Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOMN8R's 2000 TransAm 4L80E Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool swap? How strong is an 80e's OD unit?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
very cool swap? How strong is an 80e's OD unit?
Not sure what you mean, but i dont think they are designed to hold full power pulls in OD (mile etc...).

To the previous post about tunnel mods, i ended up making room for the cooling lines as you can see as well. No biggie to me. Nobody sees your tunnel.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
Not sure what you mean, but i dont think they are designed to hold full power pulls in OD (mile etc...).

To the previous post about tunnel mods, i ended up making room for the cooling lines as you can see as well. No biggie to me. Nobody sees your tunnel.
yeah i was wondering just the above. just curious. I know an 80e came behind some early d maxes and those guys lock it up at WOT in OD,
Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you think it's possible to make room for the plug without cutting? I hate to cut anything in my car, especially underbody, where it will rust like crazy. It looks like not too much hammering is needed to fit it, did you think about that?
Old 05-09-2011, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vetal
Do you think it's possible to make room for the plug without cutting? I hate to cut anything in my car, especially underbody, where it will rust like crazy. It looks like not too much hammering is needed to fit it, did you think about that?
I dont think its possible, it lands right on the "frame" piece. Too strong to dent imo. Paint over it after you cut. If cutting is a concern you may want to reconsider the swap, its a bit of work.

Good luck.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon

It depends on the power. There are some mods that can be done to it to get it to hold probably 750+ RWHP.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

OP, is tranny mount located the same height as with T56? I'm trying to figure out how to modify my T56 crossmember (correct height)
Old 05-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Launching!

what program did you tune your car with? did you use efi live or hptuners? Thanks
Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

I had a short season last year with the car due to thrust bearing failure in my motor. We are pretty confident that high pressure within the torque converter caused excess pressure being applied to the crank. I took the transmission to a transmission shop in Elburn, IL, very impressed. The converter feed passage was tapped and restricted to limit this pressure and had it dyno’d on a transmission dyno to monitor these pressures. I guess this is a common problem in TH400's and 4l80e's from what I have heard.

I decided to sell the Yank PY3400 and move to a triple disk Circled 258mm unit.

We decided to take converter to flexplate and pilot bearing clearances before we installed the transmission. So we bolted them together.

The recommended clearance from the converter pads (when converter is pushed in all the way) to the flexplate is between 3/32" and 3/16". We measured 11/64" or .172", we were about perfect. We used a drill bit to measure this, then a caliper to verify that.

We were able to turn the converter so the pads didnt hit the flex plate pads and push it towards the motor to verify adequate pilot clearance. It was recommended to us to have .100". We had .150" or so.

Next step is getting a better coolant fitting for the return from the transmission cooler to promote better flow....
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry for not answering earlier, after the car took a dump I took a few month break from cars!

Originally Posted by badblazeSS
what program did you tune your car with? did you use efi live or hptuners? Thanks
Hptuners with 4l80e segment swap from guy on hptuners forum.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
I'm doing nearly the exact swap now too. 01 van tranny into a '98 TA, Circle D 4k stall. I found a rear 6an fitting that made the install way easier, though the main trans electrical plug seems pulled a little too tight for comfort.
Sounds like yours has been in a little bit already, did you have any issues with the shifter positioning? I've seen a few posts about not being able to get to get the 80's to fully engage in every gear due to shifter detent spacing. Not sure if that's just aftermarket shifters or stock ones too...
The guy that helped me put my 4L80E in my old car, after getting it off the lift called me and told me it felt like 1st and 2nd gear were engaging at the same time and that the shift into 1st(mvb) didn't click or feel firm when it did this.

I showed up, shifted it back into park, and down shifted it into 1st like a normally do(ratchet shifter) and made sure I gave it a little extra bump into 1st gear and it didn't do it anymore.

I think you are right about the detent though, I had to constantly tighten or loosen my shifter cable to make it feel "right" when I shifted it into the next gear.

Quick Reply: DOMN8R's 2000 TransAm 4L80E Build