Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANYONE really using a 4L60E with 600rwhp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with a mad dog transmission. I have over 650 rwhp in my 4000lb 04 GTO and it works great
Old 11-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Yes there are plenty of cars out there making big h/p that having 60e's living in them just fine. However there are only a handful of builders out there who are capable of making those units live in that environment.

You gotta do some research. Don't go with just anyone because he says he can do it. These forums are littered with guys who have been burned over and over because they made a poor decision.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by yulluz2
I went with a mad dog transmission. I have over 650 rwhp in my 4000lb 04 GTO and it works great
You must be the luckiest guy on LS1tech then.... or you don't drive your car. Every Sad dog transmission Ive ever seen has been on a bench being fixed by someone else.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club

RPM or FLT and don't look back. I personally run a RPM trans in my car.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie
You must be the luckiest guy on LS1tech then.... or you don't drive your car. Every Mad dog transmission Ive ever seen has been on a bench being fixed by someone else.
ok to each his own but a 4000lb car runnin 11.0 with 1.52 60' you can't say I don't drive it I have had it at 2 PINKS all out comps and countless street and track races prolly has in the neighborhood of 1200 passes this year alone so no I don't drive it much at all.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:24 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree, since have the Mad Dog transmission, and it has lived that long, you need to call the Guinness World Record book, as that never happens from what I and other builders have seen over the years.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

From what I understand, the weakness of the 4l60 is not the power it can handle when built, but the rpms it can take. I've always heard not to rev them over 65 to 6800 rpms and you'll be fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PBA
I agree, since have the Mad Dog transmission, and it has lived that long, you need to call the Guinness World Record book, as that never happens from what I and other builders have seen over the years.
so this is the bash on MAD DOG TRANS thread.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi2Slo
From what I understand, the weakness of the 4l60 is not the power it can handle when built, but the rpms it can take. I've always heard not to rev them over 65 to 6800 rpms and you'll be fine.
No, there are a few things you can do to sustain pressure from spinning them over 6500.........

To me the small apply piston area or surface for 3-4 clutches has to be the biggest issue for keeping these things living.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:43 PM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I have never had a problem with high rpms in the 700R4 & 4L60E. I know of three that I supplied parts for, one that is shifting at 8,700rpm, the other two 8,400rpm & 8,200rpm respectively. To do this successfully, there are a few additional things that need to be done to accomplish this, other than the normal upgrades.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 AM

so this is the bash on MAD DOG TRANS thread.

Listen you come to this site making only posts supporting Sad Dog. Then you take offense to what others have to say. Listen your either lou or one of his employees plain and simple! Dont expect to get the support of the members her after many have had a bad track record with them. Also the simple fact of when good things are said about them its usually someone with less than a dozen posts. Just calling the way I see it.

Last edited by Vince B; 12-01-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairws6
No, there are a few things you can do to sustain pressure from spinning them over 6500.........

To me the small apply piston area or surface for 3-4 clutches has to be the biggest issue for keeping these things living.
Originally Posted by PBA
I have never had a problem with high rpms in the 700R4 & 4L60E. I know of three that I supplied parts for, one that is shifting at 8,700rpm, the other two 8,400rpm & 8,200rpm respectively. To do this successfully, there are a few additional things that need to be done to accomplish this, other than the normal upgrades.
Oh I see, well that all makes sense. As for the apply piston, is there one available with a larger surface area?
Old 12-01-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi2Slo
Oh I see, well that all makes sense. As for the apply piston, is there one available with a larger surface area?
I have heard of it being done. However the issue is the input drum would have to be machined in order to make this happen. Basically removing what little bit of material there is in this area. In my opinion this will weaken the drum and cause another failure. Just my opinion. Vince
Old 12-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vince B
Listen you come to this site making only posts supporting MADDog. Then you take offense to what others have to say. Listen your either lou or one of his employees plain and simple! Dont expect to get the support of the members her after many have had a bad track record with them. Also the simple fact of when good things are said about them its usually someone with less than a dozen posts. Just calling the way I see it.
first thing first I only post a few times because YOU ***** beat up on folks for speaking their opinions and experiances I have seen this in the past under another screen name. secondly I don't work for Lou nor am I Lou. YOU do not know me and I can have an opinion if YOU don't like my opinion then ******* delete me,YES I SUPPORT MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS THEY DO A GREAT JOB AND I DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT ME FOR I KNOW THAT I AM A BETTER PERSON THAN YOU because I understand that everyone has an opinion and they all stink but everyone is entitled to their own!!!!! and whose NUT SWINGER ARE YOU ANYWAY

Last edited by yulluz2; 12-01-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Teching In

first thing first I only post a few times because YOU ***** beat up on folks for speaking their opinions and experiances I have seen this in the past under another screen name. secondly I don't work for Lou nor am I Lou. YOU do not know me and I can have an opinion if YOU don't like my opinion then ******* delete me,YES I SUPPORT MAD DOG TRANSMISSIONS THEY DO A GREAT JOB AND I DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT ME FOR I KNOW THAT I AM A BETTER PERSON THAN YOU because I understand that everyone has an opinion and they all stink but everyone is entitled to their own!!!!! and whose NUT SWINGER ARE YOU ANYWAY

HAHAHA! Wow man, you are classy. Better than him, you sure aren't... The words you speak sounds a lot like something Lou would say. The reason Sad Dog gets bashed here is because his transmissions are junk and the guy is an idiot. If his piles of transmission parts worked half as good as he thought they did RPM transmissions and FLT would be out of business.

As for whos nutswinter Vince is, you don't have a freakin clue who you are talking to.... He is his own nutswinger LOL!

Ask a few of the vendors on here that have done business with him. They will fill you in.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chief just get a 4l80e and be done with it.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 69TA
Chief just get a 4l80e and be done with it.
Hahahaha.........well there ya have it, a simple answer to your question. Wish i would have done this from the beginning but there's no looking back now!! I'm way too stubborn to go the easy route
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

You gonna be man enough to come here and let everyone know your transmission failed miserably when it does? Or do you just do the internet keyboard warrior thing?

g
Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 posts and 3 in this thread... his sad dog trans is fictional... and the poster either works for them or bought one and is defending his purchace... buyer beware.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie
HAHAHA! Wow man, you are classy. Better than him, you sure aren't... The words you speak sounds a lot like something Lou would say. The reason Sad Dog gets bashed here is because his transmissions are junk and the guy is an idiot. If his piles of transmission parts worked half as good as he thought they did RPM transmissions and FLT would be out of business.

As for whos nutswinter Vince is, you don't have a freakin clue who you are talking to.... He is his own nutswinger LOL!

Ask a few of the vendors on here that have done business with him. They will fill you in.
so you are saying that I can only have my oppinion if I have nothing better to do that post my oppinion on a forum on the internet all day long everyday since 2005 and then and only then will I become the INTERWEBZ god that he is and be able to have that oppinion

Last edited by yulluz2; 12-03-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: ANYONE really using a 4L60E with 600rwhp?