Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Automotive and Transmission Center....good , bad, ...?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Automotive and Transmission Center....good , bad, ...?

Anybody ever buy an automatic transmission from this place? They are in Bossier City, La.

They make big HP transmissions.

www.transmissioncenter.net
Old 02-14-2004, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didnt buy one of their trannies, but I have bought parts from them. I have one of the "extreme" input shafts, drum kit, and "beast" reaction shells.........

I have had good luck with them, and they were VERY quick in shipping the parts to my builder.

I HAVE also heard of some issues with some of the clearences on the drum kits though, but like i said, i have had no problems with mine.

I am sure some of the other guys will chime in, and those that have had problems can give you the details.....

Old 02-16-2004, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive only bought parts from them.and will be buying a converter for my 700r4 from them again.they shipped pretty quik.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

I bought my 700e raptor and am completely statisfied with the whole experience.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

ive never purchased anything from them personally but was seriously looking at their quadzilla or one of their 4l60e's. but just a couple weeks ago i ran into a thread here or on of the other f-bod sites and they had lots of complaints. there was a link to the better buisness bureau showin very negative things about them. like i said i havent had any experience with them but i remember i was glad i didnt after readin that thread. i searched a lil and couldnt find the thread. but i found this at the bbb. http://www.shreveport.bbb.org/common...745&national=Y
Old 02-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I had a 95 Mustang Gt and but one of there Perforamnce AODE and went through 3 of them but they finally got it right and got a good one to me and the OD went out at 5000 miles, personally I think they overrate thereselves,I woudn't waste your money
Old 02-20-2004, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

I've bought parts from them, I once ordered a bearing and I specified which one and they sent the wrong one, they sent the whole bearing kit out for the tranny $25 + next day air shipping and they didn't charge me for it and I paid for was a $5 bearing.

Nothing but good things to say in the area of ordering parts from them
Old 03-05-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

I have their Mega Raptor 4L60E in my 1999 Chevy Tahoe. I bought it because I heard that they are one of the only ones who build a trans that could take the abuse my truck would have ditched out.

Let's see... I bought it in April of 2003, took two weeks to get it. Go to install it in May, find out they sent me the wrong transmission. I told them NON-LS1 style, they send an LS-1 style bellhousing. Takes a month to get the correct trans, I send the other one back. It gets installed in June/July. I find the truck had a bad injector harness (truck is nowhere near stock) which I fixed.

October/November- The trans let loose while cruising down Sunrise Hwy one night, clunks back to Third. I get home, next day no Reverse, Second, or Fourth. I call them up to find out that I am out of my 6 month warranty even though I didn't get the trans until JUNE.

December - I reluctantly send the trans to them for a "free repair", I pay the shipping (400 in freight). They thought I broke the unbreakable "Beast" reaction shell they installed. Turns out that a snap ring checked out, killed the 3-4 clutch pack, planetaries, and destroyed part of the case.

January - Receive transmission back. Bring from terminal to back of my truck.

February 18th - Goes to the shop to be reinstalled.

February 19th - Get the truck back, everything tested well.

February 20th - Drove it to work and back, nice to have the truck back.

February 21st - More cruising.

February 22nd - Drive it home, trans starts acting up. No converter lockup, 3-4 shift time > 6 seconds. Trans temp is 240ish. Immediately park it. Fluid level looks low, add a pint, now it barely moves.

I have sent the truck to a local trans shop that deals with 4L60's. Waiting to find out what went wrong. I had the damn thing 4 days, and it died.

I will not comment until I find the problem and it's cause. But I am NOT happy with their customer service, and their QC is not so hot either. The case was supposed to be powdercoated black, but it was spraypainted black

We shall see...
Old 03-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

ChevyThunder17 Wow, that totally sucks. When I got my 700e raptor from them in June it took about two weeks from time of order to get to my house. They sent the right one. I installed it myself. I put in a TCI 3k stall at the same time. The car is not a daily driver but, when it does get driven it gets driven HARD! I have put about 5k miles on it since the install. I am not in any way defending PT. Being a perfectionist, I can relate to your pain. After going thru similar gyrations with other companies I have sold myself on the idea that people make mistakes, that's not the problem... The problem is when said company has all the customer service skills of a grapefruit. I take the people's experiences of this board and the Peformance World pretty seriously as I am sure alot of us do. With that said, I would appreciate it if you would keep us updated in this thread as I am going to further withhold any recommendations persuant to Peformance Transmissions.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Last time it was an e-clip let loose and grenaded the transmission. I will find out what killed it this time, and I hope for their sake is was a parts failure. I am going to have a local shop fix it, here is why...

Freight to Performance Automotive $150 with me taking it to the terminal, which is kinda hard when your TRUCK is broken.

Freight back to NY, $250. I was told $300 round trip when I first called in to find my warranty out.

Plus $500 for removal and installation.

A month after I shipped the trans and received it back, Overnite sends me and invoice charging me $102. I guess since I don't have an account I paid top dollar.

Grand total: $950 and three months of no truck because of a clip "failing".

I will post tomorrow when I find out the verdict and the price. Fortunately for me the shop I had it installed it is doing me a huge favor and hooking me up with a local shop for a discounted rate.

We shall see...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

ChevyThunder17, an E-Clip? Man that is freaky. I did drop / replace the pan with a B&M Deep Pan and did a quick inspection on my tranny prior to installation. Like I said people can make mistakes...
Old 04-03-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I figure it's been a bit since I've updated, so let me explain what's happened.

I got the transmission rebuilt. I had no choice since this unit was wasted. The local shop found NO filters on the valvebody, and there were holes on it that shouldn't have been there. It cooked out.

It cost $2400 to get it rebuilt with the same parts the PATC used. I am so far happy, minus a few little issues that I must take care of. In the next couple of weeks I will be converting back to the stock fuel injection due to budget constraints, and I believe that if I leave it how it is, it could cause another problem.

I will post again soon.

--George

Quick Reply: Performance Automotive and Transmission Center....good , bad, ...?