Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent!!!! Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED---

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Urgent!!!! Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED---

I got ready to mate my powerglide with my LQ4, and I was to believe that the converter was made to fit a LS flexplate. But I am obviously wrong. Heres some background info about it to help diagnose:

-When the converter is seated from the bolt locaions on the converter to the face of the bellhousing is 1" to 1 1/8"

-My flexplate is a PRW LS SFI approved flexplate

-When the flexplate is bolted it does not align with the starter, looks like the flexplate sits about 3/8" to far back.

- The nose of the converter DOES fit into the stock LQ4 crank fine.

When I tried to mate the two together the converter would hit the flexplate leaving about 1/2"-5/8" gap from the block to the bellhousing.

I supplyed 7 picture of everything i think you all would need to see to let me know what the hell is going on. Is the converter not made for LS flexplate, and i need the adapter, or is the flexplate not right?????
Attached Thumbnails Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----006.jpg   Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----007.jpg   Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----008.jpg   Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----009.jpg   Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----010.jpg  

Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----011.jpg   Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----012.jpg   Urgent!!!!  Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED----013.jpg  

Last edited by BlackWS666; 06-05-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is your flex plate flat or does it have a curve or dish to it? Can you get a measurement on the height? From the crank surface to the converter surface.

Chris
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Circle-D
Is your flex plate flat or does it have a curve or dish to it? Can you get a measurement on the height? From the crank surface to the converter surface.

Chris
The flexplate bows outwards from the motor. If it would help i will mate them together and show you the problem. The converter goes into the crank about 1/2" and the tabs on the converter are seated to the flexplate. But the bellhousing is not even close to the block, 5/8" probably.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i may be missing something here..but the problem looks to be with the flywheel and not the converter...i just finished a glide in my 01 ss...my flywheel isnt nearly so far out the back as yours....almost looks like its on backwards...otherwise it looks to be the wrong flywheel...the depth measurement on the converte face to bell face looks about right
Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

what year model is the crank ?pull the spacer out if it has one this should bring the flexplate back towards the block .
Old 05-30-2011, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1-87 chevy
what year model is the crank ?pull the spacer out if it has one this should bring the flexplate back towards the block .
+1. you dont need that spacer
Old 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Luke Skyjacker
+1. you dont need that spacer
I dont believe its a spacer, the crank is actually that long on this model.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 AM
FormerVendor

Measure the crank to block and the height of the flexplate. I need exact numbers though, not about 1/2 inch.

Chris
Old 05-31-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sent you a message Chris, Thanks for all the help man.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BlackWS666
Sent you a message Chris, Thanks for all the help man.
Your welcome!!

Chris
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

here is what i suspect-you have either a "long" crank, or .400 spacer on it
a "short" crank or no spacer will stick past the rear seal just a tiny bit, less than 1/8" roughly
since the converter regis in the crank, it isnt LS style, more like stock specs
you need a stock 4L80E flywheel, if its a long style crank-if it is a rem. spacer, you can get one of the after market ones, like from TCI, they are thicker and have their own spacer
the spacers have 2 threaded holes, you can screw 2 bolts in and it will pull it off
going from memory, i believe the correct flywheel spacing for the starter will be aprx 7/16", meas from the back ot the block to the back of the starter ring
on the flywheel
i have a stock spacer and flywheel laying around if you need a pic
Old 06-02-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

re reading your post, it sounds like the trans bellhousing doesnt reach the engine after converter registers in crank? my stock spacer has 8 holes, 2 are threaded, your end of the crank has 7, one prob for a dowell pin nobody uses, lol-so i think you have a long crank?
w/o the flywheel, if the converter/trans wont bolt up(converter seated all the way) my guess is the converter is for an LS-lay a straight edge across the mtg pads, meas up to the end of the snout
Old 06-02-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by forcd ind
re reading your post, it sounds like the trans bellhousing doesnt reach the engine after converter registers in crank? my stock spacer has 8 holes, 2 are threaded, your end of the crank has 7, one prob for a dowell pin nobody uses, lol-so i think you have a long crank?
w/o the flywheel, if the converter/trans wont bolt up(converter seated all the way) my guess is the converter is for an LS-lay a straight edge across the mtg pads, meas up to the end of the snout
I gave Chris a Circle-D all my measurements, and yes its a long crank. He did a few measurements and found me a possible solution. I had him 2nd day the flywheel to me with a few spacers, and whatever else he thought i needed. Once it gets here tomorrow I will post up pics if it worked or not. Thanks for the help though man!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem solved!! The problem was my crank was sticking out .500/.525" from the block. Where as most others only stick out .300" or so. Chris from Circle-D helped me solve the problem, and ended up sending me a CRS flexplate with a spacer, and shims for the converter. Bolted it on about a hour ago, and is worked perfect. The highest of props to Chris!!!!!

If i ever buy anything else to do with a transmission, Chris will be the first one I call period!!!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by forcd ind
you need a stock 4L80E flywheel, if its a long style crank...

...if it is a rem. spacer, you can get one of the after market ones, like from TCI, they are thicker and have their own spacer.
I know that I have the long style crank. So that means to get my powerglide to bolt up with a powerglide converter, I need the stock 4l80E flywheel/flexplate, correct?

What do I do if I need an SFI approved flexplate?

Would I just use this flexplate but not use the spacer that it comes with, since my crank is long and essentially has the built in spacer already?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-399754/?rtype=10

Last edited by SATAN; 11-04-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Urgent!!!! Powerglide to lq4 problem---SOLVED---