Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car sucks on a roll. Stall time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
Not sure if you guys noticed the cars on GMHTP mags, alot of those guys who drag their cars are usually running 3200-3600 stalls? ive hardly ever seen guys running 4k stalls? Heck there was a guy with a 408/427 running a small 2800 stall..
I cant comment on magazine cars, but seriously? Look at the stock internal list. All the stalls are 4k+. I think a lot of drag only cars run 5k stalls.

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Iv even had one guy tell me my car would slower from a roll with a higher stall vs the stock tc due to the lost efficiency.
You know what they say....watch for idiots crossing the road.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
With a quality high stall, dead spots no longer exist. I say this with some emphasis, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE TRANSMISSION & CONVERTER TUNED RIGHT, it won't matter what mile per hour you're at when you give it hell. If properly tuned, it will downshift to the correct gear, and flash to your given stall speed and put your *** in the seat. I don't care what speed I'm going from a roll... I feel that my converter matches my setup perfectly, and if his car is faster than mine, he's going to have to prove it by either driving his *** off (manual trans car) or having an equally deadly motor/auto combination. From 65+ against an M6 car, no sweat. Like I said, dead spots are erased. Prior to the stall and gear change, when I had 3.23's, I could downshift to 2nd as long as I was at or below 70 miles per hour. It would be up in the RPMs and take off like a bat out of hell. With the stock stall though, the moment I shifted, I'd lose all that momentum because the shift extensions were, to say the least, dick! So I'd have to wait for it to hit that powerband again and by that time, against an equally fast car, or a car that may have been a little underpowered but had a better combination... I'd get dumped. Not anymore. That's the beauty of a good combination. Big cam, baby cam, I don't give a **** cam, if you have a good quality, well built high stall converter... hold the **** on because the powerband never
dies. And you can use that as sig material, lol. Sorry. I know I get carried away with my responses, but I tend to like to back up my responses with examples. Hope that
helps.
lol, I don't know if someone pee'd in your wheaties or laced em..
Old 09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
With a quality high stall, dead spots no longer exist. I say this with some emphasis, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE TRANSMISSION & CONVERTER TUNED RIGHT, it won't matter what mile per hour you're at when you give it hell. If properly tuned, it will downshift to the correct gear, and flash to your given stall speed and put your *** in the seat. I don't care what speed I'm going from a roll... I feel that my converter matches my setup perfectly, and if his car is faster than mine, he's going to have to prove it by either driving his *** off (manual trans car) or having an equally deadly motor/auto combination. From 65+ against an M6 car, no sweat. Like I said, dead spots are erased. Prior to the stall and gear change, when I had 3.23's, I could downshift to 2nd as long as I was at or below 70 miles per hour. It would be up in the RPMs and take off like a bat out of hell. With the stock stall though, the moment I shifted, I'd lose all that momentum because the shift extensions were, to say the least, dick! So I'd have to wait for it to hit that powerband again and by that time, against an equally fast car, or a car that may have been a little underpowered but had a better combination... I'd get dumped. Not anymore. That's the beauty of a good combination. Big cam, baby cam, I don't give a **** cam, if you have a good quality, well built high stall converter... hold the **** on because the powerband never dies. And you can use that as sig material, lol. Sorry. I know I get carried away with my responses, but I tend to like to back up my responses with examples. Hope that helps.

Now this is the **** im talkin bout
Old 09-01-2010, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You know what they say....watch for idiots crossing the road.
Would this be before or after I get the stall? I wonder how much it would hurt efficiency after not being able to stop in time. That would suck though cause I dont need any wheel hop on this 10bolt
Old 09-01-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im just looking for a reccomendation on the Yank stall for me. Im running on 01 Firebird Formula, Dual Catback, 125 Nitro Shot, SLP Lid, New Heads (Unknown), Ms3 Camshaft..And soon to be a Fast 102mm Fast Intake Manifold and TB. What Size Converter do you think is needed?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andy819
Im just looking for a reccomendation on the Yank stall for me. Im running on 01 Firebird Formula, Dual Catback, 125 Nitro Shot, SLP Lid, New Heads (Unknown), Ms3 Camshaft..And soon to be a Fast 102mm Fast Intake Manifold and TB. What Size Converter do you think is needed?
The MS3 is a pretty good sized cam. If it were me, I'd stay right close to the 4000 range. Call up Yank. 775-826-9955. The guy is brilliant. He'll help you out and get you what you need. I believe he builds nitrous specific converters too if you plan on spraying quite often. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:02 PM

Would the SS4000 be a smart idea? cause im not gonna be spraying all the time...Mainly at the Dragway or if a mustang creeps up on me haha.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You need spray for a mustang? . j/k

Just call up Yank, they are great to talk with and will get you set up for your car specifically.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:31 AM

hell ya. I dont just wanna beat him, I want to embarrass him.

Quick Reply: My car sucks on a roll. Stall time!