Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced whole transmission and wont move!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011 | 01:26 PM

Default replaced whole transmission and wont move!!!

last night mechanic and i putted used 4l60e on my 2000 camaro z28 and drove it to maybe 5 blocks away with stop signs and after next red light, moved very slow then hear the racheting sound and the transmission wont move at all on r and d. what is the possible the problem?

Old 03-02-2011 | 01:32 PM
9 Second Club

where did u get the tranny junk yard if so get ur money back or get it exchanged.It might be the sunshell might of broke or been broken, did yall hook up everything ok?
Old 03-02-2011 | 01:47 PM

yes from lkq company that my work trusted that they do sell the replace parts that actually works.. i thought if the sunshell broken then it will only stay with 3 or 4 gears?? but it wont even move on all gears
Old 03-02-2011 | 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by firstz28
yes from lkq company that my work trusted that they do sell the replace parts that actually works.. i thought if the sunshell broken then it will only stay with 3 or 4 gears?? but it wont even move on all gears
I'm no pro but I have seen quite a few guys on these forums not seat the converter back all the way in the trans and it ends up tearing the front pump apart. That could be your issue seeing as it doesn't move at all. Either way, I don't think it will be a simple fix, you'll have to pull the trans.
Old 03-02-2011 | 02:11 PM

lt1pwr1 u maybe right but i remember when i put the 3 bolts on the torque converter and the torque converter does move forward to the flywheel.. is that suppose be that way?
Old 03-02-2011 | 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes there is typically some space between the converter and the flexplate. The stock converter would slide forward and backwards some. That doesn't mean it is or it isn't seated though.
Old 03-02-2011 | 03:58 PM

so the problem is the converter? other opinion from mechanic said it possible the filter fell off?? i just putted new fluid into it i dont want to waste it but seem like i have to?
Old 03-03-2011 | 05:50 AM

bump please helppp
Old 03-03-2011 | 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by firstz28
bump please helppp
Did you check the fluid level the proper way?

If it was making noise, it needs to come out and be disassembled and inspected. I'm sure something is broken by your description.
Old 03-03-2011 | 08:42 AM

yes the fluid is in proper level..
Old 03-03-2011 | 12:58 PM
Launching!

How much fluid did you have to add once the tranny was warmed up and a valid level was on the dipstick with tranny in park or neutral and all warmed up? 700r4/4l60/e transmissions can be smoked not long after engine startup if you do not get them close to full after installing them!

Like the guy said above... did you hear ANY noise when it was driving?

Why is it so hard for people to get the 3 clicks and drops of the converter while installing it? That procedure has been around alot longer than i have been alive (39yrs) and yet people still choose to rush a tranny install only to cost themselves alot of money.....which could be used for other go-fast goodies.
Old 03-03-2011 | 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think the trans is broken. Not much more explanation for the car not moving.
Old 03-03-2011 | 03:58 PM

i have added 5 and half qt of dextron iv, then i keep on putting the gears back and forward until i think its enough time then i checked the dipstick and its on perfect level and drove it.

no noises until the red light then heard racheting sound once then it wont move..

it took me 11 hours on the transmission remove and install.. install took me longer.. i do take my time..
Old 03-05-2011 | 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I think the trans is broken. Not much more explanation for the car not moving.

Is that a scientific conclusion? Def not an intelligent conclusion. So if the shift cable was misadjusted and not getting it into a gear then obviously the trans is at fault, right? DUH!

If the tranny took 5qts. to get full and you ran it like that then there is a good chance that YOU burnt it up before you even moved it out of the drive! Either way...tranny is a gigantic, expensive and rather od-shaped....paperweight!

Next time...make sure you get the 3 clicks out of the torque converter and there are many manuals out there for your specific car that shows how many qts. your tranny needs taking into account the size of the pan installed. I would get within a quart of capacity BEFORE i ever start a 700r4/4l60/E ALWAYS!
Good luck on your next R&R.

Post a question if you get to a point that you are not sure. There are plenty of people here to help!
Old 03-05-2011 | 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you being a smart-*** and then agreeing with me? Shouldn't you go talk **** to your old lady or something? Crawl back under your rock.
Old 03-06-2011 | 10:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Are you being a smart-*** and then agreeing with me? Shouldn't you go talk **** to your old lady or something? Crawl back under your rock.
No i was bein a smart a$$ and then telling the poster how he might have burnt up his tranny....unlike you....offering nothing but comments with absolutely no information in them whatsoever.

I like talking "****" to you...apparently it gets your panties all in a bind....thats good for the rest of us on the forum....youll be using up precious time trying to get your panties unwadded.....chances are that we will see less posts from you during that time....its a win-win situation for US.

Yes....that little thought in the back of your brain bucket is correct.

YOU GOT OWNED!

Old 03-06-2011 | 10:35 PM
On The Tree

or the converter itself is gone.happened to me car ran fine then next mile heard a grind then no movement just revving. converter came apart and sent stuff all threw the tranny and ended up having to replace both.
Old 03-06-2011 | 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by remauto1187
No i was bein a smart a$$ and then telling the poster how he might have burnt up his tranny....unlike you....offering nothing but comments with absolutely no information in them whatsoever.

I like talking "****" to you...apparently it gets your panties all in a bind....thats good for the rest of us on the forum....youll be using up precious time trying to get your panties unwadded.....chances are that we will see less posts from you during that time....its a win-win situation for US.

Yes....that little thought in the back of your brain bucket is correct.

YOU GOT OWNED!

First of all, you can't claim that you yourself owned somebody.

Second, based on my interpretation of the thread I didn't feel that giving technical advice was warranted. Most people are not capable of repairing an automatic transmission themselves so besides saying the transmission is likely unfixable by the average joe, what the hell else is there to say? My post simply stated take it to somebody who knows what the hell they are doing, I just didnt say it exactly like that. It was a given point to anyone with half a brain.

Third, maybe if you didn't act like such a douche, people would help you in your threads. Perhaps that's why you have no replies except for yourself bumping your own thread.

I'm done with this thread. Good day to you sir.
Old 03-11-2011 | 10:15 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah so you resort to calling names like a 15yo. Whatever floats your boat.

And you dont have to know how to rebuild a tranny to NEED to know that a 700r4/4l60e will not tolerate being underfilled when started for the first time after a rebuild or after a drain/flush. It will roast them almost instantly!

Kind of nice information to have since alot of us are removing engines/trannys often with our projects.

And i am pretty sure a douche (Havent heard that term since high school in the 80's) is a person that puts some crap like you have in your location referring to "peoples mommas house". Grow up kid. Make it quick...the world isnt gonna slow down for you to catch up.

Last edited by remauto1187; 03-11-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: replaced whole transmission and wont move!!!