your cake and eat it too you know. Basically what I was saying was this: you dont want to run multiple stacked plate coolers inline with each other. Get ONE big enough to handle your cooling needs. Also, consider not jacking with your line pressure settings in your trans too much. Bc, increased restriction causes upped line pressure, and computer tuning can equal increase line pressure....see what I mean. Too much line pressure and things go boom.
This is why you should install a vacuum modulator to remedy this!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

That's what I did! I used the item # 70274 from B&M. I have this on a TH350 transmission with no lockup and a 4400rpm stall converter. I needed all the cooling I could get. Here is the link to B&M if you would like to read a little more about the B&M coolers.

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Universal-SuperCoolers

Or if you like you can go to Thunder Racing to purchase it. Really fast shipping!!

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...olers_116.html
Old 07-01-2010, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Nice write up. I personally run just one aftermarket tranny cooler and bypass the stock one. I do this for insurance that if the radiator goes south it doesnt take the transmission out as well. With a 24k gvw cooler, bumper to bumper traffic, 85+ degree day and a yank ss4000 mine has never gone over 195 degrees. What ever floats your boat I guess.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Great write up!

I personally run a good sized tube and fin cooler (bypassed stocker), mounted in front of the condenser. I hardly ever use my A/C, so added heat from the condenser isnt too much of a concern. My next mod is to add in a trans temp guage.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Default Back from the dead

Can people list the largest coolers they are running currently?

I'm trying to decide what size and brand, I'm looking at the Hayden 26,000 gvw transmission cooler but I don't know if it will fit infront of the radiator. Does anyone know?

Also are the fittings for the connections 3/8ths?

Anyone with any info I would greatly appreciate the help I'm new to this stuff and doing want to make a n00b/rice mistake.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Good info. Would of loved to have seen this when I did my install
Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM

awesome thread, helped out a lot. I've been wanting to install another tranny cooler and your info helped a lot
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now hows about a nice write-up on installing a trans temp gauge!

Quick Reply: Everything you need to know about tranny coolers (4l60E F-Body)