Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shifting issues

I put an LS1 with a built 4L60e transmission in a 79 Mustang. I did not build the transmission but it is fresh... The transmission is out of a truck, not a F-Body.

If I manually shift it, it takes about 2-3 seconds before it will shift to the next gear. It had this delay if I'm racing it or just driving normal.

If I leave it in OD or drive it shifts really fast in 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd with normal driving. If I race it sometimes it will shift in 2nd as soon as the car starts to roll out. I think this is something that can be controlled through the tuning...

My biggest issue is the delay when manually shifting the car. I talked to my transmission guy today and he is saying I need a pinnacle switch so that the computer knows what gear the transmission is in when I manually shift.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

The round plug in is plugged in and the speed sensor is also plugged in. I'm using a B&M prostick shifter, I have checked the linkage several times and it is correct.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

First thing that comes to my mind is that you didn't tune the computer for your gear ratio and rear tire size. Tuning it should fix the shifting issues.
This can also effect the delay you're feeling because it uses the speed sensor (and other things) to determine Trans Calculated Load which references the Force Motor table which changes line pressure according to load. The calculation needs to be correct.

As far as a switch, the computer does read a gear selector switch on the factory shifter, it mainly references idle airflow and timing. It's not going to effect much not having it but it may run a little weird.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
First thing that comes to my mind is that you didn't tune the computer for your gear ratio and rear tire size. Tuning it should fix the shifting issues.
This can also effect the delay you're feeling because it uses the speed sensor (and other things) to determine Trans Calculated Load which references the Force Motor table which changes line pressure according to load. The calculation needs to be correct.

As far as a switch, the computer does read a gear selector switch on the factory shifter, it mainly references idle airflow and timing. It's not going to effect much not having it but it may run a little weird.
I'm running a B&M Pro stick shifter... The gear ratio was put in when the car was tuned. My brother looked at the file and it showed the torque management is shut off and a few other issues. I just have to get time for him to re-program the trans.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
I'm running a B&M Pro stick shifter... The gear ratio was put in when the car was tuned. My brother looked at the file and it showed the torque management is shut off and a few other issues. I just have to get time for him to re-program the trans.

Did you let it auto scale the shift speeds?

I don't see TM being disabled as an issue. I'd leave it shut off.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Did you let it auto scale the shift speeds?

I don't see TM being disabled as an issue. I'd leave it shut off.
My brother and another guy tuned the car, I fail at computers.

I will see if he will chime and and let you know where my settings are at.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Lots of people have this issue... the 4l60e is a hydrolic transmission..the faster the rpms go up the faster u need to shift. so basically whats happening is ur car, to a degree, is beating the computer and is "out-speeding" the shift. mine has done it plenty of times. the only way around it is to get a mean shift kit.. u need to build the pressure for each gear up more to allow it to shift faster. another alternative is get a tuner to bring the speed of shift down and "drive bomb" it. leave it in 3rd (drive) and stomp it. either way your going to probably need a little tune tweaking to get it right.. i went have to the shop 7 times for my shift points before they were even close to decent. lol.. hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96monsta
Lots of people have this issue... the 4l60e is a hydrolic transmission..the faster the rpms go up the faster u need to shift. so basically whats happening is ur car, to a degree, is beating the computer and is "out-speeding" the shift. mine has done it plenty of times. the only way around it is to get a mean shift kit.. u need to build the pressure for each gear up more to allow it to shift faster. another alternative is get a tuner to bring the speed of shift down and "drive bomb" it. leave it in 3rd (drive) and stomp it. either way your going to probably need a little tune tweaking to get it right.. i went have to the shop 7 times for my shift points before they were even close to decent. lol.. hope this helps.
We are going to play with it some next weekend since I'm changing cams and Stall this week...

The transmission is VERY well built, it was behind a 440LSX. Right now I'm considering putting something not so built in my car. I built the car to daily drive, it hits so hard on the 1-2 shift it will knock you foot off the gas pedal if you are not expecting it.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
it hits so hard on the 1-2 shift it will knock you foot off the gas pedal.
Probably just need to take the spacers out of the 2nd servo.
It can be accessed by taking the pan off and the 3 bolts holding the accumulator housing on.