Sponsored by:

Shift kit and/or programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift kit and/or programmer?

Not sure what to do...

My 2001 A4 SS vert is bone stock and has 61k miles. I bought the car about 2000 miles ago and I think the previous owners (older couple) had the trans fluid changed while they owned it (they were original owners) but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm going to change the fluid and filter regardless.

So...if I'm in there doing the fluid/filter what's the disadvantage of just spending a few extra bucks and putting in a shift kit, like one from TransGo for instance? I was thinking of buying a Predator handheld to get rid of TM, would that be overkill combining the two (shift kit + no TM = kaboom) or should I skip the kit and just change fluids and get crisp shifting with the programmer alone. I figure I should do a tranny cooler while I'm at it (eventually want to do stall, gears then cam, etc). What's a good trans cooler to buy? And what trans fluid is best (I know, that's like asking what beer is best )?

Any advice or suggestions are gratefully accepted!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn't do the shift kit unless you take the transmission out and do the standard upgrades in there as well. The TransGo HD kit comes with parts that go inside the trans also, some people skip that step. I'd get the kit, their high rev pump ring kit ($10), aluminum fwd and 1-2 accumulators, a better 3-4 clutch, and a HD sunshell.

As far as torque management, you need to delete it 100%. If you run TM with a shift kit it will fall on it's face during a hard shift. I even hit TM in my car when it was stock.

IMO if you don't want to eliminate TM, don't even bother doing anything to the transmission.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
I wouldn't do the shift kit unless you take the transmission out and do the standard upgrades in there as well. The TransGo HD kit comes with parts that go inside the trans also, some people skip that step. I'd get the kit, their high rev pump ring kit ($10), aluminum fwd and 1-2 accumulators, a better 3-4 clutch, and a HD sunshell.

As far as torque management, you need to delete it 100%. If you run TM with a shift kit it will fall on it's face during a hard shift. I even hit TM in my car when it was stock.

IMO if you don't want to eliminate TM, don't even bother doing anything to the transmission.
Does the TransGo HD kit come with all those extra goodies or do you need to buy them seperately? Is this something you can do without taking the tranny out and do these parts come with good instructions?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MurphyTex
Does the TransGo HD kit come with all those extra goodies or do you need to buy them seperately? Is this something you can do without taking the tranny out and do these parts come with good instructions?
The kit comes with hi-rev 3-4, and FWD return springs that need to go inside the transmission, they go inside the input drum so the transmission has to come out.
But IMO the sunshell becomes more prone to failure with firmer shifts, and the 3-4 clutch is a known weak spot. The pump rings are $10. The factory accumulator pistons for 1-2 and FWD are plastic and can break. I'd get a borg warner hi energy band with stronger mounting lugs on it.

Thats approx $200 in extra parts to increase the durability and life of the transmission in addition to the shift kit.

As far as instructions it's pretty much R&R but you need to get the 3-4 clutch clearance right. You need a spring compressor to install the 3-4 springs so a trans shop might be a good idea on that part.

Some people have problems understanding the instructions for the shift kit, which I can understand it being a problem for someone who has never seen the inside of a transmission before.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Teching In

The kit comes with hi-rev 3-4, and FWD return springs that need to go inside the transmission, they go inside the input drum so the transmission has to come out.
But IMO the sunshell becomes more prone to failure with firmer shifts, and the 3-4 clutch is a known weak spot. The pump rings are $10. The factory accumulator pistons for 1-2 and FWD are plastic and can break. I'd get a borg warner hi energy band with stronger mounting lugs on it.

Thats approx $200 in extra parts to increase the durability and life of the transmission in addition to the shift kit.

As far as instructions it's pretty much R&R but you need to get the 3-4 clutch clearance right. You need a spring compressor to install the 3-4 springs so a trans shop might be a good idea on that part.

Some people have problems understanding the instructions for the shift kit, which I can understand it being a problem for someone who has never seen the inside of a transmission before.
Jay---You seem to be a wealth of tranny info, thanks!

I'm really shying away from dropping the trans. If I do that, I might as well do the stall but the funds just aren't there right now. For now I was wanting to get the handheld so I can get rid of TM and figured while I was changing tranny fluid I might as well do a trans kit and whatever parts I could without dropping the trans. What would be the best kit for that project, or is it not worth the time/money to put in a "basic" trans kit? Thanks!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

There are many people who put the HD2 kit in without taking the transmission out.
That kit and TM delete will work well if set up properly.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Teching In

There are many people who put the HD2 kit in without taking the transmission out.
That kit and TM delete will work well if set up properly.
I think that's the route I'm gonna take, HD2 kit and TM delete. Thanks for your help!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MurphyTex
I think that's the route I'm gonna take, HD2 kit and TM delete. Thanks for your help!!!!!!
thats what i did and it made a huge difference in the tranny performance. you wont regret it for the little money the kit costs.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know where to get these items from? Any vendors supply these items?
Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jay-P
Anyone know where to get these items from? Any vendors supply these items?
I looked on eBay for "Transgo 4l60e hd2" and found quite a few available. Not sure why they run from 76 to 113 bucks depending on vendor, maybe shipping? Also some have the kit listed as Transgo 4l60e hd2A. Not sure what the "A" means if anything.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Banned

Try to get the HD2-C kit. There are small revisions between the A, B, and C.
I have seen good prices here.