Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny stuck and wont drop

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny stuck and wont drop

I began the tranny swap yesterday, and a day later, I'm still not even half done. Its embarrassing, but more annoying as hell. I now have 7 bolts off the bell housing (this is the only thing left). I dont see the 8th bolt. The hole where it should be is blank. However, I do see a bolt in the center of the 3bolts holes on both sides (on both sides of the tranny, there are 3holes that are close to each other. The bolt I'm referring to is smack in the center). This bolt is on the left and right side. Here's the strange thing. Its NOT like the other bellhousing bolts. I cant access it because it's recessed. I first thought it was a guide for the tranny to sit properly, but the ****** tranny wont come off. The bolts on either side are recessed, and any socket that fits will have to be small enough to fit into the bolt hole, and be at least a size 11-12mm to take off the bolt. No socket I have is small enough to fit into the bellhousing bolt holes. Can anyone offer any suggestions before I call a tow truck and take this thing to a shop.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

are you talking about the dowl pin holes????
Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-pin-hell.html
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. I just freed it. I went back right after posting, and tackled it. The most annoying 6hours of my life went into this crap today. All the while staring at a 2mm gap at the bottom, and wondering why the top wouldnt come loose. Just as I figured, it was a guide, or dowel pin as you said. Stupid pos! It was seized on the passenger side. I hammered a flathead in there, and pried from the driver side. So I just spent the last 24hrs and all I've been able to do it pull the tranny. Embarrassing!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

not embarrassing,there have been past posts that took longer.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I sure hope you are using a lift
Old 07-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by puddingmmmmmmmm
I sure hope you are using a lift
Nope. I thought I could do it without one. Apparently I forgot just how difficult it was to swap trannies on jackstands, since the last time was 7yrs ago. I just suspended work for tonight. I'm tired and bumped my head so I'm even more pissed now. I didnt think it would be this difficult, considering that I've swapped trannies at least 5 times in another vehicle.
It was difficult for me to drop the tranny because I had to disconnect a section of the exhaust. Doing that on a non-stock exhuast with headers, long tubes and ORY on a daily driver is no joke. Prior to that, I could barely reach the bolts and kept wondering wtf people were talking about when they say that the engine drops slightly for you to reach the bolts on top. Well, apparently my exhaust was preventing the engine from dropping (it was tilting and I thought that was its extent), and it took a while to figure that out.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine was a pita to get separated. Those pins really do stick.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they replaced my tranny a few months ago, it was pretty stuck, so the guy grabbed a 4 or 5 foot long pry bar. That thing had the tranny loose in just a few seconds. That prybar was definately a sight to see. Like Gandalf's staff. You shall not remain stuck to the engine!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:20 PM

well you mean 6 bolts on the bell housing right? thats how many lts and sbcs have. unless your talking about a ls1. i never messed with them at all. I just pulled my 4l60 out twice in my z28. get a REAL long extension i mean like 2-3 foot with a swivel on take your time. thats how i did mine. and another tip that worked for me is when putting them back it, put the bolt in the socket your using and put a little electrical tape around it, not alot just enough to hold it. keep the socket dirty so the tape doesnt stay on very hard. that way you can start it with just the ratchet.

they suck to pull out
Old 07-30-2011, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

and dont forget to anti seize the dowel pins and t/c pilot when you put it back in.
Or you'll have the same problem next time. I just pulled my tranny for the second time, and it was coming apart as i was loosening the last bolt. Dropped right out. Took 2 hrs total.