Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-13-2016, 03:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Gas Mileage Tips & Tricks A4 Trans am

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ lmao your going to get a ticket dude!.......... THIS IS WHAT I HAVE COME UP WITH: ** DONT QUOTE ME ON THIS BECAUSE IM NOT AN ENGINEER ***
1) BOLT-ON'S (AIR INTAKE EXHAUST ECT) HELPS!
2) AND HIGH SAFE AMOUNT OF PRESSURE TO TIRES
3) USE A PROGRAMMER TO GAIN MILEAGE & PERFORMANCE
4) WAX YOUR CAR < lOl
5) DRIVE WITH WINDOWS UP WHEN POSSIBLE
6) - DO NOT USE A HIGH GEAR EX: 373 GEAR
7) IN THE WORDS OF SILVERZ28CAMARO "instead just park near by, and walk you lazy *** an extra 100 feet" lol!
- ANYMORE FELLAS ???
Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my heads and cam I get around 19-20 on the freeway with 3.23 gears. Its just apart of life man. I know 6speed get better gas mileage then we do. You either gotta keep your RPMs low and get a different car.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayPrince99TA
i've been told that the drag from driving with your windows down is worst then driving with your a/c on......(dont quote me on this but it is what i was told.) mythbusters also did an episode proving this!
Yeah, I keep my AC cranked justabout all summer. You lose a little mpg in the city, but I don't notice a difference on the hgihway. I think that's more of an issue with cars with small 4cyls. The LS1 has plenty of extra power to turn the AC compressor, it doesn't even notice it's there.

I might lose maybe 1mpg in combined driving while running the AC. WELL worth it IMO.

What I do for economy is try to use the cruise control when possible, and keep it between 65-70 on the highway. Also, try to anticipate red lights, and just let your foot off the gas sooner....alot of times you'll coast right up to the light as it's turning green. Same thing with offramps...you know when you're getting off the highway, and when you usually brake. Instead of doing 65 or 70 right up to the ramp and then braking hard, let off the gas early, so you never need to touch the brakes. Yeah, there's always some a-hole behind you who'll floor it and whip around you to take the same exit, then have to jack up on the brakes to make the turn. F him, I always say.

I look at it this way: any time I'm using the brakes, I'm wasting fuel.

And nice thing about these cars, with the way they handle, you can take a 35mph ramp at 60, 65mph, so if you're switching highways, you never touch the brakes, and you're already at crusing speed when you get off the ramp. Thereare a few exits like that where I never even shut the cruise off.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can lower your car if it sits high after weight reduction..

if you were to get ls6 heads, they claim to have better combustion efficiency, more compression helps with power output, and tls6 heads make more power..

get some used ls6 heads, mill them down a bit, and bamm...more power and mileage.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
The way I try to save gave besides the usual maintenance especialy after the stall went in is to roll through stop signs, coast to red lights (or past if no one is coming), take off easy on the throttle, stay steady speed on highway, and stuff like that. You can only do so much to save gas before you decide the only way is to not drive it.
I'm not so sure this is a good idea... sure gas is expensive, but it's still not as expensive as a ticket for running a red. Maybe it doesn't look like there's anyone around but you never know where there's a cop hiding behind a bush.

One thing I would stress to improve fuel economy is to be conservative with your braking. Don't be like every idiot on the road who floors it away from stop lights and then slams on the brakes at the next one. Coast to red lights, leave plenty of space between you and the car in front of you so you don't have to brake if they slow down to turn, etc.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch;14705697[B
]I'm not so sure this is a good idea... sure gas is expensive, but it's still not as expensive as a ticket for running a red. Maybe it doesn't look like there's anyone around but you never know where there's a cop hiding behind a bush.[/B]
One thing I would stress to improve fuel economy is to be conservative with your braking. Don't be like every idiot on the road who floors it away from stop lights and then slams on the brakes at the next one. Coast to red lights, leave plenty of space between you and the car in front of you so you don't have to brake if they slow down to turn, etc.
Come on, lighten up a little. Maybe I should have said I was "lol-ing" after I said that. Your honestly going to pick apart what I said like that? To each his own I guess but im glad I have a sense of humor so go ahead, micro manage away sir but I have better things to do

OP...dont ever break the law like that. I was only having fun. I wouldnt want anyone suing me because they couldnt decifer what I was saying was a joke...Im gonna have to start putting labels on my posts. You know, just like when the dumb bitch sued mcds back in the day cause the coffee was hot. !! CAUTION THIS POST ISNT TO BE TAKIN SERIOUSLY...ATTENTION TO ALL DEPENDANT THINKING MORONS DO NOT ALLOW YOUR LACK OF COMMON SENSE TO PUT THE BLAIM ON OTHERS
Flame away, I have better things to do
Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Come on, lighten up a little. Maybe I should have said I was "lol-ing" after I said that. Your honestly going to pick apart what I said like that? To each his own I guess but im glad I have a sense of humor so go ahead, micro manage away sir but I have better things to do

OP...dont ever break the law like that. I was only having fun. I wouldnt want anyone suing me because they couldnt decifer what I was saying was a joke...Im gonna have to start putting labels on my posts. You know, just like when the dumb bitch sued mcds back in the day cause the coffee was hot. !! CAUTION THIS POST ISNT TO BE TAKIN SERIOUSLY...ATTENTION TO ALL DEPENDANT THINKING MORONS DO NOT ALLOW YOUR LACK OF COMMON SENSE TO PUT THE BLAIM ON OTHERS
Flame away, I have better things to do
Read your post again, you made no indication whatsoever you were joking. If anything you intentionally made it sound serious by adding other pieces of advise as well.

With the way other people behave on this forum at times you can never be sure who's just kidding and who's being serious.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

^ Either WAY IT WAS PRETTY FUNNY!
- I have enough common since to not run a redlight or a stop light. lol!
- This is a forum, so I dont think anyone could sue you for following advice given on a forum, (ON 2nd thought!, unless it was somewhere in the license agrement LOL!)

** BUT ANYWAY **
DOES ANYONE EVER COAST IN THEIR TRANS AM????? SHIFTING INTO NEUTRAL SO THAT THEIR RPM'S GO DOWN - KINDA THE EQUIVALENT OF CLUTCHING IN AN M6 ( I KNOW SOME PEOPLE THAT DO IT & I FIND THIS TO BE O.D AND IF YOU HAVE TO DO ALL THAT TO SAVE GAS THEN YOU SHOULDNT BE DRIVING A LS1)
Old 03-29-2011, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car with a lid and filter, 6 speed and 3.73's got just short of 31 mpg one time. I averaged 28-29 normally on the highway. I had the a/c off, cruise set at 70, and windows up on the 31. When I did the cam, heads, intake, tb, headers, duals, 12 bolt it dropped to 24-27 mpg. The 12 bolt had 4.11's in it. City driving was about 14.5 to 15.0 mpg, I really had to baby it to get that. Just switched to a rpm lvl5 a4 with a 3800 triple disk stall and 3.73's. I figure if I can get 22 mpg on the highway then I'll be happy. City I'm sure is going to be absolutely terrible. Also the longer the trip the better the mileage would get.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe77
being in canada also means i get killed at the border if I were to order a moser 9 or s60. If I was in the states id have a rear, but I get charged 13% taxes
omg, you don't know how lucky you are, I pay about 30% here... and I don't even want to talk about shipping... 7000miles shipping is very expensive. So just buy it if you want it. You can show lower price at the border if you like
Old 04-01-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

2.73 gears. That's how I save gas

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Tips & Tricks A4 Trans am