Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which one of these converters would you get

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
I would like to get someone from PTC to come in and give use a little more info about how they build such a good converter.
have you talked to them about becoming a sponsor here?? theres only a few people that ive seen run one of their converters.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by odarabla
I would like to get someone from PTC to come in and give use a little more info about how they build such a good converter.
Yeah that would be educational.

I know that Kenny Ford originally worked for TCI.

TCI was a Bill Taylor owned company.
Bill Taylor sold out and I'm not sure about the timeline but at some point Kenny and I believe others left to start on their own.

Keep in mind that at one time TCI was THE name in the industry, and they still are a big name company with lots of product, R&D, etc.

My understanding is that Bill Taylor sold out and had a 10 yr non-compete clause. At the end of 10 yrs he started BTE, who now also makes converters, trans parts, etc.

As for the cores used to make the converters,
EVERYONE is using the same cores. You weld a stock or billet front cover on it, but it still started out life as a 4 or 6 cyl converter core.
ATI is the only company I am aware of that can/does make one from scratch in the aftermarket.
GM 245mm, Toyota 9", Opel, etc are pretty common cores used.

I get some pretty good education on this stuff when I'm talking to the various converter companies I deal with.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
Yeah that would be educational.

I know that Kenny Ford originally worked for TCI.

TCI was a Bill Taylor owned company.
Bill Taylor sold out and I'm not sure about the timeline but at some point Kenny and I believe others left to start on their own.

Keep in mind that at one time TCI was THE name in the industry, and they still are a big name company with lots of product, R&D, etc.

My understanding is that Bill Taylor sold out and had a 10 yr non-compete clause. At the end of 10 yrs he started BTE, who now also makes converters, trans parts, etc.

As for the cores used to make the converters,
EVERYONE is using the same cores. You weld a stock or billet front cover on it, but it still started out life as a 4 or 6 cyl converter core.
ATI is the only company I am aware of that can/does make one from scratch in the aftermarket.
GM 245mm, Toyota 9", Opel, etc are pretty common cores used.

I get some pretty good education on this stuff when I'm talking to the various converter companies I deal with.

The thing I liked most about the company is if they make a mistake they will go out of there way to make it right. No questions asked. I would like to see some of these other companies do that.

Quick Reply: which one of these converters would you get