Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever wonder why a Stalled Auto will out run the M6

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very interesting graphs. But I agree more precise title would be "... why a stalled auto will outrun M6 who doesn't change gears"
Old 03-10-2011, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
how much more apples to oranges can you get? this thread makes absolutely no sense.
The point of this thread is that autos with a yank higher stall converter have LESS parasitic drivetrain loss than a manual transmission. Pretty awesome info if you ask me.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic
The point of this thread is that autos with a yank higher stall converter have LESS parasitic drivetrain loss than a manual transmission. Pretty awesome info if you ask me.
I hope that is not the point of this thread, because that will NEVER happen.

What torque converters can do is keep engines in their powerband and multiply torque. That's it.

A fluid drive cannot be as efficient as direct drive and planetary gears use more power than parallel shaft simple gears. That is just the way it is.

If the torque converter can keep the engine in its powerband and minimize its parasitic loss, your average horsepower can be higher which is what I hope he is trying to demonstrate here.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cronic_Moronic
See what happens?

Yank, you need to fix your thread.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

Title is correct!
We did run two cars against each other before and after the changes.
M6 to A6 Gm produced G8's.
The G8 M6 did out run the A6 from 30 to 90 MPH, but after the install of the SS3200 and SS3600 the M6 could not out run the A6 car. The reason is posted in the listed graphs, it is the fact that the Converter has an STR factor that will continue till the converter goes 1 to1 with no STR and becomes a direct coupling. (HP to the wheels is improved in the STR range)
You can see on the graph the point where the STR is no longer in effect as a drop in power to the wheels the SS3600 is at a higher MPH or RPM point than the SS3200.
The GM A6 transmission has no direct 1 to 1 ratio in 3rd gear as the M6 has so MPH to RPM is not the same on the Graphs.
This ratio difference allowed the A6 car to stay in the gear longer and with the extra torque the converter produced allowed the A6 car to out run in the 30 to 90 range the M6.

We ran 3 runs before and during the converter swaps of SS3200 and SS3600 to get a good average.

YANK is the only converter company that is willing to share test data with members of
LS1tech and we are happy to do so.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Yank
YANK is the only converter company that is willing to share test data with members of
LS1tech and we are happy to do so.
While I have no idea what converter companies do with their time, I would be inclined to think that you might be the only converter company who bothered to do such a test.

I would assume that most converter companies merely test their product vs the competition and vs OEM for performance and durability.

It could just be me but the way you stated "willing" almost sounds like you are implying something about the other companies. Perhaps it would be better to say that you are the only ones who have taken the time to share your test results? Just a thought.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
While I have no idea what converter companies do with their time, I would be inclined to think that you might be the only converter company who bothered to do such a test.

I would assume that most converter companies merely test their product vs the competition and vs OEM for performance and durability.

It could just be me but the way you stated "willing" almost sounds like you are implying something about the other companies. Perhaps it would be better to say that you are the only ones who have taken the time to share your test results? Just a thought.
Well personaly from my point of view all that test data from yank vs everyone elses absent data is one of the reasons I went with them. A company that has a very good rep and has plenty of helpful info on their site made them standout ahead of others IMO. Im not saying no other companies are just as good or could be better but Yank was very user friendly for me in learning what tcs do and which one to go with. Now weather or not they are the best, idk but they got my buisness by putting data out that I dont see from anyone else. Yank got it right. .02
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by speedtigger

Yank have been on this forum since it started and have yet to see any other company show test results of any kind.
We saying that if they do any testing it is not shared with the end user and question why this is.

Yank will give you the customer the info needed to make your choice in the product needed to make your project the best it can be.

Thank you
Old 03-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Yank
We saying that if they do any testing it is not shared with the end user and question why this is.
The other companies are hiding something about their torque converters! Or, are they? I am just asking the question. ~ Glen Beck.......... or was it Eric Cartman?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAuTDVuD7o

Quick Reply: Ever wonder why a Stalled Auto will out run the M6