Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which atf fluid is good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
I recommend the end users go with what their builder recommends, not someone who heard from their brother in law's friend who read an opinion on the internet from a synthetic fluid dealer who said blah,blah, blah...
ROTFLMAO! Reminds me of a movie...Bueller Bueller Bueller Bueller.......oh yeah he's sick!

Excellent explanations in your posts in this thread BTW and all true in my opinion. Nice to see a sponsor type a detailed post telling the way it is!

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
I just thought of something. On yanks card that came with converter it says sythetic is not recomended but dex 6 is ok. UMMMMM?!?!
I'm pretty sure that most Dex 6 fluids are a synthetic blend. Dex 6 is not a fully synthetic oil is what I read a while back. IIRC this came from a gm tech bulletin when the oils first came out. Vince
Old 04-09-2011, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul57
It seems like a mechanical failure usually shows up relatively soon. A leak may take a little more time. Hopefully you'll be OK. If you kept clean fluid in it all along then there is a better chance that everything will be fine but having the first new fluid/change in at 94k would make me nervous.
hmmm well, I did a pan fluid change maybe 2-3k before doing my converter and before that idk. I bought the car in under 2 years ago so idk what they did before. I can say that the fluid looked pretty good when I changed it though. Oh and lets see, since I did converter and put 9 qts in I already put about 1200 miles on it. Everything seems great at the moment. Even Don at Slowhawk performance said trans shifts pretty good for the miles when it was being tuned on the dyno.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I will 100% GUARANTEE you that synthetic is a step up from conventional...probably several steps. I am not sure what the explanation was getting at but it seems misleading. It does not take any more pressure to make your tranny function properly with synthetic than it does with conventional. You have obviously found this out because you are already using synthetic. I have used it in three different vehicles with zero tranny adjustments and it works fine.

I have nothing to gain here!!! I am just trying to help you guys save money by significantly prolonging the life of your trans with substantially reduced wear.
I can take a **** in a box and mark it guaranteed.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

This seems to sum it up fairly well. Although, I think 98+% of people will find FAR greater benefits of prolonged transmission life verses the millisecond that got lost in shifting...unless you are running a "strip only" vehicle in sub 9 second range. Besides, the insignificant loss in shifting (speed) can be compensated for by added pressure.
What kind of prolonged transmission life are you talking about?

We're talking about built transmissions that are going to take a beating and typically have hard parts failures. So synthetic fluid will prevent my shafts, sprag, planetaries, etc. from breaking? I prefer clean, fresh fluid in my trans and running Dex III makes it easy on the wallet. I know that if my trans ever does fail, there's a 99.9% chance it will NOT be a fluid related failure.

You must be a dealer or sales rep for Amsoil.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a dealer or rep for Amsoil or any other. I have seen/read/heard/experienced so many positive things about synthetic in engines/trans etc. that I tend to make a very strong stand for them...why...I don't know why...it seems like a real waste of time trying to convince some of you guys and I am just trying to help you guys out, that is my only motive. Synthetic is still an uphill battle because of what people have been taught for 50+ years...change oil and filter at 2,000 or 3,000 miles or whatever. You can leave synthetic in for twice as long or more than conventional and it will still protect better...color is not an accurate indicator or how well it protects. I made the statement before that it will not prevent breakage but there are plenty of people on here that will wear there transmissions or engines out before breaking them...and some parts break because of too much wear.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
I can take a **** in a box and mark it guaranteed.
If that is the best you can do??
Old 04-09-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
hmmm well, I did a pan fluid change maybe 2-3k before doing my converter and before that idk. I bought the car in under 2 years ago so idk what they did before. I can say that the fluid looked pretty good when I changed it though. Oh and lets see, since I did converter and put 9 qts in I already put about 1200 miles on it. Everything seems great at the moment. Even Don at Slowhawk performance said trans shifts pretty good for the miles when it was being tuned on the dyno.
Sounds like someone took fairly good care of it before you. I would have expected any problems to show up by 1000 miles. Any negative effects that come from changing from bad fluid to good usually show up quite quickly as previously stated in another post...he wasn't touching his 200,000+ mile trans...he knows
Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's the old way of thinking. Just like warming up your car for 10 minutes.

It's hard to convince people that times have changed and what was working 30 and 40 years ago doesn't hold true with today's technology and better understanding of how things work.

Eventually, it's to eaches own. But I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find a new car that doesn't require synthetic fluids..
Old 04-09-2011, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sempire
But I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to find a new car that doesn't require synthetic fluids..
thats because manufactures want long life out of their cars due to all the waranties offered now... Not dragstrip performance!

Quick Reply: Which atf fluid is good?