Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to install a torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
is it possable that you /they ( the trans shop) tried to bolt up the trans with out the conv being seated in the pump and there fore damanaged the pump??
just asking, Johnny
sorry bout the late response its been crunch time with school and finals this week...the converter was seated properly i could get the alignment of the block to the tranny housing...it turns out that after meeting up with the tranny guys they pointed out that the seal were hub of the converter goes into needed to be replaced. and not the pump. i gave wrong info.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
How did you make out with this?
it still at the shop waiting on the converter to come back but i just sent it last thursday so it might be a week or so...the tranny guys said that the seal were the hub goes into need to be replaced and that the hub on the vert needed to get looked at. I thought it something major but it all little stuff right and hopefully stays that way.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oxblood!z28
does this look like a little over 1 inch?
Definantly needs a little more push one more will do it but less than a inch is no good
Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by brian r
Definantly needs a little more push one more will do it but less than a inch is no good
I got it back from the shop not to long ago they did all the hard work but thanks for droping a line...I'm hoping that they did it right but now my park dosen't want to stay in park..I might of done something to the cable when I was lowring the trans trying to put the vert in. Any how the car is back and very close to getting started just waiting on a few things..
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ur engine should be tilted downwards cuz it has nothing holding the back up. So you need to tilt ur transmission belhousing upwards. And make sure u have the converter all the way in.

I have had the best luck by putting trans jack up tight but not lifting trans and motor, just tighten it up, then remove cross member, lower it enough to get top bolts out or in, then raise it back to the highth were it sat on cross member. Now, put a small vertical jack under oil pan with a thick wide board to keep from damaging pan. Now you can take out the rest of the bell housing bolts and converter bolts or put them in. So when you are lifting the trans back in, everything is level. When putting them in, put just the two bolts in each side of bell housing, align converter, bolt it on. Trans should go up against block fairly easy sense you put the jack under oil pan. This will give you two different ways of adjustments if needed. One with the trans jack and one with the block if you need any at all. When converter is on you can now take the jack out from under the block and let trans down a little to be able to reach top bolt to bell housing much easier. Also getting the mount that holds the breather hose goes on the top bolt as well. Put dip stick in then the fluid lines because lines are always in the way if you put them on first before dip stick. At least they are for me. Hope this double jack method helps to align a little easier.

Quick Reply: How to install a torque converter