Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which one of these converters would you get

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Hey Eric, you dont even know the difference between a flywheel and a flexplate. Jeez, i dont think you qualify to give any advice in the auto trans section based on that alone. You're a joke

Dude that post was from 6-24-10. You just got your PTC converter. Who's the nutswinger now?

You dont even have a lock-up converter, how are you giving advice to someone who is in the market for a full lockup street driven converter??
Actually dick head I had a PTC lock up converter in my car since 2007. That is before I went with a th350 and a 8" converter. Like I said before you don't know me or know what I know!! I know how well my car performed with the PTC lockup converter and how it out performed the Yank. You didn't provide anything anyone else couldn't look up and find on the internet! I provided real world experience! I am not going to go and find all sorts of data just to prove my point. YOU ARE THE NUT SWINGER!! The other companies do build good converters but it is my opinion that the PTC is better! You sir are the one that attacked me regarding your beloved YANK!! I was simply stating my opinion when you started babbling about the sponsors this and sponsors that!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
Yank, Circle-D, Precision all make good converters.
There are dozens of other converter companies who also make an excellent quality converter.
Dynamic, Chance, Coan, ATI, Edge, Pro-Torque, TCS, PTC, Hughes, etc.

PTC has an EXCELLENT reputation for their racing converters. They don't have it on their site that I can find but they have been in lots of record setting drag cars over the last few years. Lots of the drag radial guys having very good luck with them.
They also have developed an excellent rep in the TurboBuick community over the last couple of years. Low single digit slippage at WOT while allowing a little V6 with a huge turbo to spool. There's probably not a much harder combo to build a converter for than that.
However, I don't think they really cater to the lockup converter customers.
No multi-disc lockup units AFAIK.

ATI has a longstanding rep with the stock eliminator and Super Stock guys. Lots of record holders.

Typically you do get what you pay for, and converters are no exception.
However you do sometimes find a company providing a good product that may cost somewhat less and you get as good as or better product, so doing a little research is due diligence on your part.

I've noticed that converters have "markets".
In the late model market, like LS1, Mod motor fords, etc, Yank and PI are popular.
Older Pontiac guys like Continental.
Drag Radial and SE U.S. guys, PTC is popular.
NHRA stock classes, ATI is popular
Really high power 5-8 second cars you see Ultimate, Chance, Hughes, and PTC.

Nothing wrong with any of these companies. They've all earned their reputation by providing the customer with a good product that does what the customer wants.
Thanks for clearing this up for me man. I hate when know it alls try and push there ignorance on others.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by odarabla
Actually dick head I had a PTC lock up converter in my car since 2007. That is before I went with a th350 and a 8" converter. Like I said before you don't know me or know what I know!! I know how well my car performed with the PTC lockup converter and how it out performed the Yank. You didn't provide anything anyone else couldn't look up and find on the internet! I provided real world experience! I am not going to go and find all sorts of data just to prove my point. YOU ARE THE NUT SWINGER!! The other companies do build good converters but it is my opinion that the PTC is better! You sir are the one that attacked me regarding your beloved YANK!! I was simply stating my opinion when you started babbling about the sponsors this and sponsors that!!!
Can you guys please quit arguing over who knows more. Grow up and just help the OP out. Sorry I know both of you were trying to answer but your long posts over who knows more is stupid. If you guys really want to see who has a better converter go run your cars and tell about it somewhere else.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

are you looking for one that will be tight at part throttle? that was a huge factor in my converter choice
Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

i want one that is going to hit the tires the hardest for the best 60 foot i guess the higher the str the harder it will hit so it looks like ill be going with the 2.4str 3400 stall
Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Choppers
Can you guys please quit arguing over who knows more. Grow up and just help the OP out. Sorry I know both of you were trying to answer but your long posts over who knows more is stupid. If you guys really want to see who has a better converter go run your cars and tell about it somewhere else.
This was never an argument of who knew more for me. I was just trying to help the OP from the begining and let things get out of hand. Sorry for ruining your thread OP.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by irocurpony8489
i want one that is going to hit the tires the hardest for the best 60 foot i guess the higher the str the harder it will hit so it looks like ill be going with the 2.4str 3400 stall
sounds like a good deal then

its the compromise between street driving and good 60ft that is most difficult to me for a choice...I daily drive so thats why I wanted something tight like my yank

good luck!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I think of an 8" PTC, this is what I picture. Adaptor tings, Anti-balloning plates all wrapped around an Econobox 4 cylinder. I would love to see the inside of PTC's lockup verter though. Can't imagine it having serious quality parts for being under $500 lol.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219736
Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 3600. That is what I have in my D/D.

