Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The ULTIMATE 4l80 builder & MY experience !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The ULTIMATE 4l80 builder & MY experience !!!!

I just HAD to post this since I"d had so much trouble out of the first 4l80 trasbreak valve body that I"d purchased.

I made a post about the seriously poor service & operation of a vendors valve body. Jake of Jake"s performance transmissions replyied with a post that he"d send me a free valve body just for posting feedback. I felt the very least I could do is send some money to cover shipping. which he didnt ask for OR want.

well, with the new valve body in, the trans still had a slight slip going into 3rd gear, jake stated the clutches had probably slipped with the other valve body and the clutches would show they"d been slipped. Jake OBVIOUSLY had previous experiance with this other valve body, because it looked JUST like he said it would !!!!!

pulled the trans and took it to a local NON performance trans guy, told him to pull the guts out and look at 3rd gear, sure enough , it looked just like jake said it would, he stated all that needed done was replaceing these { they still looked brand new,but you could see where they had been slipped} so I told the guy to replace only the 3rd gear clutches, put it back in and WALLA !!!! this has got to be the baddest 4l80 on the market !!!!

my car makes just over 1000rwhp and this trans shifts nice and firm at part throttle and Immediatly under WOT !!!!!! I STILL can"t believe how damn good it works !!!!

If your looking for a stand alone NO electronics. trans break, forward pattern valve body OR complete transmission you HAVE to keep Jake in mind... this guy didn"t know me from JACK !!!!

I STILL CAN"T BELIEVE WHAT THIS GUY DID FOR A COMPLETE STRANGER !!!!! I can tell you I have a couple of HIGH dollar transmissions, and have NEVER had this kindof service.

anyone in the henderson KY area is free to stop in and go for a ride . the transbreak release time was great also. I"d say it was just like a normal break release time. nothing like FINALLY haveing a bulletproof trans with overdrive !!!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN JAKE !!!!!

http://www.jakesperformance.com/

You can also reach him by calling the shop:
(940) 458-5564

I think it"s VERY important to let fellow racers KNOW that there is someone out there makeing there OWN VALVE BODY thats affordable . AND WORKS !!!!! with a stock pan !!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the feedback Steve.

I see you got it going!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

we had some thing similiar happen with vince from FLT, i never met the guy & he stepped up & helped us..... when another trans vender let us down big time......

this is good to hear.......thanx for stepping up to the plate jake...my hat is off to you!

major props!!!!! people dont forget this.....
happy holidays to all!!!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the comments guys.

Vince is also one of the good guys.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well guys I have to give jake a thumbs up also. He built me a top notch trans to get mine together. Unfortunately I ended up with a lot of medical bills and stuff so the car is still setting. But I plan on ordering some stuff next week. Anyway Jake knows his stuff and is aa stand up guy.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

I plan on doing business with him soon
Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

also was there anything else done to your trans aside from the trans brake
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Teching In

I ordered my Stage II 4L80E w/ trans brake yesterday, Jake went above and beyond to help me out. It's good to hear all the positive things and I believe all of them after working with him yesterday.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

nice to know they is still good people out there !!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ill be ordering a 4L80 next week from him before the special is up. The transbrake sounds like the best in the biz!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

positive threads are a welcome change!
Jake is helping me decide what route to go and his prices are awesome!
I'm just too poor for the 80 - might go TH400 instead - still appreciate a great vendor
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by heymoej
we had some thing similiar happen with vince from FLT, i never met the guy & he stepped up & helped us..... when another trans vender let us down big time......

this is good to hear.......thanx for stepping up to the plate jake...my hat is off to you!

major props!!!!! people dont forget this.....
happy holidays to all!!!!!
Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Thanks for the comments guys.

Vince is also one of the good guys.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thanks guys the comments are appreciated! I feel that taking care of people is very important in this industry and word of mouth is the best advertising you can ever have. I have helped many customers out over the years and it seemed to really pay off for Finish Line while I worked for them. Jake is a great guy and his shop will really see the dividends from his excellent business ethic's and products! Keep up the great work Jake.

Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
I need some help. Im about to take my 4l65e back out for the 4th time in 2 months. Latest issue....i had my builder put 8 borg clutches in the 3-4 pack and after 3 days the pack is seized. Acts like a trans break in 1st and reverse acts like neutral. Wont shift to 4th. Anyway, builder says he was afraid centrifugal force might apply 3-4 and lock it up. How do other guys make this 8 pack setup work?
Personally I feel that there is something that your builder is missing or there is something seriously wrong with your car effecting the transmission. Have you or your builder ever installed a pressure gage on your transmission to see what the pressures are on your transmission? This is probably the first thing that should be done the next go around with this transmission. As far as making any clutch pack work there are many things that go into a build and in my opinion a clutch is what it is. It either works or it doesn't. Not knowing your builder or how your trans was built its hard for me to pass judgment here. If you would like shoot me a pm with the details and maybe I can help you out. Vince
Old 02-23-2011, 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

After reading good comments (not many, but all are very positive) about Jake's trannies I decided not to try to build one myself but add some and purchase his Stage 3. I hope I also will be posting positive feedback soon. I hope his tranny will give me a possibility to build fastest street F-body in my country
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very encouraging words there, thanks for the great feedback!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great customer service Jake. Glad to see there are other guys out there who aren't afraid to give parts to good people to help them out when they are in need.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for great customer service, Jake helps me out too
Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Jake will be getting the nod for a 4L80E in my 68 very soon.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

I ordered mine and should be ready pretty soon.. Can't wait to get it in my car and try out the transbrake....
Old 02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Great customer service Jake. Glad to see there are other guys out there who aren't afraid to give parts to good people to help them out when they are in need.
Jeremy,
I have tried several 4L80 transbrakes without great success. One was a former sponsor here who was selling garbage. Absolute POS that had huge issues.
Another one I tried was from the same vendor as Steve got his from. I'm sure you could guess who but it had quirks that would kill clutches over time and also had an issue with 1-2 WOT shift when hot.

I finally developed my own and eliminated all the issues.

When I saw Steve suffering from the same frustration I dealt with, we gave him a brake to help him out and as a bit of a "one-up" to the vendor since they would never admit fault with their product.

Others on the market operate too slow, we eliminated that as well
Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can't wait to get mine If all works out good, AWD won't be totally dominating strips here I hope

Quick Reply: The ULTIMATE 4l80 builder & MY experience !!!!