Bill
Old 06-30-2010, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

TCI SSF. Mine just blew up the other day. Less than 20k on it and less than 2 years old. Never raced. Professionally installed. It will cost me hundreds in repairs. Anyone know if TCI is making good on any of these? Warranty? Or will my satisfaction have to come from ripping them at every opportunity? Thanks TCI!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
When I think of an 8" PTC, this is what I picture. Adaptor tings, Anti-balloning plates all wrapped around an Econobox 4 cylinder. I would love to see the inside of PTC's lockup verter though. Can't imagine it having serious quality parts for being under $500 lol.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219736
I bet my stock bottom end full weight Camaro would **** all over your blown GTO even with my piece of **** PTC converter!! Kids!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

i had a ptc 3200 stall. with a 100 shot, lid, catback it went 11.64. pretty decent id say. what would spending $500 more dollars on a converter get me in the way of track times??? just wondering is all, as ive never rode in a car with a converter from any of the sponsors here. not trying to bash anyone.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

^^^if you have read any of this thread you would realize the $250 difference between a billet and non-billet converter is not gains at the track, but instead reliability on the street with the lock-up clutch. Even cheap TCIs can cut pretty decent 60 fts. Nobody has said otherwise that I can remember.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

^^^if you have read any of this thread you would realize the $250 difference between a billet and non-billet converter is not gains at the track, but instead reliability on the street with the lock-up clutch. Even cheap TCIs can cut pretty decent 60 fts. Nobody has said otherwise that I can remember.
i havent been paying much attention because it got into an argument. i guess reliability is worth paying extra for i suppose.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Finally we can agree on something. Like I've said before, as far as a well performing converter it is my opinion that PTC is right up there with the best of them. (Hughs,etc) I've had my PTC converter in my Camaro since 2007 and never had an issue with the converter or the lockup clutch but it isn't my daily driver either. That's why I decided to go with the th350 and an 8" converter. Now my 8" cost me a little over $750.00. My opinion would have to be if you want a good reliable converter for everyday use I would go with the Yank, Circle D, etc. If this isn't your everyday car and you want a good converter that is very efficient then go with the PTC.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmoken
i havent been paying much attention because it got into an argument. i guess reliability is worth paying extra for i suppose.
Agreed but a lot of people on this site have never heard of PTC before this thread. The PTC's quality may not be to the standards of the yank but I bet you it is pretty close. I do know a lot of people running them in there car without any issues.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by odarabla
Agreed but a lot of people on this site have never heard of PTC before this thread. The PTC's quality may not be to the standards of the yank but I bet you it is pretty close. I do know a lot of people running them in there car without any issues.
ive dd mine 4000 ptc for 2 years without issues so far. def a good converter if you cant afford a $700 one.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmoken
ive dd mine 4000 ptc for 2 years without issues so far. def a good converter if you cant afford a $700 one.
I was going to buy the Yank. I was already talking to Shane over at Thunder Racing about which one I was going to need when another friend of mine told me to take a look at the PTC. His brother had one in a 2001 SS Camaro and his cousin had the yank in a Formula. Both cars where full bolton cars and the Camaro was running 11.99 when the Formula was running 12.70's. I was impressed. Now I know that there was more to them running so different than the converters but I bet the converter had it's own little part in it. Then I found out the PTC was a few hundred cheaper. I admit that I was a little worried in the beginning but after dealing with them with my last converter and buying this new 8" converter and tranny from them and the customer support they have provided me was great. After what I've seen them do I would bet that if I blew up my tranny because something was wrong with the converter they would replace the tranny and the converter at no cost to me. They are that good.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I wouldn't doubt the quality of a PTC in any scenario.

When they have multiple, not 2-3 but dozens of National Record holders using their stuff in drag racing, they are doing something right.

There are plenty of cars that don't need a billet cover on the converter, even with a lockup.
If you are not making big power (say 600+) and not going to do WOT lockup, the billet cover may not be necessary.

It's a good feature, and the marketing has conditioned many consumers into thinking it's mandatory, but it's not in many cases, especially if the customer is educated about what the pros/cons and limitations may be.

More clutch friction area is mandatory for WOT lockup, even at stock power levels, but many customers will never do this.
I've done some testing using stock diam 12" converters and covers and doing WOT lockups and they are tougher than you would expect, but I still don't recommend it.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
I wouldn't doubt the quality of a PTC in any scenario.

When they have multiple, not 2-3 but dozens of National Record holders using their stuff in drag racing, they are doing something right.

There are plenty of cars that don't need a billet cover on the converter, even with a lockup.
If you are not making big power (say 600+) and not going to do WOT lockup, the billet cover may not be necessary.

It's a good feature, and the marketing has conditioned many consumers into thinking it's mandatory, but it's not in many cases, especially if the customer is educated about what the pros/cons and limitations may be.

More clutch friction area is mandatory for WOT lockup, even at stock power levels, but many customers will never do this.
I've done some testing using stock diam 12" converters and covers and doing WOT lockups and they are tougher than you would expect, but I still don't recommend it.
I would like to get someone from PTC to come in and give use a little more info about how they build such a good converter.

Quick Reply: which one of these converters would you get